Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Are active posters extroverts in real life?
1  2  Next

paperflowers

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:21 am
I’ve been wondering because I’m exactly the same in real life and on Imamother. I’m not one to just jump into social situations or conversations. I participate, but I like to observe and sidle my way in. I often think I’m going to be more outgoing in a situation than I end up being. When I joined Imamother, I assumed I would be more extroverted because it’s on line, but nope! Not what happened.

There are some relatively new posters who are well known on here as if they’ve been active here forever. Are you like that in real life?

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:27 am
paperflowers wrote:
I’ve been wondering because I’m exactly the same in real life and on Imamother. I’m not one to just jump into social situations or conversations. I participate, but I like to observe and sidle my way in. I often think I’m going to be more outgoing in a situation than I end up being. When I joined Imamother, I assumed I would be more extroverted because it’s on line, but nope! Not what happened.

There are some relatively new posters who are well known on here as if they’ve been active here forever. Are you like that in real life?

I’m sure you don’t mean me but I’ll answer anyway. Wink
I’m very confident in new situations and have no issue striking up a convo with a stranger! Laugh
Doesn’t make me an extrovert by far. You do notice that this place is silent while real life can get very noisy?

paperflowers

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:36 am
Extra Credit, why on earth would you think I meant you????

You have a good point. This is more about confidence than extroversion (although the two are often related). I guess the question is if the people who are really confident on Imamother are also really confident in real life social situations.

Can you explain what you mean about it being quiet here and noisy in real life?

silverlining3

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:41 am
Paperflowers, you gotta mentions screen names. So people know who they are lol

EC, I'm the same with new situations and strangers. It's just so much easier

I don't converse so much back n forth in one thread, rather post my opinion, feeling and move on. But it's probably cuz I'm not great at expressing myself in writing.

Last edited by silverlining3 on Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:41 am
paperflowers wrote:
Extra Credit, why on earth would you think I meant you????

You have a good point. This is more about confidence than extroversion (although the two are often related). I guess the question is if the people who are really confident on Imamother are also really confident in real life social situations.

Can you explain what you mean about it being quiet here and noisy in real life?

First off, I liked both your posts. I try to remember such requests IRL too. Wink
Confidence and extroversion are not related! Extroverted people enjoy noise and parties. You can be confident and introverted or shy but extroverted.

paperflowers

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:48 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
First off, I liked both your posts. I try to remember such requests IRL too. Wink
Confidence and extroversion are not related! Extroverted people enjoy noise and parties. You can be confident and introverted or shy but extroverted.

Thanks for the likes Very Happy

If you look at the psychological literature, there are correlations between extroversion and things like having less anxiety and being more open to new experiences. There also are connections between confidence in your ability to do something and willingness to engage in that activity. I can’t think of a study that specifically looked at social confidence and extroversion, but it would seem that the two would be correlated. Not saying they are the same thing.

paperflowers

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:53 am
Re: what you said about strangers. My dh is proudly introverted, but loves talking to strangers! He’ll become best friends with a TSA agent, but stay home and read a book instead of going to a party.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:54 am
I wouldn’t be surprised if the more active posters are mostly introverts.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:55 am
paperflowers wrote:
Thanks for the likes Very Happy

If you look at the psychological literature, there are correlations between extroversion and things like having less anxiety and being more open to new experiences. There also are connections between confidence in your ability to do something and willingness to engage in that activity. I can’t think of a study that specifically looked at social confidence and extroversion, but it would seem that the two would be correlated. Not saying they are the same thing.

All you wrote is true but you can be still very socially confident and still prefer not to socialize!

giselle

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:55 am
I don’t think it has to do with extroverted vs introverted. Sometimes new posters will jump right in and really add to the forum, but sometimes new posters have no problem posting very controversial and fighting words and really bring the whole place down. Sometimes the poster is just trolling and sometimes they are just that socially off. We had a bunch of those during the real height of corona quarantine. Thankfully it seems to be mostly uneventful now, although I haven’t been on that much recently and may be missing any excitement if there is...

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:56 am
paperflowers wrote:
Re: what you said about strangers. My dh is proudly introverted, but loves talking to strangers! He’ll become best friends with a TSA agent, but stay home and read a book instead of going to a party.

So you answered your own question! Laugh

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:27 pm
Glad this is amother-enabled. High thread count, more introverted.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:29 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
I wouldn’t be surprised if the more active posters are mostly introverts.

Probably accurate. The extroverts are busy socializing leaving no time to post much.

Just One

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:36 pm
I'm way more extroverted in real life!

Life is hectic so I don't to spend more than a few minutes a day on imamother so usually just end up commenting on things that have significance to me or are easy info type questions

Also you'll usually only see my posts on the first page or two of a thread. If I comment on page 13 it's usually cuz I really got a bee in my bonnet!

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:48 pm
Eeeehhhhhhhh........
no. I’m quiet and shy in real life and I keep to myself

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:57 pm
I am fairly shy and introverted off screen. Not because I lack self confidence. (I did for many years but one of the by-products of my journey was learning about myself and questioning in the role I had been assigned by my parents, sibling and spouse. But that is a whole other conversation Smile )

The difference here versus in person, is that here people are asking for input, or advice and if I have an idea I will offer it up. The dynamic off screen is different. People are not necessarily as open to advice or opinions, so I normally hang back from offering them. So while I am bold here in speaking up, it is because of the nature of the interactions, not so much my personality.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:01 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I am fairly shy and introverted off screen. Not because I lack self confidence. (I did for many years but one of the by-products of my journey was learning about myself and questioning in the role I had been assigned by my parents, sibling and spouse. But that is a whole other conversation Smile )

The difference here versus in person, is that here people are asking for input, or advice and if I have an idea I will offer it up. The dynamic off screen is different. People are not necessarily as open to advice or opinions, so I normally hang back from offering them. So while I am bold here in speaking up, it is because of the nature of the interactions, not so much my personality.

Same

behappy2

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:06 pm
I actually use this forum to learn about myself, push boundaries and grow. So this forum helps me be the best version of myself here and out in the world. I've changed a lot since I first started posting here.

sequoia

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:07 pm
No.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:10 pm
paperflowers wrote:

That is me!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics