Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Low carb kosher community

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 9:26 am
HI! Does anyone know of a low carb kosher community group?
Id love to start a low carb diet and im looking to share recipes with others...

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 9:24 pm
Does it have to be kosher? I haven’t been thrilled with the kosher groups because it seems like they all obsess about dessert and fake food. I like NSNG on Facebook though. A lit of the recipes can be tweaked. We bought eat happy and eat happy too by anna vocino. Once school is done this year I might start something.

whewpy

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 11:16 pm
can we start something like that here?

whewpy

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 11:19 pm
Andrea, does nsng involve using nuts a lot?

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:46 am
Meisels diet group has a support group with shared recipes

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
HI! Does anyone know of a low carb kosher community group?
Id love to start a low carb diet and im looking to share recipes with others...

There's a Keto whatsapp group for frum women.
There's a guy on IG called ketokosher- he has great recipes.

fiji

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 4:07 am
I'm part of a Facebook group, kosher keto women

fiji

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 4:09 am
would love to start a group here as well. I follow lots of social media accounts, but don't know any other person in my real life who is keto/ low carb.

Rappel

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 4:14 am
I would love this as a support group. We have so much ceremony in our lives, and so much love expressed through classic, carby foods, that it's a heavy lifestyle change for a religious woman to go keto. How do you make things for your kids and resist temptation? How to you guest at someone else without advertising your diet? Etc. Etc

fiji

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:06 am
Rappel wrote:
I would love this as a support group. We have so much ceremony in our lives, and so much love expressed through classic, carby foods, that it's a heavy lifestyle change for a religious woman to go keto. How do you make things for your kids and resist temptation? How to you guest at someone else without advertising your diet? Etc. Etc

on keto its not difficult to cook regular for your family and resist temptation because you lose the craving for carbs. but I can imagine it is much more difficult while doing low carb.

being a guest is difficult, so I only go if I feel like its worth explaining the diet in very simple terms. I explain I eat cooked low carb veggies and any protein without sugar and ill bring my own challah. I also find its helpful to eat before you go and then you wont actually be hungry, and can then eat whatever they have thats appropriate.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:53 am
When on any specific diet (vegan, HCG, keto) it's always good to only go to people who know you well and will not be offended if you don't eat their food. Don't try this with new hosts, unless they share your diet!

I find it helpful to emphasize that I visit because I value THEM and their company, not just to have a full stomach.

Transfer your food from the tupperware to your host's plates in the kitchen, and then bring it to the table when everyone else is being served. It looks a lot less awkward.

The only real problem is that my hosts' kids gather around my plate and say "Mommy, her food looks so good! Why can't we have that!" This was said about a spinach and cold steak salad with strawberries and balsamic vinegar dressing. Imagine kids being upset because they wanted raw spinach instead of potato kugel!

I just told the kids that I had to eat different, because it made my tummy feel better. Once the novelty wore off, they went back to eat their own food nicely.

Rappel

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 7:44 am
I hear you guys Smile I am on the keto diet, but while I feel better physically, the emotional side really gets me. The beginning of every Shabbat seudah makes me sad. I even made good keto latkes this year, and they kind of made me nostalgic. I broke my diet yesterday when DS begged for us to make donuts, and I felt like it was such a dry experience if I kept my nose raised and didn't join in.

And I hate needing special circumstances of any kind. I don't want to explain to everyone why I'm not washing on Shabbat, so when we eat at friends, I do, and I eat the smallest bite possible.

For me, at least, the diet challenges are all emotional. I need a mentor/support group to keep me on track, like in OA.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 8:20 am
Rappel wrote:
when we eat at friends, I do, and I eat the smallest bite possible.

For me, at least, the diet challenges are all emotional. I need a mentor/support group to keep me on track, like in OA.

One kazayis of challah per week is not going to ruin your diet.

I totally understand the emotional attachment to food. As a BT, it's even harder! All my childhood favorites seem to be treyf, and I like to come up with kosher versions. Now with keto, that gets even harder. (B'H for kosher beef "bacon"!)

While doing keto, I've found that learning "intuitive eating" along side really helps a lot. https://www.pdfdrive.com/intui......html

Sometimes I eat certain things, and it turns out that I was slightly depressed. What my body really wanted was a hug and some caring words - but potato chips and onion dip were there instead. Then I got a horrible stomach ache and felt even worse. Sad

The biggest mistake I made with keto, was I shocked my system. I went gung ho overnight. I should have started slowly counting down my carb intake, so my body could adjust. I had to completely start over, because the cravings were driving me insane and it would always backfire (see potato chips above).

I'm here if you need me! Hug

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 2:31 am
[quote="whewpy"]Andrea, does nsng involve using nuts a lot?[/

No one tells anyone what or how much to eat. Eat real food, don’t eat sugar, sweetener , grain or starch. Eat when hungry, to satiety. That’s nutshell nsng.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 2:36 am
I’m pretty busy with school and work but have helped or informed lots of people. After may I plan on getting the books done. Hopefully groups will grow out of that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise