Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 year old doesn’t want to eat in the morning

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:22 am
What would you do? He doesn’t want to eat anything before he leaves to playgroup. I know he usually gets hungry around 10ish but by then he’s at playgroup and he isn’t the type of kid to eat without being “fed”. I end up trying so hard to get him to eat before he leaves but he really isn’t interested so it’s a daily battle.

Any ideas?

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:24 am
What if you give him a choice?

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:29 am
Do they have snack time at playgroup in the morning?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:37 am
stillnewlywed wrote:
Do they have snack time at playgroup in the morning?

They do

flowerpower

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:41 am
Not every person has an appetite in the morning. Send along a sandwich or yogurt and have the teacher give it to him at snack time.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:48 am
Its very personal, but I wish I could could go back & hv allowed more room for my children to go with their hunger cues.

If you look up work by Gin Stephens, ****while IF certainly isn't for growing children**** I just want to make the point, that she uses scientific studies & research to educate, about dispelling myths we grew up with, that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, to eat 3 meals & snacks, to keep our metabolisms going. It's not true, & there's much growing research to show it's not beneficial.

Kids need structure, so parents should go with what works best for them & their family, there's also the balance of not letting kids have too many choices & enabling pickiness. but I think there's a lot of unnecessary mother fear of kids not eating Smile If they're hungry, they'll eat

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 8:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They do

So send breakfast for snack. Yogurt and cheerios and banana, a healthy muffin and cheese and fruit...

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 8:06 am
It takes time for the stomach to wake up sometimes. Ask the morah if you can send a sandwich or bag of cereal for him to eat at daycare once he wakes up a bit. Or you can wake him up early so he's ready to eat before you go.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 8:53 am
No one in my family eats breakfast. We just physically aren't hungry until later in the morning. I don't force my kids to eat before school but I send them healthy snacks and a good lunch so they're not hungry during the day.

My 2 year specifically will drink a little milk before school and maybe eat a few pieces of dry cereal if I'm lucky. I don't push it because it's not worth fighting about. He gets plenty of food spread out over the course of the day.

honey36

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 9:03 am
A few of my kids choose to skip breakfast most days. they may have a cup of milk, but that's it. Of course I offer it every day, but if they say no, that's totally fine. If their not hungry why should I force them to eat? Especially if they have snack at school around 10am, so that's their breakfast. I usually send cheese string and/or whole grain rice cakes etc.

Sage

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 10:02 pm
My son is the same way. He will drink his milk and not be hungry for anything else. His playgroup teacher started to let the kids eat breakfast in the morning when they come in Bec. So many parents has this problem
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics