Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
S/o How long do you wear your shaitels for?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:31 pm
ie How often do you get a new one?

I just got a new Shabbos shaitel after wearing the old one for 9 years. I don't care what the style is; I wear what suits me.

(Can you tell I live OOT?)

yksraya

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:33 pm
2 years on average (synthetic). But some last me longer.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
ie How often do you get a new one?

I just got a new Shabbos shaitel after wearing the old one for 9 years. I don't care what the style is; I wear what suits me.

(Can you tell I live OOT?)

Same but I live IN town.

My shabbos one is 8 years old and my everyday Shaitel is 3 years old. Both purchased for special occasion.

No plans to get another anytime soon; not a (financial) priority for me. (My Shaitel’s cost 2500-3000)

Redbird

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:54 pm
Till its dead.

Ive never spent enough to have one that can last 9 ears though. Longest was 5.

twogees

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:10 am
I have 1 thats 6.5 yrs old and another thats 2. (I did have 1 for 4 yrs that I sold due to the fact that it didnt suit me anymore.)

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:27 am
My favorite fall was $250 in 2000 (yes 20 years ago!). The other one that I typically wear is my newest one and is 8 years old and was my most expensive at $360. I have 2 others. One is shorter and the other knotted from day one and I don't wear it because it is knotted and I won't get rid of it because I didn't get any use out of it.
I barely wear them-only on Shabbos/YT, a simcha or if I am going somewhere like 2x per year work conference, PTA meeting, or the rate times I actually went out before COVID.
I have washed and dyed them myself.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:34 am
One of mine lasted a year and was $500. It was so comfortable and I loved it. I'm sad it didn't last longer it's already balding.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 6:40 am
Depends on the company. My Irene was garbage after 3 years. My Kiki is 5 years old and going strong. My mazali was a fall, and made it to 2 years.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 6:50 am
Married 5 years.

My Irene is 5 years old and still looks amazing.

My Miri is 2 years old and is ok.

My Beverly is new- got it this summer- and the hair is so stunning I hope it will last!

Got plenty of other wigs in between that I ended up selling because they really didn’t last or the style didn’t suit me. Bella, Rosemarie, kiki.. A wig is mazel!!

amother
Green

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:04 am
I find that color matter too.
Blondes gets oxidized much quicker. So my wig that's now probably 4 years old is kinda orangey already. I keep thinking if I should or shouldn't give it in to dye. And since it's not new, I'm not sure it pays.

We live and learn. Therefore, when I purchased a new wig a half a year ago, I went a shade or even 2 darker and put in blonde highlights. It's much much prettier. Don't know where I was till then.

cnc

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:09 am
Till they die.
I find that they usually last me around 6 - 7 years .

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:35 am
Depends
$2500 (Kiki) - 5 yrs. added hair ($450) and then another 1.5 yrs. so 6.5 total. Loved it.
$1000 (bella, sari, mazali) - 2-3 yrs
$1500 (freeda) - 4 yrs

Personally I’d rather spend less and buy more often.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:26 am
9-10 years but the last two years it looks awful. Just couldn’t afford to buy a new one before then.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:32 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I find that color matter too.
Blondes gets oxidized much quicker. So my wig that's now probably 4 years old is kinda orangey already. I keep thinking if I should or shouldn't give it in to dye. And since it's not new, I'm not sure it pays.

We live and learn. Therefore, when I purchased a new wig a half a year ago, I went a shade or even 2 darker and put in blonde highlights. It's much much prettier. Don't know where I was till then.

Of course it pays! Just recut and recolored my 2 year old Miri. Spent about $300. The difference is incredible. I can get another 2 years out of this $1,300 wig now.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:38 am
My Irene is looking worn out now after 3 years. Because it's my only sheitel it gets a lot of wear. It also has a big rip in the cap that I can't send to get repaired because it's my only sheitel. I planned to get another sheitel this year but then 2020 happened and financially it wasn't feasible. I'm hoping by next summer I'll be able to do it. Meanwhile I wear my fall as much as possible in situations where I can. It' easier in winter because hats are more socially acceptable

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:41 am
One is 13 1/2 years, I keep trimming it, mending the cap and dying it. It’s good enough for a backup weekday.
A Sophia, probably 9 years. It’s currently wet in my sink. It’s still going strong. A friend gave me one maybe 2 years ago. It’s fine and comfortable, but it needs too much attention. It needs curlers in at all times, brushed and set on the sheitel head immediately upon removing. I don’t have the patience, so I don’t wear it.
Yes I do need a new one, but I want to love it. Therefore I’m reluctant to buy.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:42 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Of course it pays! Just recut and recolored my 2 year old Miri. Spent about $300. The difference is incredible. I can get another 2 years out of this $1,300 wig now.

2 years isn't 4.
I'm in a dilemma cuz it's starting to thin out already.
It's an Irene bought on sale for $850.
Guess will see what sheitel macher says.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:43 am
For those of you who have wogs over 4 years old do you keep changing the style? For example- ten years ago side bangs was very in. I don’t know anyone who wears them now...

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 9:02 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
For those of you who have wogs over 4 years old do you keep changing the style? For example- ten years ago side bangs was very in. I don’t know anyone who wears them now...

Either we don't care or you can recut- I just recut a side bangs shaitel to a full bang.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 9:53 am
Mine only last about 2 years because I'm stuck in a cycle of only having one that I wear 7 days a week.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels