Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
I'm tired of politics, let's talk about our pets!
1  2  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:38 am
My front door is open. My blind cat is in the windowsill, pawing at the glass and meowing to be let in through the window. The window is right next to the front door!

She can come in any time she wants, but if I take her down from the windowsill and try to show her to the front door, she gets confused and runs off.

Then eventually she gets back up in the windowsill. I don't want to leave the window open, because then she'll get used to coming and going that way and I can't keep it open all winter.

What are your pets up to?

Stars

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:43 am
I want pics!!

mommy3b2c

I don’t have any pets. I’m thinking of getting a kitten. Tell me about kittens.
Really I prefer dogs but they are to much work.

BH Yom Yom

Aww she sounds so cute!

And I agree with the topic heading - let’s talk about our pets instead of politics! Smile

My kitty likes to talk (read: meow loudly) when I’m on the phone with someone, or watching something. This is especially entertaining during Zoom meetings.

CatLady

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:45 am
Thank you for asking! They've just enjoyed kitty treats, which is the highlight of the morning aside from chin skritches. Max, my tabby cat, has taken over the new leather chair I treated myself to. Sometimes he lets me sit on it, but then he occupies the ottoman and I don't get the full experience. Marvin is stretched out on the bed. If I had what my late mother used to refer to as "money to burn", I'd do one of those cat ancestry tests on him to see why he's so gargantuan. I think he's a Maine Coon. I adopted him at the tender age of 9 years old, so I never saw him as a kitten, and I can't even imagine it.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:47 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

Check your local FB or Whatsapp groups. Where I am, every Spring and Fall the boards are jammed with people looking to place litters of kittens. There are tons of them available right now.

I recommend you get a sibling for your kitten. They can play with each other, and keep each other company when you are busy or not at home.

CrazyDaisie

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:47 am
I would like a horse...

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:50 am
I have a kitten, about three or four months old. She's a streeet cat, but came in the window looking for food and decided she likes it. My two cats are taking it in turns to terrorize her and steal her food. I'm not sure how long she's going to stay, but at the moment she seems happy with hiding behind the freezer and coming out to eat, while I stand on guard to protect her from the other two. She's quite happy to growl back at them when she feels safe, but she's about a quater of their size, and she's scared of me which doesn't help. I'm waiting for her to dare come and snuggle with me.

Cats are naturally house trained. I put a litter box near the freezer, and she uses it regularly. My cats look at her scornfully and say that big cats go outside.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:51 am
Our fish is dead, as is his follow up. Apparently he was hardly enough to withstand a dirty tank but not to be put back into a clean one. The original died just before covid, having majorly outlasted expectations of imminent death by a year, having been gifted to us as a prize. In our family, we call such fish "disposable goldfish", and yet he lived. Until he didn't.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:55 am
We are cleaning the filter for the fish, we need a few more.
The tortoise is quiet these days, when she moves around she'll only eat 1/4 of a cucumber instead of the two she eats in the summer.
My sine found the missing dwarf hamster in the kitchen while he was eating dinner, 10min ago. She is now safely in her game and should hopefully stay there. These were bought because a dog won’t fit into my life right now and DS needs one. So DH kept buying them since they are so cute. Now we have 5 (all girls). Only two of them bite.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:58 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

Speaking of kittens, has anyone here fostered kittens? Is there a halachic issue with kitten formula possibly being from milk and meat sources? (Amother because I've talked about this IRL recently.)

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:02 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Speaking of kittens, has anyone here fostered kittens? Is there a halachic issue with kitten formula possibly being from milk and meat sources? (Amother because I've talked about this IRL recently.)

Yes - there can be basar b’chalav issues with kitten food. Feel free to PM me Smile

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:04 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

I've fostered plenty of kittens. There may be a problem with milk/meat kitten formula, due to the איסור הנאה. On the other hand, most people seem to hold that this is only a problem with kosher meat, and since the kitten formula is treif, that would apply.

On the other hand, it is treif, which means washing the bottles is an issue.

I sidestep the whole debate by bringing them up on goats milk. They can't digest cows milk, but thrive on goats milk. I have a friend who uses double stregnth infant formula, and she says they do well on that.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:09 pm
Stars wrote:
I want pics!!

https://scontent.ftlv2-1.fna.f.....B1897

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:10 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I've fostered plenty of kittens. There may be a problem with milk/meat kitten formula, due to the איסור הנאה. On the other hand, most people seem to hold that this is only a problem with kosher meat, and since the kitten formula is treif, that would apply.

On the other hand, it is treif, which means washing the bottles is an issue.

I sidestep the whole debate by bringing them up on goats milk. They can't digest cows milk, but thrive on goats milk. I have a friend who uses double stregnth infant formula, and she says they do well on that.

Correct: If the meat used in the kitten food is from cows or sheep, there is a problem of basar b’chalav, since cows/sheep are kosher animals and the food is heated (ie cooked) as part of the processing.

https://www.star-k.org/article.....tree/

Also be aware of milk derivatives, such as casein, whey, compounds that have caseinate (such as sodium caseinate, etc.) and for kittens specifically, colostrum - which for kitten food is cows’ milk.

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:12 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
https://scontent.ftlv2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/p843x403/129158056_10159078814597454_4451993056447187960_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=44-9exT9-lgAX8hfnQJ&_nc_ht=scontent.ftlv2-1.fna&tp=6&oh=82cdcf11c2fe916d8ebad0bea6770e9b&oe=5FEB1897

FF, she’s beautiful! What’s her name?

Rappel

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:22 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

I recommend you get a sibling for your kitten. They can play with each other, and keep each other company when you are busy or not at home.

Absolutely. Cat siblings are the best!

My cat has recently taken a liking to hanging out with my while I shower. It's strange, but kind of cool!

What do I do for my dog? She has very good street sense, loves all the world, but she dislikes anyone who acts in a suspicious/unfriendly/aggressive manner. There's a couple in the neighborhood whom are socially awkward and brusque (they don't mean to be mean, is just the way they are), and their bizarre body language makes her freak out at them every time. They hate her, and I wish she would leave them alone, since we collaborate a fair bit. Any tips?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:26 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
FF, she’s beautiful! What’s her name?

Her name is Yuni, because I got her in June. She's a rescued feral cat.

I also have a black rescue cat named Lucky, because when he was brought to me he was near death. It was touch and go for about two weeks before I was sure he'd pull through. I didn't name him until I was sure he would live. He is a really good hunter! Mice and spiders don't stand a chance against him.

I have a little rescue dog named Nessiyah. She's the sweetest thing ever. I am her person, and she is always glued to some part of my body. Right now, she's pressed up against my leg, sound asleep. She's just my speed, too. She's a sight hound, and her idea of fun is 3 minutes of intense play, followed by a 4 hour nap.

https://scontent.ftlv2-1.fna.f.....DF71F
https://scontent.ftlv2-1.fna.f.....AAC72

ChassidishMommy

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:27 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
https://scontent.ftlv2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/p843x403/129158056_10159078814597454_4451993056447187960_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=44-9exT9-lgAX8hfnQJ&_nc_ht=scontent.ftlv2-1.fna&tp=6&oh=82cdcf11c2fe916d8ebad0bea6770e9b&oe=5FEB1897

My pet is a 17 month old rambunctious toddler who still nurses while Mommy is on the computer. Boy, did he get excited when I opened your link to the "Wowo"!

Siriusly?

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:35 pm
I have a cute little dwarf rabbit who doesn’t sit still for a second and loves ripping apart cardboard boxes!🐰
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets