Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Source for babies smiling in their sleep?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

hodeez

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:20 pm
I was taught in seminary that Adam's first wife plays with children when they sleep and that's why they smile, and they should be woken up. Anyone have a source?

Ima Piano

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:33 pm
Huh

Classicookie

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:36 pm
Scratching Head What What

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:36 pm
I read that babies laugh when they urinate. It’s a reflex. Sorry if it’s supposed to be something holier than that. 😈

MiriFr

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:37 pm
Weren’t Adam’s kids born as adults? (Which Adam are we talking about?)

Last edited by MiriFr on Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:37 pm
Also who was Adam’s second wife? Excuse my ignorance.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:45 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Also who was Adam’s second wife? Excuse my ignorance.

Chava

His first wife was Lilith.

Classicookie

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:47 pm
Imo don't wake your baby Bec they are smiling I bet that will turn into a screaming baby real quick

bigsis144

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:48 pm
I’m guessing OP is referring to some sort of superstition regarding Lilith, who is the Queen of Sheidim (demons).

She was Adam’s first mate, created at the same time as him, but insisted that she was his equal and refused to be subservient to him. For this, she was cast out of Gan Eden. (And she is considered a feminist icon and there’s a magazine named after her and all.)

She is considered a particular danger to infants.

I never heard this one before; I feel bad for mother’s who wake their sleeping babies out of fear of a demon.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:49 pm
Smiling in their sleep indicates a gassy baby.

ssspectacular

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:52 pm
We used to say, di malachim shpilen mit em. (The angels ae playing with him) No source.

bestrong1

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:55 pm
Op your right! I just heard this in a shiur! Its not good when baby's smile in their sleep... the Satan is playing with him/ her. The Rabbi was
Saying that it's important to shake your baby a little so the Satan will leave.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:57 pm
bestrong1 wrote:
Op your right! I just heard this in a shiur! Its not good when baby's smile in their sleep... the Satan is playing with him/ her. The Rabbi was
Saying that it's important to shake your baby a little so the Satan will leave.

Did he mention a source?

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:57 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Chava

His first wife was Lilith.

How come I never heard of this? Is it just one of those things they don't teach in school?

tigerwife

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:59 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
How come I never heard of this? Is it just one of those things they don't teach in school?

It is medrash, not pshat. I didn’t learn it in school either. Parshas Bereishes has a ton of medrashim to learn.

MiriFr

amother [ Peach ] wrote:

Ya it’s kabbalistic.
Basically, Lilith was a night demon and raped Adam in his sleep. Got pregnant with Kayin, and then left him for Samael, another demon.
Chava is created and marries Adam. They have Hevel together.

amother
Gold

Maybe the demons are causing the gas! Haven't you smelled some and thought: woaw that was something evil!

Rappel

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 5:03 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Smiling in their sleep indicates a gassy baby.

This. I have trouble believing this superstition. Until someome comes up with a source, I'll just keep getting the wipes whenever I see a newborn smile.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 5:07 pm
All I can say is I’m glad I didn’t know about this when I was a new mom with postpartum mental health issues. I would have been much more neurotic than I already was and my family would have paid the price. Especially the sleeping baby who ought to stay sleeping. What age do babies supposedly get to smile in their sleep peacefully?

Also doesn’t your neshama ascend to shamayim when you sleep? Maybe they are smiling at Hashem. Or at least Hashem will protect them from the sheidim.

Yikes to the whole thing. Postpartum anxiety would have been through the roof if I knew about this.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 5:17 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
All I can say is I’m glad I didn’t know about this when I was a new mom with postpartum mental health issues. I would have been much more neurotic than I already was and my family would have paid the price. Especially the sleeping baby who ought to stay sleeping. What age do babies supposedly get to smile in their sleep peacefully?

Also doesn’t your neshama ascend to shamayim when you sleep? Maybe they are smiling at Hashem. Or at least Hashem will protect them from the sheidim.

Yikes to the whole thing. Postpartum anxiety would have been through the roof if I knew about this.

Gurl same. Big same
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions