Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Would you correct a teacher
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 3:44 pm
If you were in a classroom and the teacher was not teaching something correctly would you correct them?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 3:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you were in a classroom and the teacher was not teaching something correctly would you correct them?

What type of classroom? A seminary/high school/elementary classroom, they should wait till after class and talk to the teacher in private.
A college teacher you can correct during class.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 3:47 pm
I would say I heard a different pshat, or thought it worked differently. I would not say I know for a fact.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 3:48 pm
Totally. As a kid.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 3:50 pm
In a preschool classroom. Teacher was teaching the Chanukah story and she said the miracle of Chanuka was that Hashem filled up the pitcher of oil to last 8 days

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 3:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In a preschool classroom. Teacher was teaching the Chanukah story and she said the miracle of Chanuka was that Hashem filled up the pitcher of oil to last 8 days

Pre school for sure. They don't know proper classroom respect & etiquette and generally just share information they know. It's very normal for pre school kids to tell the teacher "oh no the story doesn't go like that....." I wouldn't even call it correcting a teacher. Little kids say whatever is on their mind.
Are you asking about if you as a parent should correct the teacher?

CrazyDaisie

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 3:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Definitely, and I always did. In general, teachers don't resent it, or at least they don't show it. I never suffered negative consequences because of it.

I would like my students to correct me or to bring up their doubts if they think what I say is wrong. I'm not afraid of saying "I don't know" to a class, and still they regard me as competent.

Trying to be always right is a mark of insecurity, maybe of incompetence in a teacher. A good teacher doesn't need that.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 3:54 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Pre school for sure. They don't know proper classroom respect & etiquette and generally just share information they know. It's very normal for pre school kids to tell the teacher "oh no the story doesn't go like that....." I wouldn't even call it correcting a teacher. Little kids say whatever is on their mind.
Are you asking about if you as a parent should correct the teacher?

The kids are not correcting the teacher..I wanted to know if I was correct to correct her while she is teaching. I'm sorry if I was not clear! ( the kids are 3)

OOTforlife

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 3:55 pm
I'm in the preschool classroom as a parent volunteer? Or as a prospective parent touring? Either way, I would not interrupt the teaching, but would talk to the teacher afterwards if I thought a mistake was made.

CrazyDaisie

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 3:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Oh, you mean a parent, not a student?

No.

And I think in this cases there are several versions of how the ness occured exactly, (menora being filled once and lasting 8 days or menorah being filled anew every day) so I would not exclude that what this teacher said is one of the possible versions.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 3:57 pm
My daughter’s teacher is constantly mispronouncing important things like spelling words. I have no idea how to address it.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 3:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The kids are were correcting the teacher..I wanted to know if I was correct to correct her while she is teaching. I'm sorry if I was not clear! ( the kids are 3)

You're a classroom assistant? It's not polite or derech eretz for an adult or older kid to correct a teacher while she's teaching, especially in front of the students. You wait till after class and discuss it in private.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 4:02 pm
CrazyDaisie wrote:
Oh, you mean a parent, not a student?

No.

And I think in this cases there are several versions of how the ness occured exactly, (menora being filled once and lasting 8 days or menorah being filled anew every day) so I would not exclude that what this teacher said is one of the possible versions.

but the kids are 3 so they are not teaching different versions to them. The version that most preschools teach is that.. and I quote a song "he found a little shemen, it was a sight and Hashem made it burn 8 days and nights"
If your going to teach the song and read a book with that version, why come up with another version??
The bottom line is I'm a therapist in the classroom, kids need consistency or it 's very hard to do my job..I don't believe in throwing around different versions to a 3 year old!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 4:05 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
You're a classroom assistant? It's not polite or derech eretz for an adult or older kid to correct a teacher while she's teaching, especially in front of the students. You wait till after class and discuss it in private.

I'm not an assistant but a therapist in the room and you are right not to do it during the lesson

CrazyDaisie

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 4:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
but the kids are 3 so they are not teaching different versions to them. The version that most preschools teach is that.. and I quote a song "he found a little shemen, it was a sight and Hashem made it burn 8 days and nights"
If your going to teach the song and read a book with that version, why come up with another version??
The bottom line is I'm a therapist in the classroom, kids need consistency or it 's very hard to do my job..I don't believe in throwing around different versions to a 3 year old!

No, in this case I would feel that it is inappropriate to interfere.

Furthermore, children can handle different versions, it's part of chinuch.

In the song, the fact that it burns 8 days and nights does not say if it was filled in at once or refilled every day. So I think that you just have a set picture in your imagination, but that's not exactly what the sources say.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 4:35 pm
definitely only after in private if at all

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 4:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not an assistant but a therapist in the room and you are right not to do it during the lesson

Oh. Yeah that's out of place. I guess you know for next time.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 4:38 pm
It really depends. Definitely don't interrupt, only speak to her after class. But small mistakes I would ignore because they won't remember much from what they learned at 3 and they will relearn it properly at 4 and on.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 4:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Totally out of place.
A 3 year old's world is not going to be thrown into turmoil by not knowing whether a little bit of shemen burned 8 days or whether the oil was refilled or whatever. In fact, most 3 yr olds aren't paying that much detailed attention to the story.

Sorry, but you sound a bit OCD about kids and consistency. We are talking about two slightly different versions to a story, kids can take that just fine.

If I were the teacher, I would be annoyed. It's not your place to correct the curriculum. If you witness a blatant mistake, tell her later privately.

Tzippy323

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 5:01 pm
I have had many experiences with students who say a word completely wrong, and say that is how the teacher pronounced it. I try to verify, and more often than not, the teacher has said the word incorrectly. I teach in a school where this problem exists in spades. Many times, I attribute the mispronunciations to the way the teacher learned it when she was a student. Some of the errors, however, are inexcusable because there is a correct pronunciation guide right on the page, often, next to the word in the text. Have you ever heard the word irakwaz? Oh...Iroquois-proper pronunciation Ir-ah-koi. That is only the tip of the iceberg. It usually has little affect when you speak to the teacher, because she will just move on until the next error comes along. I suggest going to the principal who
can query the teacher and then suggest she use the pronunciation guide, and even teach her students (third grade and up) how to do so. Even then, if the teacher was taught incorrectly, it isn’t going to be easy to convince her that she is wrong. The problem is rampant in most yeshivas.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics