Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What are some names you would NEVER use?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 11:25 am
I hope this isn't horrible to say, but I once heard the name "Adar" for a girl and foresaw potential outrageous teasing with "Misheh nichnas Adar marbim b'simcha." Otherwise it's a beautiful name, and for the most part I don't believe in stifling name choices out of fear of teasing, because EVERY name can be teased.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 11:31 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
The name Yenta is in my family with a few relatives named after her and they are the most successful wonderful beautiful women. Actually every other Yenty I know is too. It actually has a beautiful meaning but became derogatory after "Fiddler on the Roof".

It’s funny, I’ve heard many people say that every Yenty they know has a great personality and is very beloved.

For me, Yachne is a family name... I can’t do it. It would also be unusable in my circle

amother
Black

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 11:42 am
Shprintza
genesha
Zlata
Zelda
Tzeona
Breindy
Anshel
Hersh
Ber

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:15 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Yes, I know a few ppl with the name Rasha or Rashi. They're such fine wonderful ehrlich ppl. It's probably from the same name as Rasya or Ratza.

I don’t know what either of those mean, but I believe it is related to rose.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:18 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
For me, it's Yiddish names. Sorry if that offends anyone.

My sister has a Yiddish name and hates it. She's furious that my parents didn't give her the Hebrew equivalent (which, it turns out, the person whom she was named after was actually called).

I suppose Yiddish triggers me. I'm not sure why.

I agree. I have a Yiddish name too. I don’t hate it, but I’ve never used it. My kids all know that when it comes to naming after me, after 120, they should feel no obligation to use the Yiddish name. There is a beautiful Hebrew equivalent that they can use, or they can just use my other name.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:44 pm
Draizy

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:46 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Draizy

Is this short for something or a nickname? I kind of like it. :-) Feels like “Daisy” but with a refreshing drizzle.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names