Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What are some names you would NEVER use?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 6:42 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Yiska.
It's another name for Sarah Imeinu, but I've hated the way it sounds since my cousin named his daughter that many years ago.
Unfortunately, it's the name of my new granddaughter.

I hate it even more after having the meanest coworker ever with that name. I could literally ask her where the extra toilet paper was (when I was new) and she would respond with "WHY ARE YOU AKSING ME QUESITONS. WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?"

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 6:57 am
thunderstorm wrote:
When I was I camp they announced “Esther Malka you have a phone call”. I always wondered how they knew which Esther Malka they were referring to until one day someone enlightened me that Malka was her last name.

Lol. I know Esther Malka too. I’m assuming we all know the same one.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 6:59 am
Rasha
Pessel
Perel
Machla
Yafit (but Yifat is beautiful)
Zelda
Talia
Chagla
Shprintza
Dina/ Daniella
Shai
Osnat
Noy
Linoy
Yenta
Cheftziba
Lihi
Shmerel
Nimrod
Shmaryanky (is that even a real name?)
Shterna/ Sterna

I'm sure I'll think of more...

mommy2x

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:00 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Lol. I know Esther Malka too. I’m assuming we all know the same one.

Lol I know one too! Possibly! Laugh

windchime

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:00 am
Nimrod

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:07 am
If I wasn't Chabad, Mushka would be right up there for me with those obscure Yiddish names that only run in families.
For the record, I love Mussia.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:25 am
Raisin wrote:
I'm not a big fan of girls names that are originally boys names. eg Yosefa, Davida, Daniella, etc. They might be pretty names but I dislike the concept.

Rabbi Kanievsky includes girls names derived from boys name as names one should not use. Gaviriela, Meira, etc
But they seem popular in some circles.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:26 am
Here’s another name I’d never use
Pesha
First of all, it means sin in Hebrew. I know the name itself is yiddish but I can’t get past the Hebrew translation.
And this might seem immature, but it reminds me of the word pish LOL

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:29 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I'm no fan of the name, but it's from מחול, meaning dance, not the same root as illness.

I have an ugly Yiddish name, which I've told my kids they don't have to use. I wouldn't be offended if it turned up in this thread. I know it's an ugly name.

I can't believe no one mentioned Itchie as a name not to use.

Wasn’t machla one of the bnot tzelafchad?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Here’s another name I’d never use
Pesha
First of all, it means sin in Hebrew. I know the name itself is yiddish but I can’t get past the Hebrew translation.
And this might seem immature, but it reminds me of the word pish LOL

Pesha and Pessel are the same name.

I wouldn't use either of them, even though I know a Pesha and she's one of the sweetest people.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:33 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Wasn’t machla one of the bnot tzelafchad?

Yup. But so was Chogla, which I don't find particularly attractive either.

banana123

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:35 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Yup. But so was Chogla, which I don't find particularly attractive either.

https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....D7%99

banana123

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:36 am
windchime wrote:
Nimrod

It's actually relatively popular among secular Israelis.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:42 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Pesha and Pessel are the same name.

I wouldn't use either of them, even though I know a Pesha and she's one of the sweetest people.

I didn’t know they’re the same. But they definitely are both on my do not use list lol. I know 2 people with each of these names snd they are so kind so it’s nothing personal. But they sound awful! The one who is called Peshy, it always makes me cringe because it sounds so much like pishy. Very Happy

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:54 am
I live in Israel and know three non-Jewish Arab girls named Rasha, so maybe it's an Arab name used by Morrocan Jews, etc.

As for Chaya, I've heard it used in a positive context meaning "wild animal". A girl was using it to describe another girl on the soccer team who was very talented and very energetic.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:56 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I live in Israel and know three non-Jewish Arab girls named Rasha, so maybe it's an Arab name used by Morrocan Jews, etc.

As for Chaya, I've heard it used in a positive context meaning "wild animal". A girl was using it to describe another girl on the soccer team who was very talented and very energetic.

Growing up I had a neighbor Chaya Aidel. Her mother would say sometimes she is sweet and acts like her second name and sometimes she behaves like her first name! Laugh

mommy2x

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:00 am
Chaya means animal and someone can act like an animal but the wild part comes from "vilda" like "he's acting like a vilda chaya" The literal translation of chaya means animal because animals are the only other living creature besides human. Not sure where you guys keep adding wild into the mix.
(no my name is not Chaya Wink

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:02 am
mommy2x wrote:
Chaya means animal and someone can act like an animal but the wild part comes from "vilda" like "he's acting like a vilda chaya" The literal translation of chaya means animal because animals are the only other living creature besides human. Not sure where you guys keep adding wild into the mix.
(no my name is not Chaya Wink

Okay I thought בהמה is an animal and חיה is a wild animal and they both don’t have the same translation but I confess I may be wrong.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Okay I thought בהמה is an animal and חיה is a wild animal and they both don’t have the same translation but I confess I may be wrong.

I would never ever name my kid בהמ"ה
Someone did name their kid Baruch Haba Melech Hamashiach, and its roshei teivos are בהמ"ה...

mommy2x

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:19 am
Just what I learned in school. But I may be wrong too. But to me, there are plenty of "Chaya" 's here who may be getting insulted because their name doesn't mean wild animal. I would imagine it's hurtful as it is a pretty common name and really doesn't have a negative connotation. Not that animal is a positive connotation, but at least it's usually used to be talking about "life" and "alive" (hashem blew a nefesh chaya into Adam and Chava) and occasionally used as "animal" but majority of the time it's talking about alive/living.
Again, my name is not Chaya but most of the names being bashed here are considered mostly unusual and chances are the people don't love them themselves if they do have it. But chaya is a pretty common name and someone with that name may get insulted. I happen to have a very common name and I have heard people saying they don't like it and wouldn't name their kids that, but then they remember it's my name and they feel so awkward and stutter "but it's really nice for you just idk if I'd name it". I don't particularly love my name either even though it has a beautiful meaning so I don't get insulted. But even though no one would put my name on a specific bad list (it wasn't listed here and probably never will be, it's Hebrew, has a beautiful meaning, it's common and I know plenty of people with this name who are happy with it-overall a very typical normal name that everyone knows the meaning of), in my opinion, someone named chaya may find it insulting to insinuate that her name means "wild animal" and be on a bad list because it's not an unusual name with a usually negative connotation. If my name meant wild animal and people joked to me how I acted like a wild animal, I would be very insulted.
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names