Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Outdoor activities for kids- Miami
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:18 pm
We will iyh be in Miami with 3 little kids- ages 5, 3 and a baby. What are outdoor age appropriate activities there or places to go? Besides for the beach. Thanks

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:47 pm
for that age I wouldn’t look past pool and beach. Free and will keep them busy and you can’t do it (in winter) in NY. You can pile in the car and pay 100$ for a day at monkey jungle but they wouldn’t enjoy it as much as the beach

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 5:15 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
for that age I wouldn’t look past pool and beach. Free and will keep them busy and you can’t do it (in winter) in NY. You can pile in the car and pay 100$ for a day at monkey jungle but they wouldn’t enjoy it as much as the beach

The reason why I said no beach is because my husband is BH careful abt Shmiras eynayim. We may find an empty beach but there’s no guarantee. Also I see you just assumed I’m coming from NY but I’m not...
Anyone have ideas?

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 7:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The reason why I said no beach is because my husband is BH careful abt Shmiras eynayim. We may find an empty beach but there’s no guarantee. Also I see you just assumed I’m coming from NY but I’m not...
Anyone have ideas?

Excuse the assumption. Aside from
The prominence of New Yorkers on this site I assumed that you’d be going to a warm climate from a cold one. In any case, Miami will have women in non tzniyus clothing anywhere you go but I hope someone comes up with a suggestion that works for your family

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 7:52 am
Excuse the assumption. Aside from
The prominence of New Yorkers on this site I assumed that you’d be going to a warm climate from a cold one. In any case, Miami will have women in non tzniyus clothing anywhere you go but I hope someone comes up with a suggestion that works for your family

I don’t think I need to go into detail but theres a huge difference between non tznius clothing and bikinis on the beach.my husbands prefers to stay away from the beach.
I would love if anyone can give me some kid friendly ideas. Thanks

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 8:06 am
I’ve done this trip many times. It ends up being me Alone on the beach with the 5 and 3 year old, and family walks on the beach after dark. We also stay at a house with a pool so dh can hang there. Without that I don’t think We’d go to Florida. There’s nothing to do.
We’ve been to Amelia Earhart park and parrot jungle.

amother
White

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 8:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone have ideas?

If DH is careful with shemira eynayim, Miami should be out of the picture unless you're planning to rent a private house and he's going stay there throughout the stay.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 8:56 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I’ve done this trip many times. It ends up being me Alone on the beach with the 5 and 3 year old, and family walks on the beach after dark. We also stay at a house with a pool so dh can hang there. Without that I don’t think We’d go to Florida. There’s nothing to do.
We’ve been to Amelia Earhart park and parrot jungle.

Yes this was my next suggestion but I didn’t think OP would want to hear from me. And I don’t see that much of a difference between shorts and low cut tops and bikinis, honestly. It’s all going to be unacceptable to him but at a beach he can get an umbrella, pull a baseball cap down and look down at a Sefer while OP supervises 3 kids playing in the sand. Chasing little kids at a playground or walking around parrot jungle he must be more aware of his surroundings and can’t guard his eyes the same way. Anyway I hope OP gets a suggestion she finds acceptable

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:07 am
Yes this was my next suggestion but I didn’t think OP would want to hear from me. And I don’t see that much of a difference between shorts and low cut tops and bikinis, honestly. It’s all going to be unacceptable to him but at a beach he can get an umbrella, pull a baseball cap down and look down at a Sefer while OP supervises 3 kids playing in the sand. Chasing little kids at a playground or walking around parrot jungle he must be more aware of his surroundings and can’t guard his eyes the same way. Anyway I hope OP gets a suggestion she finds acceptable
I actually do see a difference between shorts and low cut tank top and a bikini. Bikini is a lot more like lingerie, shorts and a shirt like street clothing. Also, somewhere like Amelia Earhart park has a more family vibe, and (huge generalization here) moms dress more modestly than teens and 20 somethings, also behavior wise, the beach has a lot of couples bonding...

amother
White

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:13 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I actually do see a difference between shorts and low cut tank top and a bikini. Bikini is a lot more like lingerie, shorts and a shirt like street clothing. Also, somewhere like Amelia Earhart park has a more family vibe, and (huge generalization here) moms dress more modestly than teens and 20 somethings, also behavior wise, the beach has a lot of couples bonding...

But if a man is truly stringent with shemiras eynayim, for him it doesn't make a difference if it's a bikini or shorts with a low cut cropped tank top. There are plenty of men that go to Florida and stay in their villa throughout their stay.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:15 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:

For my husband who lives and works in Manhattan: there’s a difference

To a guy used to being in a heimish environment: I’m not so sure there is

That park looks great though. OP that’s a great suggestion and free which is huge for me!

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:23 am
I just remembered another place we go to - Biscayne National Park. I always remember it to be deserted. Besides for the beach there’s a splash pad (maybe 2?) and some playgrounds picnic areas and family bike rentals.
It’s hard to get to without a car, and not near hotels, probably why it’s always empty. But don’t go on a Sunday bec then all bets are off.

clowny

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:38 am
Oh c’mon there’s a big difference between wearing shorts and tank tops or thongs and strapless bras.

Dh wouldn’t either go to the beach but we’ve been to Miami several times. And on the streets you basically see the same dress code than in New York during the summer months.
So most men who are careful with shmiros einayim know how to be careful in Miami too while away from the beach.

Op, there’s a sea aquarium somewhere in Miami. I was never there with my kids but I think they would enjoy it.
Enjoy.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:57 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I just remembered another place we go to - Biscayne National Park. I always remember it to be deserted. Besides for the beach there’s a splash pad (maybe 2?) and some playgrounds picnic areas and family bike rentals.
It’s hard to get to without a car, and not near hotels, probably why it’s always empty. But don’t go on a Sunday bec then all bets are off.

There's a splash pad in the park? I searched their website but didn't see it. I would love to take my kids there!

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 12:59 pm
Not op, but I would love to hear more about Biscayne National Park! I think it would be perfect for my family! Any input would be appreciated Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 4:48 am
Thanks so much to those that responded with ideas! I really appreciate it, I will check them out!
To the posters judging my husband... so yes there is a major difference between ladies on the beach in bikinis and ladies that are in shorts and low neck tops... my husband is not this yeshivish guy and not gonna bring a Sefer along on our trip. My husband is out in the work force and is used to seeing how people walk around here in the summer. He is extremely uncomfortable with sitting on a beach full of bikinis. I’m sorry if you don’t understand the difference between the 2. I guess it’s a sensitivity that some people have.
Also I’m happy to stay off the beach and spend family time at a park, have a picnic, eat out and go to the seaquarium. No need to feel bad for me.

benny

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 7:20 am
We’ve been to Miami many times and my Husband never goes to the beach unless we find a very empty stretch.
There’s also south point park which is gorgeous and has playground and splash pad. (Sometimes the splash of has women in bathing suits...)

Miami zoo is really nice and you can rent a family bike that everyone can go in together so there’s not tons of walking. Adds to the fun.

The seaquarium is ok..

Are you specifically looking for little kid friendly or would you do other things? Often we’ve don’t things like Lincoln rd, bayside... and the kids enjoyed the outing though it isn’t specifically kid friendly. Have fun!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 7:42 am
benny wrote:
We’ve been to Miami many times and my Husband never goes to the beach unless we find a very empty stretch.
There’s also south point park which is gorgeous and has playground and splash pad. (Sometimes the splash of has women in bathing suits...)

Miami zoo is really nice and you can rent a family bike that everyone can go in together so there’s not tons of walking. Adds to the fun.

The seaquarium is ok..

Are you specifically looking for little kid friendly or would you do other things? Often we’ve don’t things like Lincoln rd, bayside... and the kids enjoyed the outing though it isn’t specifically kid friendly. Have fun!

Thanks

cbg

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 8:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone have ideas?

You can try the beach at Oleta Park- it’s PROBABLY empty
But just be aware it’s cold here today

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 8:38 am
You certainly can expect to see women walking around in bikini tops and very short shorts in a "beach town" sort of area when they are on vacation. Which is very close to a bathing suit.
(I once saw a European woman sunbathing topless in a Miami hotel courtyard. Nobody batted an eye.)
Certainly at a splash pad, I'd expect there to be moms in bathing suits.

Posts like these always make me laugh. If you want to go to a beach vacation area the most prime time of the year when it tends to be packed with vacationers, go ahead. But realistically this is not the place or time to have expectations of being able to "guard your eyes." If that is your priority you have to expect to sacrifice a bit for it. Miami in December or January isn't the place to be. Unless, as others have said you stay away from tourist spots and stick to residential areas.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics