Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Laundry Room or Laundry Closet

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:48 pm
I do not have a big house (1450 sqft) and I am working on plans to finish my basement (825 sqft). I am going to have 2 small bedrooms, a bathroom, a pesach kitchen/closet, a playroom and laundry room/closet. I have a few options for the laundry room/closet.

1) The machines are behind 2 closet doors and I open the doors to the laundry. There is no space at all to dry clothing so either have the clothing right outside the closet which is the play area or in one of the bedrooms. My oldest is six so the bedrooms are not really going to be used yet on a regular basis.

2) make a proper laundry room with space to have clothing dry but that really takes up a lot of space from the playroom and the play are is not all the large to begin with.

3)There is a nook three feet from the machines that the contractor said is a great place for a linen closet. Three feet from the machines is probably to tight of a workspace to make a wall so it would kind of be a walk in closet where I would put closet doors up and open them to work. I am not sure how well the the clothing would dry if I closed the doors as its a basement and its a tight space, but I guess I can leave the doors open and leave the clothing in the space to dry

Which option would you chose?

It seems like a crazy idea to just leave clothing hanging in the play area in option one. Is it safe to leave clothing with open closet doors in option three or also not?

SingALong

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 11:24 pm
Growing up my mother had a small laundry room in the basement right off the playroom. There was no room to dry anything in there. The clothes and linen were hung up to dry in the spare bedroom off the playroom. Laundry folding and ironing happened in the spare bedroom as well

zigi

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 11:32 pm
can you hang things to dry in a bathroom?

DREAMING

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:49 am
For now use the spare room. I used a spare room / play area when my machine was downstairs.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:52 am
Is there an option to combine the pesach kitchen with the laundry room? You can hang clothes all year except pesach.

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:55 am
Laundry room. Forget laundry, it's just a private place to go if you need a minute, if a kid needs to calm down, to talk privately with a kid, to talk privately with your husband.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:59 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Is there an option to combine the pesach kitchen with the laundry room? You can hang clothes all year except pesach.

I can’t do that based on the plumbing. The pesach kitchen an oven sink counter behind closet doors.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:01 am
Pretty sure I am not going to make a proper laundry room. Do I go with option of literally Jsut a closet or a bigger closet/tiny tiny room and get a linen closet?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:06 am
No opinion on the laundry room situation. But if you are having bedrooms in the basement, even guest rooms which will be used occasionally, please please please make sure you have egress windows.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Pretty sure I am not going to make a proper laundry room. Do I go with option of literally Jsut a closet or a bigger closet/tiny tiny room and get a linen closet?

How tiny will the bedroom be if you make that extra linen hanging closet?

If you make just a laundry closet, will there be room in there for the detergents?

You may want to just install a really sturdy shower rod in the bathroom and hang clothes there, so that you have a good amount of living space.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:35 am
ra_mom wrote:
How tiny will the bedroom be if you make that extra linen hanging closet?

If you make just a laundry closet, will there be room in there for the detergents?

You may want to just install a really sturdy shower rod in the bathroom and hang clothes there, so that you have a good amount of living space.

Laundry room is taking away from the play area it doesn’t affect bedrooms at all.

There will be room for detergents with whatever option I choose.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Laundry room is taking away from the play area it doesn’t affect bedrooms at all.

There will be room for detergents with whatever option I choose.

How big will the playroom be with the extra linen hanging closet? Will there be room for a toy closet as well?

familyfirst

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 2:14 am
Why egress windows? Please explain

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:56 am
familyfirst wrote:
Why egress windows? Please explain

Because someone might need to escape in the event of a fire.

It is illegal to have a bedroom if there is not an egress window - I.e. a window that is large enough for someone to crawl out of. If it isn't large enough they wouldn't even be able to be rescued by firemen.

Think about if there was a fire that blocked the ability of the occupant to travel from the bedroom to the outside.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry