Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What are some names you would NEVER use?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

sequoia

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 5:25 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
My elementary school was the upper floor of a temple called Temple Emanuel.

Mine too.

If we went to the same school, it was a Reform, not Conservative temple. Very yekkish/Classical Reform, as I recall.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 5:44 am
I wouldn’t name my child elka - and Bh know I can’t because it’s my own
😜

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 5:47 am
Always said I wouldn’t name my child Bracha. It’s a regular normal name but I had a bad connotation with a girl in my class who’s name was Bracha. My oldest DD is named Bracha, after a grandmother. No, I don’t love the name now but she really is a blessing Smile a lot has to do with association.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 5:49 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
1. Agreed about it not being sensitive. Especially when some of your reasons are so arbitrary. Like Faiga means bird and has nothing to do with a faigala.

That's where the nasty epithet comes from. From the stereotype that effeminate, gay men, speak with their hands moving like birds.

It's offensive. (and we named a daughter a spin-off of "faiga" because we didn't like the connotations.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 5:54 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I live in Israel and know three non-Jewish Arab girls named Rasha, so maybe it's an Arab name used by Morrocan Jews, etc.

No, I believe it's a Yiddish name

Success10

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 6:47 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
I think this is very insensitive dear OP. You wrote plenty common names and I’m sure people around here either have them or have siblings or kids with some of those names. These are the names I’d never use:
Doggie
Hitler
Amelek
Eisav

I met an "Amalek" once. MASSIVE Israeli guy. Wouldn't want to get on his bad side.

heidi

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:36 am
OP, Gittel means "good"- which is why many Tovas are named for Gittel.
A divorce document is a גט. Not a Gittel

Last edited by heidi on Wed, Dec 02 2020, 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:41 am
[quote="Rappel"]חפציבה/Hepzibah.

I think my reasons are self explanatory Smile[/quot

That’s my cousins name

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:55 am
Funny story I believe to be true. It was shortly after the lubavitcher Rebbetzin passed away. In 770 a father named his baby girl just plain Mushka. When he was asked why he did not give her the full name "Chaya Mushka", he answered: "The Shvigger's a Chaye"

LOL LOL LOL

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:13 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Itchie is Yitzchok. An acceptable name with a terrible nickname

I know. I have a son named Yitzchak, but because I love him, I'd never use Itchie/Itche/Itchy as a nickname.

syaem

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:36 am
I’m surprised no one mentioned name Necha yet. Now synonymous with unkempt untidy woman.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:58 am
For anyone who may ever live or work outside of Israel, Moran is a very hard name. Totally normal in modern Israeli society, but not in the U.S., even if pronounced correctly with the emphasis on the second syllable.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 9:25 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
For anyone who may ever live or work outside of Israel, Moran is a very hard name. Totally normal in modern Israeli society, but not in the U.S., even if pronounced correctly with the emphasis on the second syllable.

These are one of those names that has a terrible translation into English Banging head

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 9:28 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
No, I believe it's a Yiddish name

There's a yiddish name Risha called Rishy. I think it comes from the name Raizel or Roiza.

keym

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 9:33 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
There's a yiddish name Risha called Rishy. I think it comes from the name Raizel or Roiza.

Ren Schneur Kotler's Rebbitzen was Rishel.
Nowadays there are dozens of Rishels running around Lakewood.

4g01o

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 9:35 am
Shprintzy

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 9:39 am
keym wrote:
Ren Schneur Kotler's Rebbitzen was Rishel.
Nowadays there are dozens of Rishels running around Lakewood.

Really? I don’t know any.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 9:40 am
Rappel wrote:
חפציבה/Hepzibah.

I think my reasons are self explanatory Smile

Does this name make anyone else think of 'The House of Seven Gables'? Or am I the only book nerd on here.

keym

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 9:47 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Really? I don’t know any.

My kids are friends with some Kotler's, Schustals, and Krupenias. They all have sister's Rishel around 6 and under.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 9:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What names would you never consider? Feel free to state why you feel negatively about the name. This is just for fun and don’t think too much into it.
I’ll start:
Yenta - if it isnt obvious enough, this name has a big association with being a gossiper and meddler
Faiga/Fayga - used to refer to someone as gay (he is a faygalah).
Chaya - one meaning is beautiful (life) but the other is pretty awful (wild animal). I’ll stick with Chava where a yud and vuv are considered interchangeable. Chava is a beautiful name, aim kol chai.
Trany - never heard of this name till recently but no, just no. Refers to someone who changes their gender.
Gittel- in Hebrew means a gett
Pessel - in Hebrew means an idol
I also don’t like Fraida. Reminds me of the word afraid.
For boys I don’t like Mechel, Shmerel, Berel but I don’t have a particular reason why.

I hear what you're saying, but I do have to point out that you are disliking names for how they SOUND and not for the MEANING of the names.
Gittel does not mean a get. A get is a get. Gittel is a beautiful name with a ג,י,ט,ל the word get does share two letters, but... im not getting you...
Pessel is a yiddish name and is spelt פעסיל whereas there is a hebrew word spelt פסל
Page 5 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names