Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Excessive blinking in kids
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:51 pm
2 of my kids ages 6 and 10 are blinking excessively. I thought just a stage and would pass but their still doing it. Talking to them about it and making them aware doesn't help just gets worse, not saying anything isn't helping either. Anyone have experience with this ? What did you do to help it?

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:52 pm
Might be a symptom of Lyme disease.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:55 pm
I’ve had nervous tics since I was a child. It never really went away. It’s officially Tourette’s although you’d never think of me as having Tourette’s in the way people think of it. I’ve noticed transient tics in my children but BH none seemed to last so far. Keep an eye on it and see if it passes. Try not to say anything. If you rule out any medical cause, you can try habit reversal therapy. It helped me a lot.

simcha2

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:58 pm
Could be a habit, a tic, dry eyes or even a seizure.

If you are concerned you should definitely speak with your pediatrician.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:59 pm
Pandas or Tourette’s.

Success10

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:00 pm
Sounds like a tic (not to be confused with "tick" that causes Lyme, I am not referring to that). It's actually common in children, and they come and go and are not something to get too worried about. Might be related to ADHD. You can go to your pediatrician, he/she will probably recommend an eye exam to rule out any physical causes.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:02 pm
They were both diagnosed with pandas, been treating it for a couple of months now other symptoms are way better but the blinking hasn't gone away.. Anyone who has experience with pandas do the tics go away eventually? I'm worried they'll have this for life......

Stars

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:02 pm
Check for strep

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 5:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They were both diagnosed with pandas, been treating it for a couple of months now other symptoms are way better but the blinking hasn't gone away.. Anyone who has experience with pandas do the tics go away eventually? I'm worried they'll have this for life......
very common with pandas for symptoms to come and go. How are you treating so far?

nanny24/7

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 6:04 pm
OP it could be absence epilepsy/ petite mal seizures. Showing a doctor or neurologist videos of the blinking can determine if more testing for that is needed or not.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 6:04 pm
I myself had this, to the point that I worried I was developing a tic or anxiety disorder. I went to the eye doctor and the problem was very simple: my eyes were extremely dry! Assuming it's winter where you are the air is probably drier and causing this problem.

Try using a humidifier in your living area and also in their bedrooms for a few weeks and see if it improves. If not, then I'd start working with an eye doctor to see if there are deeper problems.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 6:24 pm
Doc said comes from the pandas, they also have microplasmic pneumonia which is a tic born illness and can lead to blinking and other things too they don't just do blinking comes along with other ticks that they have like forced coughing sniffling the nose.....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 6:26 pm
Just curious if anyone else is sees these symptoms in their kids who have pandas ?? Please specify what symptoms your kid has.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 6:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just curious if anyone else is sees these symptoms in their kids who have pandas ?? Please specify what symptoms your kid has.

My sibling worked in the vision dept at a medical office and this was a common symptom that they saw in Pandas patients. Once, an entire family came in with the same blinking issue. They all had their tonsils removed and it went away.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 6:36 pm
You can try treating with extra magnesium. For children 500mg a day should be enough.

It helps with muscle relaxation and soothes irritated or over-reactive nerve endings. It also has a calming effect on the brain.

When my immune system is stressed and I haven't been taking care of myself I develop a really annoying tic in the corner of my right eye (oddly specific). Magnesium helps immensely until I get myself regulated again.

The best thing is, even if magnesium doesn't help, it can't hurt them. Since they are also battling with immune issues, a calcium/magnesium/zinc combination pill is probably your best bet.

I found some gummies, if your kids have trouble swallowing pills.
https://www.koshervitamins.com.....mmies
https://www.koshervitamins.com.....mmies

This product comes in caplets, which are smaller than the usual adult size pills.
https://www.koshervitamins.com.....plets

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 6:39 pm
Ps: my husband starts blinking when he gets nervous, can it be genetic?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 7:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes the coughing, sniffling and eye blinking are all extremely common tics caused by pandas/pans. If your kids have mycoplasma they probably also have Lyme disease. How are you treating these infections? It’s possible to target just the tics (magnesium, b vitamins, NAC, glutathione, Gaba, l theanine) but at the end of the day, if you don’t treat the infections and clean up their guts the symptoms will keep coming back.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 8:04 pm
I'm doing magnesium, omega 3, colodial silver for the infection, restore for the gut, vitamin d, inositol and probiotics, I definitely see a difference but not completely gone. Has anyone had experience that their child was healed from pandas with vitamins and not antibiotics?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 8:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ps: my husband starts blinking when he gets nervous, can it be genetic?

There is definitely a genetic factor to tics. My DH has multiple people in his extended family (including himself) with tics.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 8:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm doing magnesium, omega 3, colodial silver for the infection, restore for the gut, vitamin d, inositol and probiotics, I definitely see a difference but not completely gone. Has anyone had experience that their child was healed from pandas with vitamins and not antibiotics?
It’s definitely possible but you would need more targeted treatment for the infections. Raintree myco formula is supposed to be great for chronic mycoplasma. What other infections are you dealing with? Also, some of the things you’re using may paradoxically making things worse. I would stop the probiotics, omega 3 and vitamin d and see if things improve.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics