Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do people mistake your name?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:05 pm
E.g. your name is Shaina but people insist on calling you Shaindel (because that's what they're more familiar with). Do you correct them or think it's not worth embarassing them (especially if you've known them for several years).

I'm of two mind about this. (Is there a good name for that? Schizophrenia, for instance...)

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:06 pm
I have a very easy last name - it’s literally a short common word in the English language. And yet somehow everyone mispronounces it. 🤷🏼‍♀️

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:10 pm
Yes. I get called Hadassah way too much. I hate the name Hadassah. Likely because people call me that when I’m a Hadas. And no. It’s NOT a nickname for Hadassah.

I correct everyone.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:12 pm
My daughter's name is Tzippy (Tzipra) and so many people, including some teachers, call her Tziporah. Makes her & me so nervous. My grandparents officially call her Tziporah no matter how many times we correct them.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:18 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
My daughter's name is Tzippy (Tzipra) and so many people, including some teachers, call her Tziporah. Makes her & me so nervous. My grandparents officially call her Tziporah no matter how many times we correct them.

I never heard the name Tzipra before. Pretty!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:29 pm

You're related to me, and I also have the same problem with a different name. I gave up on correcting anyone even though one of the names people mistakenly use is a name I don't like.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:36 pm
My daughter's name is Brochi.
She had a principal who would call her Rochi-Rochella. That was awkward.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:37 pm
My name is Sima. I’m the only Jew where I work. I get called “Sy-ma”, “See-ma”, and “Sam-a” all the time

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:54 pm
I hear that a lot with Frady vs. Fraidy

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:55 pm
Es- ther. Come on people. LOL

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:57 pm
oh I love sima...what does the name mean? sounds beautiful!!!

ppl (especially my nonjewish collegues) call me arielle ALL THE TIME: and I hate it. I do hint that my name is actually ariella (which I also dont really like, but I cant do much about that Smile )

my son has a very typical jewish name but since his bris we use a quite uncommon nickname. it is pronouncable but I doubt anyone else has this exact nickname and believe it or not: 90% of the TEACHERS, GANANOT, FRIENDS, CLASSMATES mispronounce it-for years and years. we just dont get it- its not super difficult to pronounce the nickname correctly. for heavens sake if it IS too difficult just call him his regular name but dont make up new weireder combos Smile

he used to be very upset about it but outgrew it and now we just smile every time we hear his name mispronounced yet again.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:02 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
You're related to me, and I also have the same problem with a different name. I gave up on correcting anyone even though one of the names people mistakenly use is a name I don't like.

Why do you think I'm related to you?

blessedflower

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:11 pm
All the time! More people say and spell my name wrong than right. After I have birth, my neighbours made me breakfast. Our of 7 neighbours only one wrote my name good on the note.
I don't mind, I already expect it to be wrong.
It did bother me at graduation, everyone got a siddur with the name embossed on it, I was very upset that mine name was spelled wrong. I never used it

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:22 pm
I correct them

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:22 pm
My name is Shaina and I’m always amazed at how many people get it wrong.

blessedflower

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:50 pm
I love the name Shaina 💖

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:55 pm
I'm a Rebecca and I constantly get called Rachel. It's to the point where if I hear someone say Rachel, I just expect that they mean me. If it's a situation where it doesn't really matter, I don't even correct them. But it is fairly bothersome that it happens time and time again, and it puts me in an embarrassing position because I'm never sure if I should correct them or not.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:56 pm
Why do you think I'm related to you?

Tzipra is a name in our family and I never heard it anywhere else. Now watch ten imamothers come and tell me I'm not so special and they have dd's named Tzipra. By the way I think it's a really cute name name and everyone who knew her loved the Tzipra we're naming after!

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:01 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
oh I love sima...what does the name mean? sounds beautiful!!!

ppl (especially my nonjewish collegues) call me arielle ALL THE TIME: and I hate it. I do hint that my name is actually ariella (which I also dont really like, but I cant do much about that Smile )

my son has a very typical jewish name but since his bris we use a quite uncommon nickname. it is pronouncable but I doubt anyone else has this exact nickname and believe it or not: 90% of the TEACHERS, GANANOT, FRIENDS, CLASSMATES mispronounce it-for years and years. we just dont get it- its not super difficult to pronounce the nickname correctly. for heavens sake if it IS too difficult just call him his regular name but dont make up new weireder combos Smile

he used to be very upset about it but outgrew it and now we just smile every time we hear his name mispronounced yet again.

Thank you! It’s Aramaic for “hidden”.
Ariella is one of my favorite names 😍

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:04 pm
[quote="amother [ Violet ]"]oh I love sima...what does the name mean? sounds beautiful!!!

I have a daughter Sima. It means hidden treasure in Aramaic. There’s a quote in Gemara, I forget where, that says, סבתא בבית סימא בבית. The rest of the quote was not so flattering to having a grandfather in the house😆
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names