Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Head banging

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 11:12 am
my 1 yr old bangs his head against the crib when he is trying to fall asleep. Is this ok? Should I try to prevent it? I have bumpers on all the other sides of the crib. He does it on the side that doesn't have holes. Do you have any ideas how I can stop it or make it cushioned on that side?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 12:01 pm
Bump

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 12:07 pm
Is he ready to go to sleep when you put him in?

I don't really know alot about head banging. But I fostered a little boy for several years. I remember that when he first came, he used to do this head banging thing (I was terrified). After about 2 weeks in my home, it stopped totally.

Maybe head banging happens for different reasons...but I would make sure he feels safe, comfortable, and ready to be put into the crib.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 12:11 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Is he ready to go to sleep when you put him in?

I don't really know alot about head banging. But I fostered a little boy for several years. I remember that when he first came, he used to do this head banging thing (I was terrified). After about 2 weeks in my home, it stopped totally.

Maybe head banging happens for different reasons...but I would make sure he feels safe, comfortable, and ready to be put into the crib.

Yeah he's ready. that's just how he falls asleep-he doesnt take a paci. He also does it in middle of the night if he wakes up and is trying to fall back asleep.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 12:22 pm
I just googled head banging:
Regularly tighten the screws and bolts on his crib because the motion may work them loose. Help your baby find other ways to unwind and comfort himself. Give him a warm bath before bed, a gentle massage, or spend extra time rocking him before putting him down to sleep.
Here's an article:
https://www.healthline.com/hea.....eaway

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 12:54 pm
Did it start after his routine vaccinations?

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 9:25 pm
He will proably outgrow it. My son banged his head on floor, into walls, indoors and outdoors from approx 9 months till 21 months. His head was covered in bruises. I spoke to every dr in pediatrician's group. They all said that as long as he is developing normally and otherwise healthy, ignore it. When I told him to stop, he did it more.
Reading your post, I realized that he stopped recently. I kept thinking it was a frustration thing and would stop once he learned to talk. However he still doesn't talk so I guess it was a (very long) phase.
Good luck.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 9:46 pm
my son still does it and he is 3.5. he does it on the couch, in the car, etc. was told not to be concerned until 5. he did it to the extent of a bump on the back of his head that would not go away because he kept rebanging. we had ultrasound done on it after a few months.
there are many reasons some of which are autism or insecurity (read its popular in orphanages etc) but it totally does not have to be these things. some kids just do it

gilamom

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 9:46 pm
Never thought it was a problem, my son did it as a toddler and outgrew it after a few months. He would get into a crawling position and butt his head against the bars of the crib repeatedly until he fell asleep. BH he's eight now and a very smart and wonderful boy, only thing is he liked to bang his head davka on one spot and the hair grows sparsely in that spot til today.

newinbp

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 10:30 pm
Best advice - switch your kid from a crib into a pack and play. I did that and it pretty much eliminated the situation - and my toddler used to do it in the crib and high chair. The pack and play sides are soft and they don't get the stimulus they are looking for. Worked for me. Good luck!

#BestBubby

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 11:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bump

LOL

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:18 am
My son did this on the floor. Turns out he had a sinus infection that didn't clear up. We took him to an ent for treatment
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics