Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 2.5 year old only child is so bored
Previous  1  2

oneofakind

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 9:44 am
A pet
Bathtub play. For variety get shaving cream, bath crayons

Sage

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:56 am
I have the same. My babe is home from 3 until he goes to sleep. I find that if I do one quality activity with him (baking, reading books, shopping, play outside) then he tends to be less naggy and will occupy himself for a while. it's like he needs to know that you are there for him and then will go take care of himself.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:00 am
Every morning, as long as it's not miserable out, we go for a walk and play outside. I keep toys in accessible locations so LO can get them on her own (I try to rotate the others, but duplo, crayons, books, stickers, and stuffed animals are always available). When the weather's bad we'll do a craft/more involved art activity like painting or bake something. I try to get some of my stuff done and let toddler help when possible-- fold laundry on the floor and she finds all the socks and matches them, sweep with a little broom or the swiffer, add the spices for dinner and help mix things. Sometimes she's very good at entertaining herself but sometimes she demands a lot of attention. It's a tough age.

imasinger

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:06 am
It's not easy!

One of my young grandchildren tantrums to call me after she gets home. I put on headphones so my hands are free, and she babbles for hours to me, which we both find entertaining, and frees some of my DD's time and attention.

It's probably easier than buying a puppy.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 7:02 am
oneofakind wrote:
A pet
Bathtub play. For variety get shaving cream, bath crayons

No. A 2.5-year-old’s boredom is not a valid reason to get a pet! Besides for the fact that it will be treated as just another toy by the child and he’ll soon get bored of it too, a pet is a living thing with needs and is a big responsibility! Kids can be unintentionally aggressive with animals, and if mom isn’t able to constantly supervise things can go wrong...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 4:15 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I had that by this age too. We did a lot of park visits, even if it was cold as long as it wasn't unbearable. We'd also go to the library, and do grocery shopping together (this one was a hit or miss, whenever it went really bad we'd stop doing it for a while).
Once she was 3 or so I saw it's just not going to work if she stays an only child forever, so we started trying for a second one.
Its great that you had the option to try for another child. But there are only children in the world and thats ok too.
They learn to play on their own and play with friends a lot and with parents as well.
A sibling is not always the possible answer to this question.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics