Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
What is the kugel blade?
Previous  1  2

watergirl

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:43 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Besides making kugel and latkes more than a few times a year, I also blend solids from soups. (Yeah, get an immersion blender. For some reason I didn't have mazel with it.) I also grind oatmeal, and in a pinch, matzah for kneidlach. If I have a lot of stuff to slice, I'll use the slicer too sometimes.

Gotcha. So since I make my potato kugel by hand, I guess for me there is nothing else I need it for? Other than when I make latkes on chanukah (I use the machine for that). I have an immersion blender that I use all the time for soups.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:53 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If I called up the manufacturers and asked for a "kugel blade", would they have any idea what I was talking about?

Braun officially calls it the Ultimate Kugel Potato Latkes Blade. Cuisinart calls it a Fine Grater Disc.

Tech_mom

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:19 am
Just wanted to thank ra_mom for putting the links up. My "kugel blade" has become dulled from use over the past 18 years and I am looking to replace it. (I use the same model food processor for Pesach and it makes better kugel cause the blade is a lot sharper). Till now, I had a hard time finding a replacement. (Last time I needed to replace a part, I was able to find it on Amazon)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:24 am
So glad you're getting a replacement piece Tech_mom!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:28 am
watergirl wrote:
Gotcha. So since I make my potato kugel by hand, I guess for me there is nothing else I need it for? Other than when I make latkes on chanukah (I use the machine for that). I have an immersion blender that I use all the time for soups.

I think I once read Yaffa Ganz say that if she got to bring one small appliance to a desert island it would be her food processor. This was before immersion blades, so who knows? Smile

challahchallah

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 11:16 am
watergirl wrote:

What do you use it for, other than potato kugel? I take my food processor out maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

I use mine for recipes where you need to incorporate butter into a pebble like texture, for example pie crusts and ruff puff pastry. I blend things like pesto or sauces (I don’t own a separate blender). I use it to chop up nuts into smaller pieces that my family prefers for various recipes. I use my slicing disc a lot to get thin sliced veggies. When I had a baby just starting solids, I would put veggies through the thick slicer twice and they’d come out as perfect sized little sticks to roast for baby-led weaning style. I grate cheese if a recipe calls for a lot of it; sometimes I also bulk grate cheese then freeze it for later. You can also use it to knead dough but I go for my stand mixer for that since the cleaning is easier. So yeah, I use mine often—apparently even often enough to break a cheap one within a few days over Passover.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 11:40 am
Thanks for the answers.
My food processor only comes with an S blade.
It does come with two different options for the top- it has two different sized holes on it.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 11:46 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Thanks for the answers.
It does come with two different options for the top- it has two different sized holes on it.

Those are grating discs, the one with the bigger holes will give you a course shred while the smaller holes will give you a finer shred. If in addition to little holes on the disc you see more of a line / gap, that means it can also slice if you install it flipped over.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:30 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Thanks for the answers.

The processor is also supposed to come with a slicing disk (has one long opening in the disk that gets inserted in the white top piece - it's used for making things like thinly sliced cucumber salad) and the kugel blade.
Maybe call up Braun and tell them the issue. They may send you the missing blades.
My dd loves to send such customer service letters out and waits eagerly for the replies and replacement packages. Smile

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:44 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The processor is also supposed to come with a slicing disk (has one long opening in the disk that gets inserted in the white top piece - it's used for making things like thinly sliced cucumber salad) and the kugel blade.
Maybe call up Braun and tell them the issue. They may send you the missing blades.
My dd loves to send such customer service letters out and waits eagerly for the replies and replacement packages. Smile

It's not a Braun. It's a cheaper version.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 2:28 pm
mommy1and3 wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I’m thinking then maybe it is worthwhile to spend on the Braun I used mine for 17 years BH till my son dropped it, so I definitely had good use of it.

They are not the same quality like they were back then. I only use a Braun.

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 2:32 pm
watergirl wrote:
I thought "kugel blade" was just the heimish way to say "s blade"?

I make my potato kugel with a safety grater and do it by hand. Its the only way my family likes it. I tried in my machine and we could all really tell the difference.

What do you use it for, other than potato kugel? I take my food processor out maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

I use mine fairly often. I make dips and chop veggies for the most part. I dont usually make potato kugel but I use the shredding blade and the S blade for all kinds of vegetables. Its especially helpful for making meatloaf and soups that you want onions, carrots, celery, garlic.

Librarian

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 6:08 pm
mommy1and3 wrote:
So I had the Braun processor till now unfortunately my kids broke it , have to get a new one, I can’t decide if it’s worth it too spend on the Braun processor again... hope I’m not hijacking the thread just thought maybe someone has experience with different brands

I don't know what part they broke but I was able to get a replacement part from the company.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes