Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Corona in young people can be bad
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:05 pm
I keep hearing people saying corona is just like the flu.
I am 32 years old. 10 days ago I was swimming 2 miles straight in a little over an hour. Now, I can’t walk down the steps without my oxygen saturation getting seriously low and stopping to catch my breath. I have had a high fever for over a week. I am on high dose of steroids, antibiotics (I have pneumonia also) , and more meds than I can count right now.

My husband who is the healthiest of us just has a fever and a cough and no sense of taste or smell. Fever still running after a week.

Now let’s move onto my kids . One son was rushed to the hospital yesterday with a oxygen level of 73. They just barely managed to stabilize him without needing serious intervention. He also has had a week of high fever.
My daughter Bh has a light case, just 103 fever and a sore throat.
Taking care of my kids while being this sick and not being able to get outside help is a nightmare.
You don’t want it happening to you.

CrazyDaisie

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:07 pm
רפואה שלמה
I am very sorry to hear that.

Thank you for warning the tsibur. Too many people are aloof.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:11 pm
Refuah Shleima! I know how you feel! I am in my low 20s and I was so sick in April! I thought I was going to die! I was up at night, barely breathing afraid to fall asleep...
I barely had strength to go to the bathroom a few steps away from my bed, I was terribly nauseous, weak like a fly.... I could barely breath, my nose and eyes were on fire.... The fever caused chills and hot flashes...
I never ever felt like that in my life. I thank hashem my husband didn't get it then so he could take care of my kids.
Yes young people can get sick. The chances of dying cv are lower.
After a week I was almost back to myself bh, and cooking for pesach, which I think is because of my young age. My older family members took weeks and weeks to get their strength back!
Hugs! Hang in there!

gold21

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:12 pm
When people say corona is just like the flu, I tune them out. It's not. It's just like.... OK, sure, k bye. Many people have bad experiences with corona. It is not the same as the flu.

For children it is usually quite mild. I'm sorry to hear that your son had a bad case. That is not common, but that is irrelevant- it happened to your child and that's awful. Poor kid. Hope he's back to himself quickly!

Feel better. Refuah Sheleimah.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:31 pm
I had the flu as a child and I was vomiting non stop for 7 days. I had chills and high fever and was to weak to lift my head. My mom was holding oranges to my lips so I can suck out the juice and not starve. I once had the flu as an adult and I was sick, but not nearly as bad.
All of my grandparents got corona and none of them Knew they had it. Two of them have prostate cancer.
My husbands grandmother currently has pancreatic cancer as well as many other health issues. She is very overweight and over 80 years old. Basically name any risk factor, she has it. She had corona. We only know about it, because she had antibodies. More children die of the flu then of corona.

Basically, corona is exactly like the flu. Some people die from it, some people don’t even know they have it.

I’m sorry that you are one of the people who is suffering terribly.

number

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:33 pm
It seems to be genetic which is why some families have a bad case and others are totally fine. I hope you heal soon. Hug

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:33 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I had the flu as a child and I was vomiting non stop for 7 days. I had chills and high fever and was to weak to lift my head. My mom was holding oranges to my lips so I can suck out the juice and not starve. I once had the flu as an adult and I was sick, but not nearly as bad.
All of my grandparents got corona and none of them Knew they had it. Two of them have prostate cancer.
My husbands grandmother currently has pancreatic cancer as well as many other health issues. She is very overweight and over 80 years old. Basically name any risk factor, she has it. She had corona. We only know about it, because she had antibodies. More children die of the flu then of corona.

Basically, corona is exactly like the flu. Some people die from it, some people don’t even know they have it.

More adults die from covid than from the flu. Many times more.

gold21

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:38 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

More children die of the flu than they do of corona, but the reverse is true for adults, who tend to have more complicating health issues than children do. Children typically have mild cases of corona, if they catch it at all, while adults typically catch the flu less frequently.

In a typical flu season, most people cannot name more than a couple people tops that they personally know that were hospitalized for the flu. The same cannot be said for corona. Death rate aside, hospitalization rate is much higher for corona. Going by death rate alone doesn't tell you how severe the virus is and how many complicated cases of it there are- it only gives you the actual fatality rate.

Last edited by gold21 on Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

small bean

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:40 pm
Accoesing to the cdc 800k people in the US are hospitalized for the flu.

gold21

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:41 pm
small bean wrote:
Accoesing to the cdc 800k people in the US are hospitalized for the flu.

And how many for corona?

gold21

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:42 pm
I'm curious, do you know many people who were hospitalized for the flu? Just going off anecdotal evidence alone, what sort of conclusion would you draw about hospitalization rates of flu vs corona, and why?

gold21

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:43 pm
I'm not a corona-crazy. I'm a reasonable person. I'm anti-lockdown, that's for sure.

But I like facts. They're my drug of choice.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:44 pm
gold21 wrote:
More children die of the flu than they do of corona, but the reverse is true for adults, who tend to have more complicating health issues than children do. Children typically have mild cases of corona, if they catch it at all, while adults typically catch the flu less frequently.

In a typical flu season, most people cannot name more than a couple people tops that they personally know that were hospitalized for the flu. The same cannot be said for corona. Death rate aside, hospitalization rate is much higher for corona. Going by death rate alone doesn't tell you how severe the virus is and how many complicated cases of it there are- it only gives you the actual fatality rate.

True. But since corona is new and very contagious, way more people got corona at the same time than get the flu. So many people died from neglect and lack of care, because of overcrowded hospitals, and doctors who killed them by putting them on vents. Corona is not a deathly disease. It just isn’t.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:47 pm
All I can tell you is that at the hospital they did everything they could to not admit us because the covid ward was full and they didn’t want us walking around the ER. The hospitals were packed.
I also used to be smug that I am healthy (ish) and in good shape. It hasnot helped.

gold21

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:49 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
True. But since corona is new and very contagious, way more people got corona at the same time than get the flu. So many people died from neglect and lack of care, because of overcrowded hospitals, and doctors who killed them by putting them on vents. Corona is not a deathly disease. It just isn’t.

I agree that hospital neglect (and lack of access to therapeutics- hi Cuomo, I'm looking at you, you hypocrite) was a major cause of death for covid. And like you said, the fact that it's a novel virus means that so many people caught it at once (noone with any sort of immunity), inflating numbers.

However, hospitalization rates for covid cannot be compared to hospitalization rates for flu. Few of us know more than one or two people who were hospitalized for flu. Most of us know more than one or two people who were hospitalized for covid. Survival rate after hospital admission is a separate point. Perhaps better access to early therapeutics would bring the hospitalization rate down. (Cuomo? Hi? It's me again.)

Last edited by gold21 on Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:49 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

Bottom line, if a lot of people are dying, it's deadly.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
All I can tell you is that at the hospital they did everything they could to not admit us because the covid ward was full and they didn’t want us walking around the ER. The hospitals were packed.
I also used to be smug that I am healthy (ish) and in good shape. It hasnot helped.

I’m not smug, because I know young people who got it really bad. But I’m not going to worry about it either. When I get it I’ll find out. Chances are it’ll be mild. And if it’s not, then I’ll suffer. But I’m not going to lockdown over the chance I might suffer in the future.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:51 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

Where do you get your info from? Do you have stats on this neglect? On doctors killing patients? You don't see how many people have died of Covid?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:52 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Bottom line, if a lot of people are dying, it's deadly.

So then the flu is deadly too. You can’t have it both ways.

gold21

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:54 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Where do you get your info from? Do you have stats on this neglect? On doctors killing patients? You don't see how many people have died of Covid?

If we, as a society, are very concerned about the fatality rate of covid, we need to be less hesitant about allowing patients to access therapeutics. Move it, bro. People don't have months to wait when they're sick.

(Regeneron could have saved lives. Now it's approved? What about the people who were sick three months ago? And plasma. Even HCQ. Resdemsvir. Etc.)

Last edited by gold21 on Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics