Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How do you get your one year old to sleep
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:33 pm
I am having trouble getting my one year old to go to sleep and stay asleep recently. She used to sleep through the night

I want to hear some imamother wisdom on bedtime routines and what to do when they wake up in the middle of the night and are not going back to sleep easily.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:40 pm
Is she teething?

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 1:16 pm
The keys are an age appropriate schedule as well as independent sleep.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 1:18 pm
She could be teething, having a growth spurt, fighting off a mild flu, an ear ache, or anything. Sleep patterns change a lot in the first 2 years. As soon as you think you have a schedule down, your child will decide that they are going to be on a completely different schedule!

Just be patient, and make sure nothing is bothering her.

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 1:56 pm
I agree with the above posters.

I am a first time mom, so not much experience. But I can tell you what I do.

If he starts crying at night, I'll try putting him down and patting him, offering him water (perhaps he is thirsty, especially after crying....), words of reassurance. After a minute or two I leave the room.

If he continues crying I'll go back in after a few minutes and repeat. Main thing is, I don't want him to start relying on me to fall asleep.

If I need to go in a third or fourth time, then I assume that something is bothering him. I'll try nursing him for a few minutes, put him back in his crib and leave.

If he still cries then I give him some tylenol.

After 2 or 3 nights of this, I just resign myself to the fact that he is changing his schedule yet again. I allow it to continue for a week or two, and then start sleep training again. Which only takes a night or two.

Why I let it go for a week or two before training again?
1. I don't know if perhaps he is teething....
2. I hate hearing him crying. So until I don't reach the point where I'm extremely tired I'd rather wake up and nurse. The whole thing takes 5 minutes.

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 2:07 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
The keys are an age appropriate schedule as well as independent sleep.

This^

Night wakings at this age are almost always sleep associations or a wonky schedule.
What's your schedule? Does he go to sleep independently at night?

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 2:10 pm
I used to give him a warm bottle of milk before we would hold him and pat his back to sleep.

But usually after I take the bottle (or he throws it out the crib) he falls asleep by himself with music.
Lately tho, he has been waking up whimpering and crying.

I guess he started having dreams bc he never did that before. Nothing is bothering him and doc said no ear infection.

Last edited by PeanutMama on Tue, Dec 01 2020, 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 2:10 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
This^

Night wakings at this age are almost always sleep associations or a wonky schedule.
What's your schedule? Does he go to sleep independently at night?

can you elaborate? what does it mean to go to sleep independently?

lately our schedule has been a mess because of a few factors. I want to get back on schedule with a good routine.

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 2:13 pm
Independently means no sleep associations like nursing till drowsy, and they fall asleep fully on their own. This prevents them needing help to go back to sleep in the middle of the night. If you want to post your schedule I can help you adjust it.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 2:15 pm
What do you do currently to get him to sleep?

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 2:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
can you elaborate? what does it mean to go to sleep independently?

lately our schedule has been a mess because of a few factors. I want to get back on schedule with a good routine.

Does he fall asleep on his own without you there? That means no rocking, no nursing, no patting...just into the crib and say good night and walk out?

How many months old? I can recommend a schedule if give me a basic idea

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 11:42 am
stillnewlywed wrote:
Does he fall asleep on his own without you there? That means no rocking, no nursing, no patting...just into the crib and say good night and walk out?

How many months old? I can recommend a schedule if give me a basic idea

Nope he doesnt
15 monthes. Yes please thanks so much

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Nope he doesnt
15 monthes. Yes please thanks so much

How do you get him to sleep in the beginning of the night?
And what's your general goal for bedtime/wake time so I can propose a schedule? Does he have a specific nap time at daycare?

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:03 pm
Sorry I see I'm referring to your baby as "he" the whole time when you said it's a girl Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 8:57 am
stillnewlywed wrote:
How do you get him to sleep in the beginning of the night?
And what's your general goal for bedtime/wake time so I can propose a schedule? Does he have a specific nap time at daycare?

Lately his schedule is completey messed up due fo a number of factors. He falls asleep on the bottle then I put him down.

I want him to sleepa 11-12 hours at night

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:01 am
Ok so you need to do 2 things if you want her to sleep through the night

1. Get her on an age appropriate schedule
Example:
Wake 630
Nap 1130-130
Bedtime 730
Aim for approximately 11 hour night, 5 hours before nap and 6 hours after nap. Some kids will sleep longer but this is a good goal.
Stick to the bedtime no matter what regardless of how the day (nap) went

2. Independent sleep!
Your baby does not know how to fall asleep on her own, only with a bottle. She is waking up during the night and needs a bottle to fall back asleep.
You will need to set up a good bedtime routine so she knows it’s bedtime and then put her in the crib awake and leave the room so she can learn to fall asleep alone.
At 15 months kids don’t need bottles at all, and it really shouldn’t be the way they go to sleep.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:06 am
Two naps is better at this age. My baby (same age) wakes up at 7, naps at 10 for an hour (I’ll wake him if need be) then back to sleep from 230-4. Then bedtime is 7. They have a better nighttime sleep if they sleep well during the day.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 11:46 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Two naps is better at this age. My baby (same age) wakes up at 7, naps at 10 for an hour (I’ll wake him if need be) then back to sleep from 230-4. Then bedtime is 7. They have a better nighttime sleep if they sleep well during the day.

There's no better. Some kids still need 2 naps at this age but most kids are transitioning to 1 nap. If she's trying a new schedule it's not worth it for her to invest in something that will probably need a full revamp within a month or two. A 1 nap schedule at this age is the best bet.
Overall the amount of sleep is the same when kids go from 2 naps of 1 - 1.5 hours to to 1 nap of 2-2.5 hours.

tichellady

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 2:01 pm
Get a good book on baby sleep and read it. That’s the most helpful. I like “ the happy sleeper”

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 2:10 pm
Precious little sleep has some good schedules in it - but the ones suggested here are already excellent
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics