Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 2.5 year old only child is so bored
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:15 pm
I don’t know what to do anymore. We have limited space but I think plenty of toys. Dc is not a big toy player though. I try coloring, play doh etc but it keeps them occupied for so short. We have many hours to occupy every day after playgroup and I’m starting to feel really bad for the child. I’m not into cooking and baking so that’s not an activity for us.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:19 pm
I had that by this age too. We did a lot of park visits, even if it was cold as long as it wasn't unbearable. We'd also go to the library, and do grocery shopping together (this one was a hit or miss, whenever it went really bad we'd stop doing it for a while).
Once she was 3 or so I saw it's just not going to work if she stays an only child forever, so we started trying for a second one.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:23 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I had that by this age too. We did a lot of park visits, even if it was cold as long as it wasn't unbearable. We'd also go to the library, and do grocery shopping together (this one was a hit or miss, whenever it went really bad we'd stop doing it for a while).
Once she was 3 or so I saw it's just not going to work if she stays an only child forever, so we started trying for a second one.

This is us too. I just bought a bunch of nice clothing to keep us warm and dry. I find my toddler does better with at least a few hours of outside time every day. Somehow miserable weather only bothers me?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:28 pm
As long as the weather was decent that’s what I did too. We went to the park almost every day. Now it’s really cold and it gets dark early (and I don’t live in a safe neighborhood) so we can’t do that.

Regarding giving the child a sibling, I tried... b’eh soon hopefully but even so, it takes time till that addition to make a playmate for dc.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:31 pm
My first DD did not go to school/playgroup at all until she was 3.5. I was very fortunate to be a SAHM at that point in my life. We davened.
We went for walks and to the playground. Played toys together (independently it didn't last long). Did art projects. Read stories. Went shopping and discussed all the things/colors/shapes...,cooked dinner /baked for Shabbos, read more books. Engage her/him in everything you do.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:33 pm
Call over a neighbor to play....

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:35 pm
I got my son the sprout cubby ipad and downloaded apps that taught him shapes and colors, and a lit of educational games that he could play with by himself.

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:36 pm
Do you have neighbors he can play with?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:37 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
My first DD did not go to school/playgroup at all until she was 3.5. I was very fortunate to be a SAHM at that point in my life. We davened.
We went for walks and to the playground. Played toys together (independently it didn't last long). Did art projects. Read stories. Went shopping and discussed all the things/colors/shapes...,cooked dinner /baked for Shabbos, read more books. Engage her/him in everything you do.

Dc has no patience. And honestly, I’m not cut out for hours and hours of entertaining. I wish I could be like you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:38 pm
gold21 wrote:
Do you have neighbors he can play with?

No. Live in a horrible neighborhood.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:40 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I got my son the sprout cubby ipad and downloaded apps that taught him shapes and colors, and a lit of educational games that he could play with by himself.

Dc already loves screen time too much and we limit it. I can’t see myself giving more, even if it’s educational games (also how can a kid so young learn how to play games on an iPad? I can’t imagine my child doing it. Just begging for more videos.)

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:51 pm
Do you have any cousins that have kids your age? You could make play dates, or watch each Others kids on alternate days.

gold21

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 12:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No. Live in a horrible neighborhood.

This is probably the first thing you need to address. Take my word for it.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 12:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dc has no patience. And honestly, I’m not cut out for hours and hours of entertaining. I wish I could be like you.

Can you work part time and send him out part time?

proud.to.be.me

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 12:25 am
todays activity was standing on chair next to the kitchen sink with the water on.. bath toys suctioned to the sides, plastic cups, measuring spoons.... made sure water temperature not too cold.. folded up towel in in front of sink. kept my 3 yr old occupied for a long time.. pouring water from one cup to the other, sipping water with the spoons and talking to herself. Smile good luck!

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 8:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dc already loves screen time too much and we limit it. I can’t see myself giving more, even if it’s educational games (also how can a kid so young learn how to play games on an iPad? I can’t imagine my child doing it. Just begging for more videos.)

This app was great https://apps.apple.com/us/app/.....85786

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 8:30 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Can you work part time and send him out part time?

Dc is out till 3. Goes to sleep at 7:15-7:30. I find those hours endless.

mom!

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 8:33 am
Bake with him. Sugar cookies with shapes are great but even cake or supper is amazing.
Dot art
Shopping/errands I find to be hit or miss at that age
Pizza shop for lunch or supper breaks up the day easily
Let him help sort laundry (can you find your shirt in the pile while you fold)
Hat laces!

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 8:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Don't wish you could be like me. Be happy to be as you are. Everything is a flip of a coin. All my (all of everyones) positive traits have negative aspects too. Hashem made you exactly how you are supposed to be.

ggdm

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 8:05 am
Going out is the best... can you at least walk home slowly at 3? That shouldn't be too dark yet.
We dance to music.
Read lots of books.
He plays alone with his cars for long stretches, maybe find the toy he really likes?
He "helps" me in the kitchen (e.g. put cut veggies into a plate, set the table, press the button to make coffee).
Bath and lots of playing in there.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics