Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How can I avoid using aluminum pans on shabbos?
1  2  Next

cheerios

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:49 am
I would like to use aluminium pans less. What can I used instead? On weekday I use pyrex but I assume I can not put it on the blech. Can pyrex go on a hotplate? Any other options?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:56 am
I have a real blech (Not hot plate) and use Pyrex on. It all the time

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:01 am
How about an oval covered roaster / Dutch oven pan, which can go on the blech?

cheerios

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:08 am
ra_mom wrote:
How about an oval covered roaster / Dutch oven pan, which can go on the blech?

I usually have a few things in the blech like chicken, kugel and a side dish. So would need a few of those...

cheerios

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:09 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I have a real blech (Not hot plate) and use Pyrex on. It all the time

Really? It's ok to do that? That would be the easiest - just to put the pyrex on the blech. Do you put it very far from the fire? Or just regular.

Sage

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:11 am
Yes! I use pyrex on the blech all the time!

chanchy123

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:14 am
I use pyrex on the plata all the time. I like that I can cook, heat, and serve my food in the same dish, the only downside is that they take up a lot of room in the fridge and aren’t super easy to stack.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:22 am
cheerios wrote:
Really? It's ok to do that? That would be the easiest - just to put the pyrex on the blech. Do you put it very far from the fire? Or just regular.

I tend to keep a super low flame and I don’t usually put directly atop the flame ciz it’s too hot (and dry food can burn) But I use the. Elf during the week too for keeping (wet) foods hot and have put it directly over flame without an issue

cheerios

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:23 am
Most of my pyrex has covers so I find it stacks very nicely in the fridge.

I think I'll try it out on the blech.
Thank you all!

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 4:59 am
cheerios wrote:
Most of my pyrex has covers so I find it stacks very nicely in the fridge.

I think I'll try it out on the blech.
Thank you all!

My pyrex are fine on my blech. Word of warning re the covers. They are NOT ovenproof. I discovered this the hard way by mistake. Took many hours of scrubbing to get all the melted plastic out the oven.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:09 am
I've seen Pyrex on blechs in people's houses, but after having two exploded pyrex dishes, I'm off Pyrex for good. I use stainless roasting pans, enameled cast iron and ceramic casseroles.

I don't like using aluminum disposables for health reasons, but the truth is they stack like nothing else and when I do high volume entertaining (I.e. YT with lots of family coming) it's very appealing so I will use them on those occasions but just line everything with unbleached baking paper.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:13 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I use pyrex on the plata all the time. I like that I can cook, heat, and serve my food in the same dish, the only downside is that they take up a lot of room in the fridge and aren’t super easy to stack.

Really? I find Pyrex stacks much more easily and neatly than aluminum pans.. even when I bake in aluminum, I only store in Pyrex in the fridge.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:21 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Really? I find Pyrex stacks much more easily and neatly than aluminum pans.. even when I bake in aluminum, I only store in Pyrex in the fridge.

I had to go and google Pyrex now - yes, I see why you would say that. I use glass storage containers that look just like the Pyrex (but I have another brand) and the rectangles stack and store very nicely. My Pyrex was old, odd shapes - round, oval, square, and rectangular, with handles that stuck out and very much not good for that. But I still think aluminum - if you have the matching aluminum lids are the best when ever inch counts since the sides are even bendable when necessary to fit tight spaces.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:24 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:

This probably depends on whether you have covers for them. I use it on the plata when it's just us and I don't have a lot to heat, but how do you stack to heat when you have multiple dishes that won't fit all at once? I have an old aluminum cake pan I like to use because it's lightweight but I'd love a healthier, non-disposable solution..

Tzippy323

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 6:11 am
I am so glad I can share this! I was thinking about ways that I could use my Corning Ware and Pyrex. I came up with a solution. Do you remember the water blech that used to boil out before Shabbos morning so was often not usable? Well, I invented something for myself. Take the deep 9x13 pan and fill it with boiling water before Shabbos, then cover tightly with a lid. Set it on your blech so it is gently bubbling. You can place anything on top of it without worry. You can use the pan for several weeks without worry. Good luck!

Another mom

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:08 am
If you mean an electric hotplate - not a blech on the gas.... I use pyrex all the time, even on the hottest parts of it.
Straight from the fridge to "plata" (Blech) to table!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:19 am
cheerios wrote:
I would like to use aluminium pans less. What can I used instead? On weekday I use pyrex but I assume I can not put it on the blech. Can pyrex go on a hotplate? Any other options?
Depending on if you mean the older blech that is on the fire or the newer electric platas, if a blech, my mother always just put all of the food into different metal pots on the blech and then used plates to cover the pots and warmed up other things on top of the pots that way. Never a problem.
If an electric plata, no issues with anything, but we always put everything on trivets on the plata.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:19 am
Are you trying to avoid using aluminum? Would lining with parchment paper make you feel better if so?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:50 am
You can use stainless steel steam table pans like these: https://www.amazon.com/Tiger-C.....r=1-7

They come in many modular sizes and stack well for storage.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:30 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
You can use stainless steel steam table pans like these: https://www.amazon.com/Tiger-C.....r=1-7

They come in many modular sizes and stack well for storage.

Cool! Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen