Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Posts that "balloon"

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 5:21 pm
I've noticed an interesting phenomenon here where the OP will ask a question or ask for help etc and not provide a whole lot of information... eventually as the thread progresses and the OP responds to posters, it uncovers a whole lot of dysfunctionality that was left out of the original post.
Why do you think this happens? What are the most memorable incidents of this happening?

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 5:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've noticed an interesting phenomenon here where the OP will ask a question or ask for help etc and not provide a whole lot of information... eventually as the thread progresses and the OP responds to posters, it uncovers a whole lot of dysfunctionality that was left out of the original post.
Why do you think this happens? What are the most memorable incidents of this happening?

Why was your post reported?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 5:24 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Why was your post reported?

You're asking me? Lol

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 5:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You're asking me? Lol

I see it’s not reported anymore ...
To answer your question, yes I’ve noticed it too. I guess OPs don’t always write their whole life story in the beginning but as the discussion “balloons” she automatically offers more info by answering specific questions.
One thread that comes to mind is the one where a boy was left out in Switzerland. There was so much info missing at first.
It kept getting weirder with every post.

pause

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 5:34 pm
Another one I remember where the OP got fed up at her DH for a minor thing while they were eating out, and we all told her she overreacted... until more and more serious abuse came out in subsequent posts.

crust

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 5:36 pm
pause wrote:
Another one I remember where the OP got fed up at her DH for a minor thing while they were eating out, and we all told her she overreacted... until more and more serious abuse came out in subsequent posts.

And I still wonder if she is safe.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 5:39 pm
crust wrote:
And I still wonder if she is safe.
me too. I think about her all the time.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 5:39 pm
I'm hoping I can get advice without having to confess to all of my dysfunction. It's very hard to be attacked, and if I can avoid that I will.

(People here think that it's their job to tell me how awful I am when my best is not quite cutting it. And they are all positive that they have figured out the ideal order of working on things. Like, "So start cooking dinner earlier!" as if that should be the biggest priority in my life. You have no idea how many other issues I already fixed, and which other ones I'm working on, which might actually be more urgent.)

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 6:00 pm
pause wrote:

What post is that?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 6:09 pm
How do you see that a post was reported?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 6:10 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
What post is that?

Chivalry is dead

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 6:11 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
How do you see that a post was reported?

The exclamation point on the upper right corner turns red when it’s reported.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 6:22 pm
Happens all the time. The OP tries to get away with giving as little info as possible, which is understandable. The more info you provide, the better the chances someone will recognize you, or think she does. Also, the more info you provide, the more likely it is that one or both of two things will happen: a. you will look less like an innocent victim and more like someone who contributed significantly to the problem or IS the problem and you'll be advised to do things you know you should but were hoping to get away with not doing; or, b. you will be 'forced' to provide information that will show that your original question is only a small part of a much bigger problem and can't be addressed without addressing the bigger problem.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 6:23 pm
Thanks zaq for clarifying without pointing to specific posters.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics