Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Is Chana used in Dati Leumi circles?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 9:19 am
I want to name a child after a grandmother, Henya. Henya is the Russian version of Chana, so it would make sense to name a child Chana, but I wonder how this name is regarded in Israel. Is there a name in DL circles that is used that is similar to Chana/similar meaning?

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 12:12 pm
Yes, I've met many Chanas in the DL circles

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 1:12 pm
I’ve met both Chana’s and Chani’s in DL circles.

yonabets

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 7:42 am
I think that the Israelies don't like the name Chana .

Last edited by yonabets on Sat, Dec 12 2020, 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 7:44 am
It's not modern. I came across one Chana in all of my dds' classes throughout the years, and she was French.
But it's perfectly fine, no one will think twice into it. It's not 'in' but it's not a weird name that will be made fun of either .

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 7:56 am
Not common but it's a famous name like rivka or Leah. So it's acceptable anywhere no matter how dated.

Rappel

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 7:56 am
It's a classic. It can't go out of style.

Btw - I LOVE the name Chana! And I didn't know Henya is Chana!

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 8:11 am
I'm a teacher and I have two Chanas this year in high school classes (one is totally Israeli). You could also use Chen, Chen-ya, or Yaalat Chen (which means something that arouses feelings of love, I think that's a beautiful tribute to a grandmother). That is a beautiful DL name. Most of them go by Yaala.

etky

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 8:19 am
My DD (25) is Hanna, named after my mother z"l.
When she was in gan there were at least 2 other Hanna or Hani's in her group and both the ganenet and the assistant ganenet were Hani and Hanna respectively. It was a bit confusing. Confused
I can't say that it's considered a trendy name by any means in DL society but there are still enough traditional-minded people who will use the name, usually to name after someone, without feeling the need to modernize it.
As Loves Hashem said, it's one of those classic names that will always be kept current because of how central they are to Jewish tradition.
BTW, many DL women now pronounce their name Ha-NNA, stressing the last syllable as in Tanach.

chanchy123

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:13 am
I am Chana. I have never been the only Chana.
It is not super popular a little outdated but still a classic. Two of my three daughters (15 and 8) have a Chana in their class, one of them also has a friend Chana in the neighbourhood. Mostly pronounced with the stress on the second syllable. It’s like Yosef or Moshe but not as popular is David, Sara, or Rachel. Worse comes to worse tack on a more modern second name.

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:16 am
My DD's name is Chana, she's in primary school and we're DL. Named for her grandmother, a"h.

etky

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:32 am
chanchy123 wrote:
It is not super popular a little outdated but still a classic. Two of my three daughters (15 and 8) have a Chana in their class, one of them also has a friend Chana in the neighbourhood. Mostly pronounced with the stress on the second syllable. It’s like Yosef or Moshe but not as popular is David, Sara, or Rachel. Worse comes to worse tack on a more modern second name.

That's what we did Wink
But my DD is actually fine with her name, even though she mostly moves in secular circles now, and even goes with the old-school pronunciation.

chanchy123

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:37 am
etky wrote:
That's what we did Wink
But my DD is actually fine with her name, even though she mostly moves in secular circles now, and even goes with the old-school pronunciation.
DH also has a name like that, his first name is after a grandfather and his parents gave him a more “modern” (I guess to them at the time - it’s not really very modern) he only goes by his first name too.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 11:43 am
chanchy123 wrote:

That's my experience too. I am always one of a few Chanas. My official name is Anna, it is a classic. I am of a Russian origin, but I live in Europe and in my workplace, there are several Annas, a few Annes, Annettes and Annikas.
I don't see how Chana can have a narrow affiliation. It is one of those names that fit everywhere!

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 11:51 am
Rappel wrote:
It's a classic. It can't go out of style.

Btw - I LOVE the name Chana! And I didn't know Henya is Chana!

me neather! I know one Henya though

etky

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 12:02 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
That's my experience too. I am always one of a few Chanas. My official name is Anna, it is a classic. I am of a Russian origin, but I live in Europe and in my workplace, there are several Annas, a few Annes, Annettes and Annikas.
I don't see how Chana can have a narrow affiliation. It is one of those names that fit everywhere!

My mother a"h was Ann and was not given a proper Hebrew name by her parents. She took the name Hanna when she married my father and became Orthodox. Ann Margaret became Hanna Miriam Smile .

etky

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 12:03 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
me neather! I know one Henya though

Neither did I. I also know one DL Henya. It's a very unusual name in our circles.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 2:33 pm
Thank you all so much for your replies! Also I had no idea that people stress the last syllable of Chana in DL circles...so interesting!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 2:38 pm
yonabets wrote:
I think that the Israelies don't like the name Chana .
NOt sure where you see this, but I do not think it is true.

Moon613

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 6:00 pm
Maybe DL is different
But all my MO friends have English names
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names