Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
$5,000+ Credit card payment on my bank acct, thats not mine?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 9:49 am
I have a pending charge on my Santander checking acct thats over $5,000 thats a (Citi) credit card payment, that I didnt make.

I called Citi to confirm that this has nothing to do with my one and only Citi account, and they confirmed. They said I have to take this up with my bank (Santander).

I called Santander and they said I have to wait 24 hours till this charge posts to my account (right now its a "pending" charge) to dispute the charge.

What may have happened here? I assume theres fraud involved.

hodeez

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 9:52 am
Definite fraud. Call Citi and ask if they have any accounts under your social. Tell your bank to make a note that this is fraudulent

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 9:53 am
I would also recommend locking your credit cards; I had my credit card information stolen a few times at the start of Covid and since locking my cards there’s only been one additional fraud attempt (that didn’t go through since the card was locked). So frustrating. I’m sorry you’re going through that.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 9:55 am
Possibly fraud but be aware that often times pending charges make no sense. I don't know why but many times I'll charge for example $100 and the pending charge will show some random amount like $1200. I guess wait until it clears to determine forsure what's happening. Hatslacha.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 9:57 am
hodeez wrote:
Definite fraud. Call Citi and ask if they have any accounts under your social. Tell your bank to make a note that this is fraudulent

The person opening the credit card with my social would have to have my Santander bank acct number to charge their bill to my Santander acct.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 10:28 am
Don't credit card companies only let you pay cc balance via another bank account transfer or check?

How would someone be able to pay their cc bill via a credit card?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 10:30 am
So I'm assuming they paid via transfer in which case your bank info is stolen not your cc info.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 10:48 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
So I'm assuming they paid via transfer in which case your bank info is stolen not your cc info.

I have my Citi card acct linked to my Santander acct, and thats how I pay. Not sure what you mean by transfer.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have my Citi card acct linked to my Santander acct, and thats how I pay. Not sure what you mean by transfer.

Not me.

What I think she's saying is that your bank account could be used to pay a whole different person's credit card. Eg, we pay our kids' credit cards, so they can establish a credit history. So it looks like your bank account was hacked, rather than your credit cards.

Although that's not necessarily the case. Certainly a semi-intelligent thief would not leave a trail of paying off her own credit cards!

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

IMNSHO, call back your bank and ask to speak to a supervisor. You don't want to have to fight to get the money back into your account, or to risk other payments bouncing. Someone should be able to look into it now.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:34 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Not me.

What I think she's saying is that your bank account could be used to pay a whole different person's credit card. Eg, we pay our kids' credit cards, so they can establish a credit history. So it looks like your bank account was hacked, rather than your credit cards.

Although that's not necessarily the case. Certainly a semi-intelligent thief would not leave a trail of paying off her own credit cards!

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

IMNSHO, call back your bank and ask to speak to a supervisor. You don't want to have to fight to get the money back into your account, or to risk other payments bouncing. Someone should be able to look into it now.

Yes that's what I was saying since OP said that someone used her bank account to pay a cc balance.

Quote:
have a pending charge on my Santander checking acct thats over $5,000 thats a (Citi) credit card paymen

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 3:35 pm
Update: The bank closed the acct while they work on attending to the issue, to prevent other fraudulent attempts, and the bank made up a new checking account for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics