Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why Americans happy in israel but Israelies miserable in USA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

What are you?
Israeli in the US and happy  
 5%  [ 7 ]
Israeli in the US and miserable  
 3%  [ 4 ]
American in the US and happy  
 64%  [ 77 ]
American in Israel and miserable  
 2%  [ 3 ]
American in Israel and happy  
 24%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 120

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:36 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Well, obviously, since I live in America... I meet people all the time who tried living in Israel and came back. You wouldn't meet them because you're in Israel. Think about this.

ETA: I don't mean family and friends (although that too!). I mean people I meet in the grocery store, the park....

I know few a family who lived in israel and came back to the US israel. But I it was only couple years as newlyweds so it’s not considered really. She said the life was hard. She told me she had to carry heavy grocery bags on the bus as an example.

Angel

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:38 pm
Americans get very insulted and dont want to hear if you dont like it there, they will never understand what we miss in Israel unless they lived there themselves. Otherwise dont even bother explaining!

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You are an American. They won’t insult you and tell you that they don’t like it. Anyway did you ask them directly. I don’t tell my American friends that I hate it here. It just never comes up and I don’t think it’s the right thing to say.

I said that the women I know have clearly said they are unhappy here. Yes they even volunteered that information. Many of them married someone and came to America thinking they'd be better off. Instead they're lonely, have no support system, and don't seem to assimilate to the general mentality here.

The men seem less troubled and as long as they're making money they're fine.

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:42 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
SUch as?

Umm a bunch

Ramat Beis Shemesh is one

And english speaking schools

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know few a family who lived in israel and came back to the US israel. But I it was only couple years as newlyweds so it’s not considered really. She said the life was hard. She told me she had to carry heavy grocery bags on the bus as an example.

Um, why??? Why is that not considered really????

They moved there as newlyweds, didn't like it, and moved back. Why is that not considered really?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:45 pm
gold21 wrote:
Umm a bunch

Ramat Beis Shemesh is one

And english speaking schools
I dont know of any english speaking schools except for high schools that have cropped up over the years that are specifically for olim students that will learn better in english or an international school.
Also, rbs is a very bad example. Yes, there are many anglos there, from many different countries, but it is not all ameican at all. There are SOOOO many israelis there. Its a completely mixed anglo/israeli community. I know many think otherwise, but this is the true facts Smile

What other communities? I have never heard of an american community. There are communities where there are many anglos, but an actual american community?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:46 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Um, why??? Why is that not considered really????

They moved there as newlyweds, didn't like it, and moved back. Why is that not considered really?
Because kollel couples who planned on living in Israel for a few years so the husband can learn are not planning on making their lives here.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:47 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Because kollel couples who planned on living in Israel for a few years so the husband can learn are not planning on making their lives here.

That's really not necessarily true. At all. And I never said they were kollel couples planning on learning in Israel for a few years.

ETA: It's davka the couples who are going to Israel to "honeymoon" that are happy there. And what's not to like? They don't have to actually LIVE there, IYKWIM. The ones that are going with an eye for long term are the ones miserable. At least that's my unscientific survey (which is just as valid as yours).

Last edited by Mommyg8 on Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:48 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I dont know of any english speaking schools except for high schools that have cropped up over the years that are specifically for olim students that will learn better in english or an international school.
Also, rbs is a very bad example. Yes, there are many anglos there, from many different countries, but it is not all ameican at all. There are SOOOO many israelis there. Its a completely mixed anglo/israeli community. I know many think otherwise, but this is the true facts Smile

What other communities? I have never heard of an american community. There are communities where there are many anglos, but an actual american community?

Some parts of it seem to be pretty American from what I gather

I know people living there

Seems like there are elementary schools geared towards american olim, yeah

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:50 pm
gold21 wrote:
Some parts of it seem to be pretty American from what I gather

I know people living there

Seems like there are elementary schools geared towards american olim, yeah
I lived in rbs at one stage. Trust me when I tell you that it is mixed. Yes, anglo people stick together, but it is completely mixed.

And even schools that will help olim kids, there are no actual schools that are in english.

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:51 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I lived in rbs at one stage. Trust me when I tell you that it is mixed. Yes, anglo people stick together, but it is completely mixed.

And even schools that will help olim kids, there are no actual schools that are in english.

I mean the students are, for the most part, english speaking, not that they teach in english

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:52 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
That's really not necessarily true. At all. And I never said they were kollel couples planning on learning in Israel for a few years.

ETA: It's davka the couples who are going to Israel to "honeymoon" that are happy there. And what's not to like? They don't have to actually LIVE there, IYKWIM. The ones that are going with an eye for long term are the ones miserable. At least that's my unscientific survey (which is just as valid as yours).
So then this may be true in your community. Maybe thats what it is.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:53 pm
gold21 wrote:
I mean the students are, for the most part, english speaking, not that they teach in english
As far as I know, no entire school is made up of olim Smile

But I was really curious to hear what other communities you meant were american?

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:55 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
As far as I know, no entire school is made up of olim Smile

But I was really curious to hear what other communities you meant were american?

Maybe not entirely, but enough for a new immigrant to feel comfortable at school

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:58 pm
gold21 wrote:
Maybe not entirely, but enough for a new immigrant to feel comfortable at school
All olim kids need are a few kids that speak their language in the school or a very good staff that will help them. I know that Ive seen that in the community I live in. My child was born here, but she has had a few olot over the years and they have strived because the teachers have helped them and the girls in the class have taken the olot under their wings and not left her out.
But I hear your point.

Again, what other communities were you thinking of? So curious Smile

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 6:00 pm
I believe that RBS is considered one of the "softest landing" for olim families according to Nefesh B'Nefesh, but there are american communities in other places.... maalot dafna is one, I think more transient. I don't recall names of communities. I have to ask.

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 6:01 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
All olim kids need are a few kids that speak their language in the school or a very good staff that will help them. I know that Ive seen that in the community I live in. My child was born here, but she has had a few olot over the years and they have strived because the teachers have helped them and the girls in the class have taken the olot under their wings and not left her out.
But I hear your point.

Again, what other communities were you thinking of? So curious Smile

No, mean there are "soft landing" type schools for american olim. I can try to get the names.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 6:01 pm
gold21 wrote:
I believe that RBS is considered one of the "softest landing" for olim families according to Nefesh B'Nefesh, but there are american communities in other places.... maalot dafna is one, I think more transient. I don't know names of communities. I have to ask.
Ah, so you meant for the charedi community Smile I think maalot dafna is a great anglo community for young couples or families. Its an extremely transient Smile But lovely (its an old part of jerusalem)

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 6:02 pm
I have no idea how true this really is, but if it is, I would guess that it has to do with the reasons for the move. Typically, Americans move to Israel for idealistic reasons. Ergo, they're more willing to have positive feelings about it and a more optimistic outlook when challenges come up. They didn't go for an easier life, they went out of a belief in a bigger ideal. Typically, Israelis leave for more practical reasons such as economic opportunities. So if it doesn't work out the way they were hoping, the grass doesn't turn out to be greener, etc, it's a lot easier to get down about it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 6:02 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

She didn’t say that she didn’t like it. She said the life is hard and couldn’t make it. I liked it in the US as a newlywed married to American and having a great career but as the years pile up and you grow up and look for more substance it downed on me that I really miss israel after all the materialistic and the easy life didn’t cover up what’s missing.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics