Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O if your relatives are very different, how?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:14 pm
I’ve been reading some threads where people comment about relatives who are Satmar while they’re very not, or a non Jewish relative while they’re obviously Jewish etc.

And am wondering is your family colorful? If yes how, and what was the original expected path?

I’ll start: 1 generation up ( parents and in laws kids)
Original expected path: open minded Satmar
We have members who are :
much more chassidish (wearing shpitzel)
MO
OTD
Typical chassidish
Chassidish lite

ETA: everyone gets along very well. Bh!
Respect all around basically.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:24 pm
My parents and in-laws are Baalei Teshuva. So we have cousins that are Satmar, JPF, not Jewish, Yeshivish, and secular.

Among my siblings expected path was Chabad. We have Chabad Lite, super-Chassidish, and not-quite-Shomer-Shabbos.

cnc

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:24 pm
I have close relatives(siblings and siblings in laws, first cousins , aunts and uncles )that are not religious, MO, litvish yeshivish, light chassidish / heimish , very very chassidish ( wear a front etc). Everyone basically chose their own path and we all get along beautifully and are close.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:26 pm
Why? Because they decided to be.

Everyone's family I know is different. Every person is different and ends up in a different place.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:27 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Why? Because they decided to be.

Everyone's family I know is different. Every person is different and ends up in a different place.

You’re right, I meant to write “how”.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:29 pm
My ancestors are from eastern Europe.

One side was chassidish before and after the war. When my grandparents arrived to the US they ended up in the Midwest and sent their children to a co-ed school. My father was the oldest and was brought up in such an environment in the early years. When he was in middle school they moved to NY and started sending to chassidish schools. My father kept the American part of him, while his younger siblings assimilated easily into chassidish culture.

The other side leaned toward chassidus, as they were acquainted with the rebbe that lived in their European town. After the war my grandparents were JPF, with my grandfather being clean shaven and enjoying being part of a heimish shtiebel. My mom was the oldest and my grandfather wanted her to marry a man with a beard. She wasn't used to that and wasn't interested. So my grandpa decided to grow a beard. Smile

My parents married and they built a home without chassidish minhagim as my father told my mom to run the home as she saw in her own home. He also wore a streimel on shabbos, though in the weekday he wore a fedora and business suit. They valued brachos from rebbes and went for visits to a few different rebbes a few times a year. They sent the children to bais yaakovs and comparable yeshivos.

From both sides we have cousins that are MO, chassidish, JPF, and conservative. We are all close.

In our immediate family the girls married chassidish men who weren't raised in chassidish homes (came from American families) and are raising their families with various degrees of heimish, JPF or chassidish. The guys married yeshivish, BY or MO girls and are raising their children as such.

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:36 pm
Ohhh, we have atheists (Hashem Yishmor), Daatia Le'umi, very very frum litvish, heimish, satmar chassidish, MO.

I'm referring to my parents siblings. My own siblings- we are a young family. The few that are married are mostly heimish.

BH we get along with all of our aunts/ uncles and cousins. They attend our weddings and partake in all simchos.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’ve been reading some threads where people comment about relatives who are Satmar while they’re very not, or a non Jewish relative while they’re obviously Jewish etc.

And am wondering is your family colorful? If yes how, and what was the original expected path?

I’ll start: 1 generation up ( parents and in laws kids)
Original expected path: open minded Satmar
We have members who are :
much more chassidish (wearing shpitzel)
MO
OTD
Typical chassidish
Chassidish lite

ETA: everyone gets along very well. Bh!
Respect all around basically.

I mean the dayan Moshe Menachem Tyrnauer's half brothers or step brothers whoever they are send their kids to Vien BP so yeah.........

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:48 pm
We are every color of the rainbow in my family. I love looking at my family portraits at simchos where you see how we are all so different. But I love it that way.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:56 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
We are every color of the rainbow in my family. I love looking at my family portraits at simchos where you see how we are all so different. But I love it that way.

Same.
What amazes me is when I see a family of 12 married kids all looking identical from head to toe to hashkafos to school to head covering. I wonder if they all want to look identical or they’re just afraid of being different.

Last edited by ExtraCredit on Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:56 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
Ohhh, we have atheists (Hashem Yishmor), Daatia Le'umi, very very frum litvish, heimish, satmar chassidish, MO.

I'm referring to my parents siblings. My own siblings- we are a young family. The few that are married are mostly heimish.

BH we get along with all of our aunts/ uncles and cousins. They attend our weddings and partake in all simchos.

Curious what the origins are....

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:58 pm
Can everyone also write what the origins are....no need to go to deep....it makes it more interesting!

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 7:00 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Same.
What amazes me is when I see a family of 12 married kids all looking identical from head to toe to hashkafos to school to head covering. I wonder if they all want to look identical or they’re just afraid of being different.

When my husband saw a bunch of siblings almost identically dressed...same style wig....same style clothing.....coat...scarf....same exact carriage and similar handbags he muttered “ your mother must be so proud” she created 8 clones!”

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 7:03 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
When my husband saw a bunch of siblings almost identically dressed...same style wig....same style clothing.....coat...scarf....same exact carriage and similar handbags he muttered “ your mother must be so proud” she created 8 clones!”
I’m sure their mom is actually proud! My question is if the kids are interested in looking like clones.

behappy2

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 7:04 pm
doodlesmom wrote:

Maybe their mother paid for all of it Very Happy

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 7:05 pm
Origins: Mother BT and followed litvish derech. (Her frum ancestors were Russian and wore the same levush as the Chofetz Chaim. They lived in the same village). My father is a convert who followed chasidish derech (not saying which Chasidus because I’ll be giving myself away if I haven’t already 😀) , father then went OTD more or less.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 7:06 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I’m sure their mom is actually proud! My question is if the kids are interested in looking like clones.

I’m sure she is, and would be devastated if one kid developed a taste of their own. Nothing to do with hashkafos!

Ridiculous!

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 7:28 pm
My entire family is pretty much Yeshivish. I’m MO.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 7:38 pm
Moms side is identical in every way going back to the great grandparents on both sides. We’re talking hundreds of descendants if not more on each side. Up to the grandparents I am the only one of hundreds of first cousins whose head covering is different. Yay.
Dads family is a lot more colorful. Ranging from neturai karta, to belze, to stolin, to otd, to MO, to Satmar, to breslov, to nonjewish, to sefardi, and so on. We all get along for the most part (the one intermarriage is painful for his dad), and simchas are way less boring.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 7:47 pm
my parents arent frum im a bt
dad is sefardi mom is ashkenaz

my in laws are yeshivish

dh and I are yeshivish
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics