Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Please tell me about fish!

tigerwife

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:19 pm
We’d love to get a pet, and fish seem like the simplest solution for us now. Any advice would be helpful!

Can I buy any aquarium from Amazon and then get fish at a pet shop? Or would you recommend getting everything from A-Z at a pet shop? Which pet shop? (Near NJ or Brooklyn).

Which fish do you recommend? The beta fish are beautiful, but do they die very fast? Can I get a self-cleaning tank? I remember hearing about a fish that cleans the tank by eating the residue?

Thanks so much!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:21 pm
Get the tank and the fish at the pet shop. Start with a small one first. Petco should have a variety

behappy2

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:25 pm
I think you mean algae eaters. Otto cats are best for that. You can also get some Siamese algae eaters. In the let shop they will tell you which are easiest to care for. There are freshwater fish and saltwater fish. Petgoods and pet smart are good for tanks. Goldfish are easiest but you can't put other fish in the tank and you can't put too many. Or comets. Also do a 6 weeks fishless cycle after tank is set up. Hang fish food in a mesh filter bag and change every few days.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:56 pm
Thanks for the tips! What do you mean by a fishless cycle? Should I set up the tank 6 weeks prior to buying the fish?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets