Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
S/O Class Chanukah gifts to teachers

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 12:39 am
If you give to the class gift then how does the teacher know that you specifically appreciate their hard work? Especially if it’s signed from the whole class! Do you give them something else also? Something personal?
Also curious from the teacher’s perspective do you feel like each parent appreciates you when it’s given in such a general way?

Elfrida

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 12:59 am
I don't remember that we gave presents to teachers at frequent I intervals throughout the year. That might be cultural (I grew up in England) or generational.

Either way, what sticks out in my mind was the end of year presents. My mother insisted that it was our chance to say thank you to the teacher for everything they had done, therefore the present was our responsibility. Even if it was a teacher we didn't like. She would help us make something, or aid our budget (and probably guide our taste!) if we wanted to buy something, but we always felt the present was coming from us.

She would write a card, and she might well have added something else which we didn't notice, but it was really a joint chance to express direct appreciation to the teacher.

I don't remember any of the presents being so big, and a lot of them were probably symbolic. We always felt proud to bring our own present. A group gift may or may not have been more expensive, but we wouldn't have gained the same from it.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 6:47 am
So send a quick note. We're actually required to send emails with updates to the parents every so often, and there's 1 parent who responds with a 1 line email saying thank you, and highlighting one thing her daughter loved that month. It probably takes her a minute and a half, but it really does mean a lot to me.

icebreaker

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 7:42 am
Tell them personally. Or at parent-teacher conferences.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 7:45 am
I don’t understand the obsession with proving to the teacher that you appreciate them. Why would they assume that I don’t appreciate them? I give tips to the teachers and rebbes because it’s expected. If they go above and beyond then I’ll give a larger tip.

Simple1

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 7:46 am
I tell them at PTA.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics