Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Poll:how many times did it take you 2 pass the driving test?
1  2  Next

Poll:how many times did it take you to pass the driving test?
1st try- in NY  
 31%  [ 51 ]
1st try - not in NY  
 21%  [ 35 ]
2nd try - in NY  
 15%  [ 26 ]
2nd try - not in NY  
 10%  [ 17 ]
3rd or 4h try - in NY  
 11%  [ 19 ]
3rd or 4th try- not in NY  
 5%  [ 9 ]
5th try - in NY  
 0%  [ 1 ]
5th try - not in NY  
 0%  [ 1 ]
6th or 7th try in NY  
 1%  [ 2 ]
6th or 7th try - not in NY  
 0%  [ 1 ]
8+ tries - in NY (please post number below)  
 0%  [ 1 ]
8+ tries not in NY (please post number below)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 163

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:24 am
I have a close relative who just failed her driving test for the sixth time (in NY). She's very discouraged and feels like giving up. I've taken her driving a few times and feel she's an ok driver - I think she just gets very nervous on the tests - having someone watch and mark her. I really want her to keep trying so am looking for stories to encourage her.

Also my dd is going to be taking the test (for the first time). Seeing this relative fail test after test is getting her nervous - so I don't mind also hearing from people who were able to pass on their 1st or 2nd try.

What mistakes did you do that you failed on? Do you think the driving test is an indiciater that your a good driver, or more what driving site and tester you get?

(In the poll I separated NY just bec that's where they are taking the tests)

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:25 am
NYC or NYS?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:27 am
gold21 wrote:
NYC or NYS?

In Brooklyn (nyc)

southernbubby

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:32 am
I was 16 and didn't have permission from my teacher when I took the test the first time but passed it a month later. Not bad for a teenager.

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:34 am
First time at 18

There are some locations that are known to be easier than others

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In Brooklyn (nyc)

Oh... Does she have to take it there? I hate city driving. Try a different location.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:38 am
My DH took his test while upstate for the summer one year. He gets such anxiety he said he'd have never passed if he was in the city. Is there a different location she can try?

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:43 am
2nd time in NYC. The first time I was so nervous that I went too fast. The second time I told myself to slow down and concentrate the whole time and bh I passed.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:44 am
gold21 wrote:
Oh... Does she have to take it there? I hate city driving. Try a different location.

amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
My DH took his test while upstate for the summer one year. He gets such anxiety he said he'd have never passed if he was in the city. Is there a different location she can try?

I think she'd be open to that, although she works FT and has to come late to work every time she takes a test (they don't have testing on Sundays) which is hard. But if it's really easier I think she'd consider it.... Where would you suggest?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:44 am
I passed first time in uk.
Although I turned left instead of right and I ignored some of his instructuons☺
Im not the most careful driver(the scratches all over the car are proof) in the sense that I bang into the curb when I park bec otherwise how will I know how far I am from the curb???
Passing is just mazel.
Hatzlocha!

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:50 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I passed first time in uk.
Although I turned left instead of right and I ignored some of his instructuons☺
Im not the most careful driver(the scratches all over the car are proof) in the sense that I bang into the curb when I park bec otherwise how will I know how far I am from the curb???
Passing is just mazel.
Hatzlocha!

Well done.
Passed 1st time in UK too, not such a common thing apparently and these days its much more difficult

tigerwife

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:00 am
I failed twice in Staten Island with the same nasty tester. Third time around, my driver changed the testing location for me. When we arrived and met the tester, he whispered to me, “Great! She’s a nice one!” And whadya know, I passed.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:07 am
First try, not in NY. But I failed my permit test once. And I delayed the driving test from my original date because I wasn't ready yet.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:09 am
I passed on the first try and so did all my kids so far who have their licenses (3 of them). Not in NY. I did take two of the kids to an MVA a bit farther away from home that has a higher pass rate. In my State, the pass/fail rates for each location are available online.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:15 am
I passed the first time in NYC but I honestly don't know how to drive. I moved to Israel and still havent gotten into the drivers seat 8 years later!

yiddishmom

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:19 am
I think Stony Point is considered the easiest. Or maybe it's Orangetown.

Truthfully, any place out of Brooklyn will be much easier.

Rappel

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:21 am
I passed on the first try in Israel. I had a really good instructor who knew how to set me up for safety. He doesn't put anyone to the test until he's sure they're ready to be responsible drivers, so I took a ridiculous amount of lessons until he thought I was ready to test - but I'm also very confident that me and my children will make it home safe thanks to him.

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:24 am
yiddishmom wrote:
I think Stony Point is considered the easiest. Or maybe it's Orangetown.

Truthfully, any place out of Brooklyn will be much easier.

I also think Stoney Point. I think that's where I took it. Is that in the monsey area?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:32 am
I passed on the 7th try, in NY (Long Island). I after the first 3, I stopped scheduling tests in the city (where it's harder to pass) but also I was super anxious at that point over the test. I knew I was driving just fine, but the test was messing with my head. But, I just kept going. I needed that license, it was very hard to manage my life without it because at that point I was living in the suburbs.

BTW, it's super common to fail on the first try. I know very few people (in or out of NY) who passed on the first try, so your daughter should try not to worry so much about it, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Now, if you're like me and end up needing 7 tries, yeah, it's pretty embarrassing. Literally nobody irl aside from my husband knows how many times I took the test before passing!

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:34 am
gold21 wrote:
I also think Stoney Point. I think that's where I took it. Is that in the monsey area?

No, maybe Orangeburg is the one that's easy. One or the other. Stoneypoint or Orangeburg. Not sure which.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics