Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Your unpopular opinions here!
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14  Next

Einikel

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:02 pm
imanonymous wrote:
Perhaps. But would you say they are entitled to take out loans and spiral into debt to keep up with the Joneses? Does that count as "affording" it?

To clarify: by affording I mean cash in the bank. That’s the definition of afford IMO maybe that’s unpopular too😉

tigerwife

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:10 pm
Piggybacking on Einikel’s thought, I think wedding takanos are a sloppy band-aid on the real problem of jealousy and inability to fargin in our community.

hodeez

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:27 pm
Yiddish sounds exactly like German to me and makes me uneasy. Hearing someone say 'nein' gives me some sort of unwarranted PTSD.

imanonymous

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:32 pm

Last edited by imanonymous on Thu, May 06 2021, 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Einikel

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:35 pm
Everyone has the right to live in any public community.

honey36

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:49 pm
Winter is better than summer. Main reason being it is easier to get kids to put on a sweater, boots, hats, and gloves than it is to put on sunscreen. Yes, I know they should really wear sunscreen in the winter also, but if you'd see the "sunscreen battles" that go on in my house during the summer months, you would agree. Let's just say the sunscreen ends up basically everywhere except on the kids.

honey36

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:54 pm
Vacationing in florida during the winter is not fun. Same reason as above.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:02 pm
Einikel wrote:
Everyone is entitled to spend their money in whichever way they enjoy it as long as they can afford it.

I dunno. I dont think this is a Torah value - we have an achrayos to use our gifts responsibly, whether they are singing, acting, dancing or money.

imanonymous

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:47 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I dunno. I dont think this is a Torah value - we have an achrayos to use our gifts responsibly, whether they are singing, acting, dancing or money.

But we don't have the right to criticize others who don't do so, as that usually reeks of jealousy rather than piety. I think that was the point.

Gut

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:37 am
Chayalle wrote:
Shlomo Hamelech disaigrees with you.

I know, I learned it in sem... but I never observed a naturale tendency of znius it in my own life. Not by myself, nor in any girls I met. And also not in my children.
Do I need to accept it as truth even I don't see it?

And so its my unpopular option.

Alternative

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:04 am
Gut wrote:
I know, I learned it in sem... but I never observed a naturale tendency of znius it in my own life. Not by myself, nor in any girls I met. And also not in my children.
Do I need to accept it as truth even I don't see it?

And so its my unpopular option.

I agree. I don't think girls have a natural tendency to be anti-tznuis, but not to be tznuis either.

Just look at how girls dress when given freedom to do what they want. (Not teenage girls who are smitten by the media, just confident women later in life).

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:06 am
There is no such thing as a natural tendency per se because in order to live and develop properly, our brains need to be influenced by our environment.

Alternative

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:08 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
There is no such thing as a natural tendency per se because in order to live and develop properly, our brains need to be influenced by our environment.

You have a point, but then we could never discuss any natural tendency. Are boys different than girls, for example, and how?
But I do agree that much of 'natural tendencies' is environmental.

singleagain

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 12:12 pm
Threads don't get derailed they evolve.

Once you open a thread it is no longer your thread

Java

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 1:00 pm
singleagain wrote:
Threads don't get derailed they evolve.

Once you open a thread it is no longer your thread

Agree. That's why it annoys me so much when OP responds to people by saying 'please stick to the topic' or 'you didn't answer my question' like sorry but that's the way it is

singleagain

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 1:02 pm
bananas4bananas wrote:
Agree. That's why it annoys me so much when OP responds to people by saying 'please stick to the topic' or 'you didn't answer my question' like sorry but that's the way it is

Guess it's not as unpopular opinion as I thought LOL

But yeah this is a conversation forum It's not like a debate / very heavily moderated forum where you can demand people stay on topic

Plonis

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 10:11 pm
The "trendy" dresses of today are literally potato sacks.

chanatron1000

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 10:20 pm
Alternative wrote:
You have a point, but then we could never discuss any natural tendency. Are boys different than girls, for example, and how?
But I do agree that much of 'natural tendencies' is environmental.

Scientists still haven't determined to what extent boys are different from girls.

chanatron1000

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 10:23 pm
The problem is that hypothetically, boys and girls might be the same if they face the exact same environment. But boys and girls are always treated differently. If there were an ethical way to conduct an experiment in which the people who are raising boys and girls do not know the gender of the child, it might be possible to determine it by comparison.

But the fact that the child grows up to be a functioning human at all is the result of his or her interactions with an environment.

GLUE

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:44 am
honey36 wrote:
Winter is better than summer. Main reason being it is easier to get kids to put on a sweater, boots, hats, and gloves than it is to put on sunscreen. Yes, I know they should really wear sunscreen in the winter also, but if you'd see the "sunscreen battles" that go on in my house during the summer months, you would agree. Let's just say the sunscreen ends up basically everywhere except on the kids.

I think sunscreen is unhealthy and do not put it on my kids

Did you try getting a spray and just spraying?
Page 13 of 14   Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics