Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary/college in Israel for new olim
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:38 pm
My DD hopes to make aliyah right after high school. We hope to follow her shortly thereafter. We are an out of town Yeshivish family. It seems like a "waste" of money to pay $25k+ for her to go seminary especially since she won't be returning to America. I know the Israeli government will pay for college for her there as a new olah and she hopes to get a degree in the computer field. Obviously, the government isn't paying for American style seminaries and/or Maalot.
Are there programs that would be a good shidduch for her? A place where she can get a strong computer education and a strong kodesh education that will take into account her poor Hebrew and new oleh status? She is more open minded-I.e. not Lakewood. Think solid out of town Yeshivish, parents are working.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:53 pm
Machon Tal in Jerusalem

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:55 pm
What about michlala? Maybe some combination of the American program and the Israeli program?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 11:13 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
What about michlala? Maybe some combination of the American program and the Israeli program?

I thought they only offer teaching degrees?

Rappel

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 11:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I thought they only offer teaching degrees?

There are no strictly religious public universities in Israel -- the ones whose tuition is completely covered by government. Many have large religious student bodies, like Ariel U, but their members run the gamut of religiosity.

There are religious colleges. The tuition will be partly covered by the government fund, and they'll still be a lot cheaper than seminary. Most of the women's ones, if not all of them, offer teaching degrees with some kind of concentration. "Teaching and art" "teaching and theater" "teaching and literature" "special ed" etc. I don't know what the women's half of Machon Tal offers. The men's half is a technological college, so there's a good chance they have something similar in the women's branch.

Mazal tov on this major step!!!!

chanchy123

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 11:50 pm
Rappel wrote:
There are no strictly religious public universities in Israel -- the ones whose tuition is completely covered by government. Many have large religious student bodies, like Ariel U, but their members run the gamut of religiosity.

There are religious colleges. The tuition will be partly covered by the government fund, and they'll still be a lot cheaper than seminary. Most of the women's ones, if not all of them, offer teaching degrees with some kind of concentration. "Teaching and art" "teaching and theater" "teaching and literature" "special ed" etc. I don't know what the women's half of Machon Tal offers. The men's half is a technological college, so there's a good chance they have something similar in the women's branch.

Mazal tov on this major step!!!!

The chareidi campuses aren’t government funded, Michlala chareidim?I didn’t know that. Machon Tal offers technological degrees and nursing - I don’t think in English. There are many “chareidi campuses” chareidi programs through known universities and colleges that cater to a similar segment of society here, they offer most professions you can think of, law, tech, therapies, accounting, etc, they have gender segregated classes and sometimes learn off campus, again not sure about language.
Neve used to offer a vocational/academic program in English, I wonder if they still do.

Rappel

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 12:34 am
chanchy123 wrote:
The chareidi campuses aren’t government funded, Michlala chareidim?I didn’t know that. Machon Tal offers technological degrees and nursing - I don’t think in English. There are many “chareidi campuses” chareidi programs through known universities and colleges that cater to a similar segment of society here, they offer most professions you can think of, law, tech, therapies, accounting, etc, they have gender segregated classes and sometimes learn off campus, again not sure about language.
Neve used to offer a vocational/academic program in English, I wonder if they still do.

Really?? I have to look into that. If I could attend a haredi program "at" a regular university, I'd be much more willing to return to my degree.

Referring to the michlalot - last I checked, you can put your aliyah benefit of a paid degree there, and they will cover some degree of the tuition.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 2:51 am
http://www.skamigdaloz.org/about.htm

This is probably too "modern", but I'm just putting it out there because of the mix of Israelis and Chutznikim.

salt

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 2:57 am
There may be places that do an ulpan or some kind of mechina before you start your degree. It may put you out by 6 months to a year.
I know that Machon Lev (the male counterpart of Machon Tal) has tons of chutznikim, so I imagine they have a built in Ulpan, so maybe Machon Tal does too.

That's the best place to get a computer degree in a religious female environment.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 3:25 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
http://www.skamigdaloz.org/about.htm

This is probably too "modern", but I'm just putting it out there because of the mix of Israelis and Chutznikim.

It's a fabulous place, but not for oot yeshivish girls.

I think Machon Tal has computer and nursing programs in English.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 3:44 am
What about Touro?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 4:20 am
I had a roommate in seminary whose family made aliya that summer. She went home for Shabbos, often leaving Thursday night. It made for a softer landing. It was nice also that her sister was in a highschool down the street.

jackiejoel3

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 4:37 am
Machon Tal has an English speaking computer science program but I believe the nursing program is only in hebrew. As far as I know this is strictly a degree program and they do not offer kodesh subjects of any kind. Yes, it costs but compared to a US degree it is nothing. I believe I saw it advertised for like 3500 dollars a YEAR! Tuoro is not allowed to enroll israeli citzens in their program.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 4:40 am
Rappel wrote:
Really?? I have to look into that. If I could attend a haredi program "at" a regular university, I'd be much more willing to return to my degree.

Referring to the michlalot - last I checked, you can put your aliyah benefit of a paid degree there, and they will cover some degree of the tuition.

I don’t know about tuition in these programs. But it’s worth investigation.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 4:41 am
jackiejoel3 wrote:
Machon Tal has an English speaking computer science program but I believe the nursing program is only in hebrew. As far as I know this is strictly a degree program and they do not offer kodesh subjects of any kind. Yes, it costs but compared to a US degree it is nothing. I believe I saw it advertised for like 3500 dollars a YEAR! Tuoro is not allowed to enroll israeli citzens in their program.

DD can probably defer her Aliyah.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 4:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It seems like a "waste" of money to pay $25k+ for her to go seminary especially since she won't be returning to America.

I know the Israeli government will pay for college for her there as a new olah and she hopes to get a degree in the computer field. Obviously, the government isn't paying for American style seminaries and/or Maalot.
Are there programs that would be a good shidduch for her? A place where she can get a strong computer education and a strong kodesh education that will take into account her poor Hebrew and new oleh status? She is more open minded-I.e. not Lakewood. Think solid out of town Yeshivish, parents are working.

That got me considering the value of a seminary year (money aside). I'm not sure that being in Israel obviates the value if a year immersed in learning Torah. A lot of Israeli girls will also take a שנת מדרשה, or find some other misgeret for a period of time devoted to learning before or combined with their degree.

In your specific case, I would reccomend looking at Michlala. They often have girls who have/are about to make aliyah. If she spends the first year in the chutznik seminary programme, that would give her a soft landing in a more supportive environment than going straight into an Israeli programme. The transition to the Israeli programme is fairly easy, and she would already have filled a lot of the Kodesh requirements which would take off some of the pressure later on. It won't hurt if she is able to do some of them in English, either.

As mentioned above, Michlala is a teaching college, and she would be required to do some education courses, but especially in areas like computers there are lot of girls who have no intention of teaching, and go there for the education in computing combined with the kodesh. It shouldn't be a problem finding a computing job afterwards.

The best thing would be to speak directly to them. I think if she is registered as a student and has made aliyah, she may well get government funding even in the chutznik programme. She won't be the first girl who has done this, and they will be able to advise you about the best way to organise it.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 4:50 am
Rappel wrote:

What subject was your degree in? Maybe someone can point you in the direction of a programme that would suit you. This is the right time of year to start looking.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 6:50 am
you have probably already done this; however, be sure to check when it is best for her to officially make aliya
different benefits may expire or be more advantageous at different times
while saving on tuition is compelling be sure to look at the big picture - and maybe it makes more sense to do touro in israel first, explore all your options first
hatzlocha!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:17 am
Thanks for all the thoughts. Machon Tal actually just started a program in English for Computer Science which sounds like would be a good match. They are heavily advertising in American Chareidi publications. That being said, it seems like their current students are more on the modern side I.e. the director (who is shomer shabbos but has a nose ring and a few holes in each ear-hardly a role model for my BY daughter) said the kodesh class that the girls took last year was gemara. I asked her how a BY girl could manage. She explained that there are a number of options of kodesh classes and my daughter could go to a more mainstream one (possibly even a Hebrew one that is part of their Israeli chareidi program). I am just concerned that even if she has the option to attend more mainstream programming that many of the girls will not be in the same place hashkafically as her.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:21 am
https://www.jct.ac.il/en/the-I.....women

So do we skip seminary and go right into this?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics