Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Puberty in 4th grade?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 12:42 pm
Is it common for many 4th grade girls (9-10 year olds) to go through puberty?
My daughter is currently in 3rd grade, almost turning 9. I'm so nervous about her being early. So far, I haven't noticed anything, but am worried. Is it common, or not too common?

yksraya

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 1:04 pm
I've heard drs say that because of hormones in foods, it's very common that girls get it earlier than it used to be. But who knows. Plenty of girls still get it at the age of 12 or even older.

I told dd about it when she was 10. She actually got it in 9th grade.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 1:04 pm
If it was common, it wouldn't be considered early. It would be the average time to hit puberty...

Stop worrying. Wink

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 1:10 pm
It can happen but It's unusual. I know someone who got her period at 9. Over 30 years ago.

Otoh, my daughter started developing at 9, but it's been 2 years and she still hasn't gotten her period.

Make sure she knows about how her body will develop and don't worry about it.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 1:20 pm
Do you have reason to worry?
If not, don't look for problems where there are none.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it common for many 4th grade girls (9-10 year olds) to go through puberty?
My daughter is currently in 3rd grade, almost turning 9. I'm so nervous about her being early. So far, I haven't noticed anything, but am worried. Is it common, or not too common?

Does she have breast buds? What is making you ask this question?

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:44 pm
That's earlier than average but not unheard of. Estrogen-like compounds in the environment are believed to be one reason why on average girls are hitting puberty earlier than previous generations. (So is better nutrition.)They are also believed to be a major reason why male fertility has taken a nosedive compared to previous generations.

Puberty isn't considered precocious unless it's in girls younger than 9.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:49 pm
yksraya wrote:
I've heard drs say that because of hormones in foods, it's very common that girls get it earlier than it used to be. But who knows. Plenty of girls still get it at the age of 12 or even older.

I told dd about it when she was 10. She actually got it in 9th grade.

Which foods have hormones that may cause early puberty? This is one thing I'm so nervous about. I help out a family and their 4th grader in in bra's already, almost fully developed. She's overweight so probably that's why, but I'm so nervous that my daughter's shouldn't start developing early.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:52 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Which foods have hormones that may cause early puberty? This is one thing I'm so nervous about. I help out a family and their 4th grader in in bra's already, almost fully developed. She's overweight so probably that's why, but I'm so nervous that my daughter's shouldn't start developing early.

I did my best to buy hormone free eggs, milk, cheese, chicken, meat and still my daughter started developing early (around when she turned 10 - even a bit before). She hasn’t yet gotten her period but I am nervous because she is very short. She is 11.

yksraya

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:54 pm
chickens get needled, so that there are more chicken and more eggs. I think cows too, so milk has hormones. Not exactly sure though.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:56 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I did my best to buy hormone free eggs, milk, cheese, chicken, eggs and still my daughter started developing early (around when she turned 10 - even a bit before). She hasn’t yet gotten her period but I am nervous because she is very short. She is 11.

Wow. So any Chicken, eggs, and milk from the grocery have hormones? Where can you find without hormones?

yksraya

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:56 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I did my best to buy hormone free eggs, milk, cheese, chicken, eggs and still my daughter started developing early (around when she turned 10 - even a bit before). She hasn’t yet gotten her period but I am nervous because she is very short. She is 11.
that's not early. They say some kids get it at 6-9 nowadays.

yksraya

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:02 pm
Wow. So any Chicken, eggs, and milk from the grocery have hormones? Where can you find without hormones?
organic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children