Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Would you correct a teacher
Previous  1  2  3

bsy

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 12:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In a preschool classroom. Teacher was teaching the Chanukah story and she said the miracle of Chanuka was that Hashem filled up the pitcher of oil to last 8 days

There are many pshatim as to how and what the nes was. There is an opinion that each day the pitcher was full again.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 5:05 pm
bsy wrote:
There are many pshatim as to how and what the nes was. There is an opinion that each day the pitcher was full again.

I apologized to the teacher for correcting her and told her that it was wrong of me in light of the fact that there are different opinions. She said although she heard of different opinions and that was more likely why she said it, she was glad that I had said something.
This teacher does have some memory issues and having worked with her for several years, I am the only one who know this. Yesterday, she was working on a project and something big was missing from it but I did not want to overstep. Well the preschool director called her out on it, she told me she totally forgot even though she did it the same way for 3 years. I could have kept her from not looking so great in front of her supervisor..on one hand I have to keep quiet on the other hand I know I also help her alot..so while it's easy for people to say I am just a visitor in the class , I know I am also a huge help to her every day. This puts me in a difficult position.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 6:07 pm
In English class in HS, my highly educated (Ivy League) teacher wrote “Illonois” on the board. I’m a natural speller and it was killing me, but I didn’t say anything so as not to be disrespectful. But it still bothers me that she misspelled that!

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 6:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I apologized to the teacher for correcting her and told her that it was wrong of me in light of the fact that there are different opinions. She said although she heard of different opinions and that was more likely why she said it, she was glad that I had said something.
This teacher does have some memory issues and having worked with her for several years, I am the only one who know this. Yesterday, she was working on a project and something big was missing from it but I did not want to overstep. Well the preschool director called her out on it, she told me she totally forgot even though she did it the same way for 3 years. I could have kept her from not looking so great in front of her supervisor..on one hand I have to keep quiet on the other hand I know I also help her alot..so while it's easy for people to say I am just a visitor in the class , I know I am also a huge help to her every day. This puts me in a difficult position.

In this specific case only, I would ask her if she would like you to correct her when you notice mistakes. Let her decide.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 6:51 pm
I teach 3 year olds and I always tell my staff in the beginning of the year that if they ever hear me saying a parsha or yom tov detail incorrectly they should be please let me know... but that’s just me

funkyfrummom

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 7:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
you're right maybe I am a little OCD, I need to work on myself..it could be worse..every time she says Mitzvahs instead of Mitzvos, I never correct her(even though it drives me nuts)..so that is something!

You are thinking she is mispronouncing Mitzvos, but it sounds like she is just saying it in English. I know many people who say "mitzvahs" (at least sometimes). It depends on the sentence and the audience, for me. Or do you mean when the teacher is speaking in Yiddish or Hebrew?

On dictionary.com you can see the pronounciation guide and listen to it being read (under plural/English-mitz-vahs).

I am a teacher myself (elementary, but have done older, too... never preschool). I understand why it is upsetting to hear mistakes being made by a teacher (whether perceived or actual). I think it is okay to ask a teacher about something. Think of it as a conversation, but not giving a "correction," and show respect for their job by not interrupting in the middle of instruction. Most teachers care very much for accuracy of content and the wellbeing of their students. Teachers don't want to make mistakes, but sometimes we do! Just approach her with kindness and at the right time. Smile
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics