Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Landlord Wants to Raise Rent Now
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:46 pm
Is it normal for a landlord to raise the rent during these crazy covid times? With the one above's assistance we have been paying on time I tried asking the landlord not to raise the rent but our request was denied. Anyone else have this issue recently and does it make sense for the landlord to be asking for more money now? Especially since we do pay on time and we don't ask landlord for anything. The landlord doesn't live on the premises but other elderly family members do live on the property. We helped out the elderly family members during Corona especially during Pesach time. I don't do a mitzvah to receive a reward but I thought that since we are in the middle of crazy times that the actual landlord would be more understanding. Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thank you!

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:49 pm
Maybe the landlord is also having a hard time now? Taxes, insurance, mortgage, no relief for landlords....

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:51 pm
Landlords are allowed to raise the rent by a certain percentage, unless the apartment you are living in is rent stabilized

PS- my landlord raised the rent on us, and the apartment wasn’t even worth the amount we were paying prior. So we moved out. Good riddance

amother
White

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:52 pm
What city are you in? How many units in your building? How long have you lived there, is this coinciding with your lease renewal?

amother
White

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:54 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Landlords are allowed to raise the rent by a certain percentage, unless the apartment you are living in is rent stabilized

PS- my landlord raised the rent on us, and the apartment wasn’t even worth the amount we were paying prior. So we moved out. Good riddance

Rent in rent stabilized apartments can be raised, but only by a percentage determined by your city ordinances

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:59 pm
Why shouldn't they be able to? They also need to survive.... I have an apt and raise rent yearly usually a bit, I wouldn't hesitate to do it this year as well....speak to the landlord if you have an issue..

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:01 pm
Landlord here: I'm really thinking of raising my tenant's rent. They moved in 3 yrs ago supposedly for one year but the year streched out. The rent is currently the same as 3 yrs ago when they moved in. We have a very nice relationship. They are lovely ppl although I know the house is not very well cared for and I'll have to do a big job when they move out.
My husband has very little work now, self employed but no unemployment because he has one job once in a while that makes him not eligible.
Maybe your landlord is also unemployed?
It's nice not to raise it but legally he's entitled to a 6% raise (I think!)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:09 pm
OP here; live in Brooklyn, our lease is up, we have lived here for over 4 years and we like the apartment. If the roles were reversed and I was the landlord I would not raise rent in this crazy world we live in especially if the renters pay on time. I would be grateful for what we have and be understanding as its' during these times that we have to help each other and rely on each other. I know that landlords don't have relief but neither do renters.

QueensMama

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here; live in Brooklyn, our lease is up, we have lived here for over 4 years and we like the apartment. If the roles were reversed and I was the landlord I would not raise rent in this crazy world we live in especially if the renters pay on time. I would be grateful for what we have and be understanding as its' during these times that we have to help each other and rely on each other. I know that landlords don't have relief but neither do renters.

Did you lose income because of Covid?

amother
White

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

And you've never had a cost of living increase? I know it's hard to believe, but being a landlord is parnossa.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:58 pm
How hard is it for your Landlord to find a new tenet? I know that in Lakewood you can not find an apartment right now and Landlords are raising rents. If there is a glut of apartments in your town you can probably work out a deal with your landlord, then if there are 10+ people who would pay his new asking price.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:25 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
How hard is it for your Landlord to find a new tenet? I know that in Lakewood you can not find an apartment right now and Landlords are raising rents. If there is a glut of apartments in your town you can probably work out a deal with your landlord, then if there are 10+ people who would pay his new asking price.

Really?! I own a unit in Coventry in Lakewood and haven’t raised rent since they moved in 2 years ago! Maybe it’s time. They’re paying way below market but don’t bother me. Ever!! So not sure it’s worth it

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:28 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Really?! I own a unit in Coventry in Lakewood and haven’t raised rent since they moved in 2 years ago! Maybe it’s time. They’re paying way below market but don’t bother me. Ever!! So not sure it’s worth it

As a landlord in lkwd, unless you need the money it isnt worth it. I've had annoying tenants call me every time a doorhandle fell off and the opposite.

An easy tenant is worth a lot of $$$

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:14 pm
Why does the rent need to be raised every year or 2?
Raise the rent when the tenant moves.
Most families outgrow small apartments pretty quickly anyway.
It is not worth the bad feelings and risk of getting a hard tenant anyway.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:57 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Why does the rent need to be raised every year or 2?
Raise the rent when the tenant moves.
Most families outgrow small apartments pretty quickly anyway.
It is not worth the bad feelings and risk of getting a hard tenant anyway.

Because the costs go up. Taxes go up; utilities go up; wages for workers who repair and maintain the property increase; materials becomes more expensive for normal repairs.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 12:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Excuse me what an attitude!!
Do you also expect your grocery and pharmacy to give you discounts this year?
Do you expect clothing stores and Simcha halls to discount you?

People have such a wrong outlook on landlords. They think all landlords are rich, or at least ok.

Let me tell you, I’m a landlord, and our tenants’ rents is our livelihood!
We count on the money every month!

So yes, you bet I will raise you when the time comes.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 12:45 am
four years is a lot. most people are raised yearly so I think its about time. It would not be hard for the landlord to find another tenant in Brooklyn. Are you really struggling to pay? or do you buy expensive clothes ect that makes the landlord think you can afford it?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:35 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Excuse me what an attitude!!
People have such a wrong outlook on landlords. They think all landlords are rich, or at least ok.

Let me tell you, I’m a landlord, and our tenants’ rents is our livelihood!
We count on the money every month!

So yes, you bet I will raise you when the time comes.

Being a landlord is what us known as "passive income". Most people in this world do not live on passive income, they have active jobs which require regular, daily work for their income and livelihood. Not to say a landlord does nothing but it doesn't compare to a real ACTIVE job. So. If for whatever reason a landlord isn't making enough money from their investments they can seek other means of revenue and that is a HUGE difference between the troubles of someone trying to keep a roof over their families head who is already working an ACTIVE full time job.

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:54 am
I lived for eight years in Brooklyn. They never raised my rent.

Tzippy323

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:56 am
No one asked this so I will. Did you have a lease? Without one, the landlord can raise the rent whenever and however much is requested. With one, the rent can only be raised at th3 conclusion of the current lease. Never rent without a lease, and at a minim7m, 2 years.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics