Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Impulsive neutotypical child
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 8:14 pm
Why would a neutotypical child be impulsive. 4.5 year old will write on walls, took a picture that was mine and glued it to a paper and claimed it was hers. She lies a lot. Makes lots of trouble for lack of better verbiage. Almost appears bored. Silly. In general very contrary (refuses to get in pjs, or wants to put on pjs that I put away for next year, tells me to pick out her outfit for tomorrow and then says doesn't like it etc..) She loves to be the boss. Her nature is very independent, lots of personality, headstrong.

Is this due to her personality, her age or other?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 8:34 pm
Are you saying neurotypical because you're assuming this is so, or because she's been evaluated and you've ruled out neurodoversity?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 8:34 pm
Strep can cause this.

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 8:39 pm
Neurodiversity? That's a fun term.

Tachlis, she could have adhd later on, she could be gifted and bored, she could be a little immature or going through a developmental growth spurt. What are covid regulations like by you? I've seen quarantine cause this too (lack of playmates, access to outside and play space, boredom.)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 8:46 pm
I'm saying she is neutotypical bec I can tell. Everything about her is so normal.

Could it be strep if she's always been like this? Although the impulsivity seems to be more new.

According to her nature is her behavior not age appropriate?

She started school this year. Could that have anything to do with it?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 9:37 pm
I have a four year old daughter with a similar nature. She keeps me more on my toes than my one year old. Adorable, but very difficult. I don't think it means anything other then I need to have extra patience and brush up on my parenting skills. One of the reasons I don't really worry is because her teacher (last year's, this year's, daycamp - three different ones) all said she behaves well in a school setting. How is she in school?

bnm

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 10:01 pm
Normal is a setting on the wash machine.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 10:12 pm
Some kids need a lot of stimulation. My preschool son confuses walls, tables, and coloring books a lot. I always have to be one step ahead of him. I have a bag of cheap arts and other exciting stuff. When I see trouble and boredom are very near I have him get something from the bag. Scissors, markers, and glue also works sometimes to keep those hands busy.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 10:17 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Some kids need a lot of stimulation. My preschool son confuses walls, tables, and coloring books a lot. I always have to be one step ahead of him. I have a bag of cheap arts and other exciting stuff. When I see trouble and boredom are very near I have him get something from the bag. Scissors, markers, and glue also works sometimes to keep those hands busy.

Never scissors without real close supervision unless you like unique haircuts.

bnm

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:08 pm
She might need more sensory imput. She might be bored. Who knows.

Zehava

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:18 pm
Seems age-appropriate to me

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:55 am
sounds like you may need some parenting tips to give you ideas of how to deal with her but not that something is wrong with your daughter.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 3:48 am
Op I understand you. My child is like this. If there’s a open bottle of juice or a cup- he’ll spill it. if there’s a marker- he’ll decorate the walls. If the garbage is left open- he’ll kick it. He was evaluated and didn’t get any diagnosis.

It’s hard Sad hopefully they will grow out of it soon.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 4:00 am
disclaimer: I dont knoiw this child I can olny ASSUME

sounds to me that she is seeking attention.
it s important to chatch her doing things right and comment positively, encourage her to do other nice things too.
ignore impulsivity and dont get into discussions. it helps sometimes to say: we dont act like this in out house and leave.
then try to compliment or encourage her , give her attenti8on as soon as you can, I.e.: "great that you stopped I appreciate you understood what I said..."
make sure to have exclusive time with her, surprise her with outings, walks, tiny things that show her how much you appreciate her and give her POSITIVE attention. distract her from negative routines/behaviour patterns and set as few rules as possible (but stick to those).

I believe a healthy well guided child should outgrow this stage, if not they will start to rebell when older (due to the constant feeling of feeling rejected- it IS annoying having to deal with difficult inappropriate behaviour all the time and kids sense our mood and subconcious atttitude. so SHOW her that you appreciate her and encourage encourage encourae (I know you can sit nicely at the table, look using the fork might make eating noodles easier, tatty did you hear how nicely esti put on her pjs today, im so impressed, that makes me so happy...true honest encouragement, short and concice- AND ZERO TOLERANCE /ATTENTION for bad behaiour).

hazlacha, its tough.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 4:01 am
disclaimer: I dont knoiw this child I can olny ASSUME

sounds to me that she is seeking attention.
it s important to chatch her doing things right and comment positively, encourage her to do other nice things too.
ignore impulsivity and dont get into discussions. it helps sometimes to say: we dont act like this in out house and leave.
then try to compliment or encourage her , give her attenti8on as soon as you can, I.e.: "great that you stopped I appreciate you understood what I said..."
make sure to have exclusive time with her, surprise her with outings, walks, tiny things that show her how much you appreciate her and give her POSITIVE attention. distract her from negative routines/behaviour patterns and set as few rules as possible (but stick to those).

I believe a healthy well guided child should outgrow this stage, if not they will start to rebell when older (due to the constant feeling of feeling rejected- it IS annoying having to deal with difficult inappropriate behaviour all the time and kids sense our mood and subconcious atttitude. so SHOW her that you appreciate her and encourage encourage encourae (I know you can sit nicely at the table, look using the fork might make eating noodles easier, tatty did you hear how nicely esti put on her pjs today, im so impressed, that makes me so happy...true honest encouragement, short and concice- AND ZERO TOLERANCE /ATTENTION for bad behaiour).

hazlacha, its tough.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 7:02 am
Sit down on the floor. Get really bored, and try to think like a 4yo. Now look around and see how many things you can count that can cause trouble.

Now MOVE THEM OUT OF REACH! You need to child-proof every bit as much as you need to baby-proof.

It's your job to make sure that things have latches, are moved to higher places, are removed entirely until the child outgrows the tendency to break things, and even consider putting locks on cabinets if you have a little monkey that climbs on kitchen counters.

Please get a parenting class that can teach you about how to deal with strong willed and oppositional children. They need a very specific sort of parenting, and most books will not give you enough tools.

Definitely check for strep. It's an easy test and it can't hurt to have extra information.

Try removing all sugar and artificial colors from her diet. That alone may make a world of difference. If that doesn't help, take her to an allergist. A wheat or dairy intolerance can have profound effects on behavior as well, and most kids that age will only eat cheese and bread if you let them.

My 17yo DD has ADD, and when she went gluten-free she found that among a ton of other health improvements, she was able to sit down and study for hours, and finish all of her homework without getting frustrated. She went from a C average to an A- average in only a few months.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:50 pm
Thanks for all the advice. Forgot to add that she is very high strong.

She was a very hard baby, turned into difficult toddler and delicious but draining preschooler.

I used to attribute all this to her personality but she is very mature, bright and I thought she should be outgrowing some of this by now. But maybe I'm wrong.

My parenting with her is:

Tons of independence, choices (she basically decides what to wear, what to eat (with limits of course), compliments, a ton of bonding, play with her, read to her, consequences (not much), just making things very exciting and fun. I need to be very vibrant in in order to gain cooperation. Otherwise she runs me over.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 12:50 pm
Decided that what I think is impulsivity might be creativity.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 1:00 pm
My four year old sounds similar. He definitely keeps me on my toes, but teachers have only positive things to say. Most of the issues at home are due to impulsiveness, and I am hoping it will continue to get better as he matures. Its a personality thing. He hasn't stopped moving since he was a baby. I am working hard to channel his energy into positive things instead of bothering, hurting, messing....

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 1:02 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
My four year old sounds similar. He definitely keeps me on my toes, but teachers have only positive things to say. Most of the issues at home are due to impulsiveness, and I am hoping it will continue to get better as he matures. Its a personality thing. He hasn't stopped moving since he was a baby. I am working hard to channel his energy into positive things instead of bothering, hurting, messing....

BH also only positive regards from school. She is loads of fun. Always has a story to tell.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers