Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Kid not flushing?????

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 5:59 am
Has anyone had this?

My 8 year old perpetually leaves the toilet unflushed after she goes (she also keeps it in forever and only goes once it's an emergency, but that's a different story....)

It bothers me to no end, although I keep my emotional reaction in check and calmly call her to flush it every time. Still, she keeps on forgetting.

Is this normal?? If you ever dealt with such a situation how did you handle it?

(As a side note this child admittedly does have some focusing issues that we are working on... she's bright and personable but has a harder time with responsibility.)

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:18 am
Yes, it is a known problem for those who struggle with executive functioning.

Whenever someone posts about a child with ongoing problems in focusing, I suggest that if you haven't yet gotten her evaluated to rule out ASD and/or ADHD, you might want to consider it.

You may have to devote a little extra time and energy to this, just as you would do when first training a child. Catch her as she goes into the bathroom and call out a reminder. Have a sign saying "remember to flush" posted in the bathroom where she'll see it. And check right away when she comes out, so you can call her back as needed.

Be sure to praise her every time you hear the flush, and thank her for remembering. If that's not enough, you may want to try a chart and prize (discussed privately, for obvious reasons.)

Hatzlacha!

avrahamama

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:28 am
Soooooooo up until we'll into adulthood. I was afraid of flushing the toilet at night. Like even married adulthood... BH my husband really helped me get over that.

Is it possible your child is afraid?

Teomima

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:33 am
Is there a reason? One kid of mine who often "forgot" turned out she really didn't like the noise. So now she goes, washes her hands, and flushes right before escaping the room so she can avoid the noise. Maybe yours is experiencing something similar?

rzab

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:33 am
Start at about 3.30...
Yeah, it's not just your dd

https://youtu.be/CX61JSXLl_Q

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:22 pm
Teomima wrote:
Is there a reason? One kid of mine who often "forgot" turned out she really didn't like the noise. So now she goes, washes her hands, and flushes right before escaping the room so she can avoid the noise. Maybe yours is experiencing something similar?

I would ask her, but I think it's related more to forgetfulness.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:24 pm
imasinger wrote:
Yes, it is a known problem for those who struggle with executive functioning.

Whenever someone posts about a child with ongoing problems in focusing, I suggest that if you haven't yet gotten her evaluated to rule out ASD and/or ADHD, you might want to consider it.

You may have to devote a little extra time and energy to this, just as you would do when first training a child. Catch her as she goes into the bathroom and call out a reminder. Have a sign saying "remember to flush" posted in the bathroom where she'll see it. And check right away when she comes out, so you can call her back as needed.

Be sure to praise her every time you hear the flush, and thank her for remembering. If that's not enough, you may want to try a chart and prize (discussed privately, for obvious reasons.)

Hatzlacha!

Great advice!! Thank you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics