Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Corona in young people can be bad
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:37 am
Op,
Are LOTS of local HS girls who recently had covid.I
I saw some On shabbos who told me they are covid babysitters (for pay).
Ask bikur cholim if they know of any who will help you with your kids as a chessed.
Refuah sheleimah!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:52 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Op,
Are LOTS of local HS girls who recently had covid.I
I saw some On shabbos who told me they are covid babysitters (for pay).
Ask bikur cholim if they know of any who will help you with your kids as a chessed.
Refuah sheleimah!

I am in regular touch with Bikkur Cholim, they have been sending us food and running errands for us , they know our situation, but will ask again. I wonder if it's changed in the last week. We did find a high school girl for a couple hours but her mother (who was sick) also needed her. It's very hard to find someone who is covid positive but is feeling well enough to take care of other kids and their mother doesn't need them. We have made a lot of calls.
If you know who I am can you message me names?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 11:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bumping this up in case anyone can help.
I have been sick for a month now and my husband has also been sick for part of that time but has been off of work to watch the kids. It’s been a crazy financial month with a lot of added expenses from medicines that insurance won’t cover to paying doctors to do house visits to being off of work to all the extra money of things to keep my kids occupied .

[link removed by mod. OP, please get Yael's okay to post a request for donations. Ladies, for everyone's safety, please donate only to requests on this site that have Yael's verification. Thanks!]

I did get permission from Yael, I just can’t find my original thread to bump that. I pm'ed a mod to verify myself .

[Verified. Here's the link again: https://thechesedfund.com/prem.....iness -merelyme, as mod]

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:00 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Maybe if people actually wore the masks all the time they would be more effective.

Or if they wore it correctly. I'm so curious if all those "studies" that masks don't work are taking into account typical usage. Like masks being actually - on their chin, hanging from their ears....

Also, all you need is one non-compliant person in a crowded room to infect everyone.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 1:29 pm
Thank you for Jewish geography! We got a babysitter and an icecream delivery 😇. Now my husband can start the mountain of laundry.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 2:34 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Or if they wore it correctly. I'm so curious if all those "studies" that masks don't work are taking into account typical usage. Like masks being actually - on their chin, hanging from their ears....

Also, all you need is one non-compliant person in a crowded room to infect everyone.

I also see studies where the people in the mask group went out to restaurants. Sorry, anyone eating out in a restaurant should not be considered eligible for the study as a participant who wears masks. That's a highly likely source of infection and obviously the restaurant is filled with UNMASKED diners.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 2:51 pm
I always hate these threads. "Guys, guess what? I got sick and I'm feeling REALLY SICK!"

I had pneumonia way before Covid was a thing, and guess what? I also got really sick! Should I start my own PSA, "Everyone, pneumonia is serious! Don't GET IT!!!" Like, gee, thanks.

Right now, 16 million people in the US have Covid. Some of the hardest hit are the ones with the most restrictions. Every day, officials want to look important and get re-elected. "Stay home!" they shout, as they give press talks without a mask. "Social distance!" they emphasize, as they eat at restaurants with campaign donors.

Covid is everywhere, and you can blame whoever you want to blame. But it's here in the US, and if you leave your house, it's there too. I don't care which grocery store or wedding or family you want to blame, there's no such thing as blaming anymore. Who should I have blamed for my pneumonia? It just is.

I get that people want to be angry, but your anger is misplaced. It's a virus that spreads through the air like a cold.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I also see studies where the people in the mask group went out to restaurants. Sorry, anyone eating out in a restaurant should not be considered eligible for the study as a participant who wears masks. That's a highly likely source of infection and obviously the restaurant is filled with UNMASKED diners.

Yes, it's ridiculous to say that they were following all restrictions if they went out to eat in a restaurant. But even those who claim the were masked the entire time - well, based on my very unscientific research, I am extremely skeptical.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 3:25 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I always hate these threads. "Guys, guess what? I got sick and I'm feeling REALLY SICK!"

I had pneumonia way before Covid was a thing, and guess what? I also got really sick! Should I start my own PSA, "Everyone, pneumonia is serious! Don't GET IT!!!" Like, gee, thanks.

Right now, 16 million people in the US have Covid. Some of the hardest hit are the ones with the most restrictions. Every day, officials want to look important and get re-elected. "Stay home!" they shout, as they give press talks without a mask. "Social distance!" they emphasize, as they eat at restaurants with campaign donors.

Covid is everywhere, and you can blame whoever you want to blame. But it's here in the US, and if you leave your house, it's there too. I don't care which grocery store or wedding or family you want to blame, there's no such thing as blaming anymore. Who should I have blamed for my pneumonia? It just is.

I get that people want to be angry, but your anger is misplaced. It's a virus that spreads through the air like a cold.

I know personally, and I'm sure most other posters do as well, people who absolutely got covid from a simcha (they did not go anywhere else and there was actuallly someone who was at the simcha who was covid positive, so bingo). Some are now very sick, and I don't want to say more.

I think there really are some common sense precautions that can be taken. We can't eliminate covid but we can do our part to minimize the risk on an individual level, IMO.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 3:35 pm
Dear OP,

I am so happy that you got a babysitter!!!! Smile

Yay! My wasting time on ima bore fruit.

I know who you are in real life because of your chesedfund post. (Casually, not well at all. As in, say Good shabbos in passing, and I know your name and who you're related to locally. I do not know your imamother username.)

There are really several HS girls that had covid in the past few weeks, and a few of them are already done with their 10 days of quarantine.

Yes, it's chanukah vacation, but most ppl didn't go away, and there is nowhere to be locally besides for in your house. I'd bet that there are several girls who are going stir crazy Cooped up with their family for a week...or two..or three...or more (If they had covid recently!)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 3:36 pm
imorethanamother wrote:

My point of this thread is for all the people who aren’t worried about Covid because they are young and most young people get a mild case. I wanted (besides for some sympathy 🥰) to show people that it can be serious and is something to take seriously regardless of your age.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 5:28 pm
gold21 wrote:
I'm curious, do you know many people who were hospitalized for the flu? Just going off anecdotal evidence alone, what sort of conclusion would you draw about hospitalization rates of flu vs corona, and why?

Hospitals are lumping deaths by flu/pneumonia as covid for several months. There are differences of course and it's silly to say that just because people sometimes compare them that they are exactly the same. Yes flu is generally worse in kids, covid worse in adults. Covid a lot more contagious because it's novel duh.. bit all in all they're all respiratory issues that usually pass like nothing doing but sometimes gets really unexplainably nasty. And I know this is a hot button topic but a ton of hospital fatalities could've been avoided if they had a *J%N#@#%$ clue what they were doing.

[Watch yer mouth! — Rubber Ducky as Mod]

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My point of this thread is for all the people who aren’t worried about Covid because they are young and most young people get a mild case. I wanted (besides for some sympathy 🥰) to show people that it can be serious and is something to take seriously regardless of your age.

You don't have to answer, but do you and/or your son have any underlying medical issues? Your illnesses are quite severe....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:25 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
You don't have to answer, but do you and/or your son have any underlying medical issues? Your illnesses are quite severe....

Yes.
My son was born 2.5 months early and his lungs weren’t fully developed. He also has some developmental delays.
I have several chronic conditions, don’t want to go into details, but one of them is asthma which makes any type of respiratory illness get bad easily.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 7:01 pm
Many young people had the virus "mildly" and are experiencing lots of nasty aftereffects.
The flu is nothing like this and it's terribly insensitive to compare them.
A friend of mine who had it never had breathing issues before and now months afterwards she still gets very short of breath at times and she is still not back to herself
She is young, thin and healthy.
And im hearing this from lots of people

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 7:49 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I had the flu as a child and I was vomiting non stop for 7 days. I had chills and high fever and was to weak to lift my head. My mom was holding oranges to my lips so I can suck out the juice and not starve. I once had the flu as an adult and I was sick, but not nearly as bad.
All of my grandparents got corona and none of them Knew they had it. Two of them have prostate cancer.
My husbands grandmother currently has pancreatic cancer as well as many other health issues. She is very overweight and over 80 years old. Basically name any risk factor, she has it. She had corona. We only know about it, because she had antibodies. More children die of the flu then of corona.

Basically, corona is exactly like the flu. Some people die from it, some people don’t even know they have it.

I’m sorry that you are one of the people who is suffering terribly.

Just saying that these antibody tests may not be accurate.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 8:01 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Hospitals are lumping deaths by flu/pneumonia as covid for several months.

I love how everyone knows what hospitals are doing. Are you working in one? Are you signing death certificates? I’m tired of these conspiracy theories.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 8:02 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Hospitals are lumping deaths by flu/pneumonia as covid for several months. There are differences of course and it's silly to say that just because people sometimes compare them that they are exactly the same. Yes flu is generally worse in kids, covid worse in adults. Covid a lot more contagious because it's novel duh.. bit all in all they're all respiratory issues that usually pass like nothing doing but sometimes gets really unexplainably nasty. And I know this is a hot button topic but a ton of hospital fatalities could've been avoided if they had a *J%N#@#%$ clue what they were doing.

[Watch yer mouth! — Rubber Ducky as Mod]

What part of "new virus" is hard to understand?

They treated it like any other respiratory illness (just a flu, right?) and that turned out to be terrible for people ventilated too early.

Right now we already know more, but clearly not enough, because more people are dying daily than fill in the blank - 9/11? Pearl Harbor? whatever. no one cares.

As far as masks, I found this helpful:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/1......html

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:22 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I love how everyone knows what hospitals are doing. Are you working in one? Are you signing death certificates? I’m tired of these conspiracy theories.

There is currently very little flu in my area of NJ, according to my pediatrician.

Edited to clarify that this is a response to the the poster above who wrote that flu deaths are getting lumped in with covid deaths. (it may have happened back in March however)

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:52 pm
OP,
It’s so hard that you guys are sick for so long!! Refuah Shelaima! I donated a little something to your campaign.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics