Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Does Aliza work in DL circles in Israel?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:22 am
Exactly Smile
Oh no etky, I'm pregnant as well, don't know want to know the gender, but thinking Ahuva if it's a girl...is that in the same category as Aliza in Israel? Didn't realize that...(also we are more chareidi now)

Last edited by amother on Thu, Dec 31 2020, 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total

LisaS

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:24 am
Rena is a more traditional "joy" name but not a safta name either if that helps.

etky

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:30 am
sl18 wrote:
Exactly Smile
Oh no etky, I'm pregnant as well, don't know want to know the gender, but thinking Ahuva if it's a girl...is that in the same category as Aliza in Israel? Didn't realize that...(also we are more chareidi now)

B'sha'ah tova!
It might be quite different in haredi circles but in DL circles I would say yes it's in the same category.
So is Rena IMO.

essie14

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:46 am
sl18 wrote:
Exactly Smile

Ahuva is very popular in chareidi circles

Mayflower

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:51 am
This thread is very interesting. I always thought of Aliza as a "modern" name (as in : a name people would give because they find Fraidy too "old-fashioned").

A bit off-topic, but I also find it fascinating how names can be very common in Chareidi circles in Israel, but not so much so outside of Israel. Names like Ronit, Ahuva, Noa (and Aliza) are all names that sound more modern to me but are perfectly acceptable for Chareidim in Israel.

etky

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 6:09 am
Mayflower wrote:
This thread is very interesting. I always thought of Aliza as a "modern" name (as in : a name people would give because they find Fraidy too "old-fashioned").

A bit off-topic, but I also find it fascinating how names can be very common in Chareidi circles in Israel, but not so much so outside of Israel. Names like Ronit, Ahuva, Noa (and Aliza) are all names that sound more modern to me but are perfectly acceptable for Chareidim in Israel.

Funny, cause the only one of these names that is not dated in my circles is Noa (although it's somewhat past its peak too) which ironically is the only one of them that is ancient (from Tanach).

salt

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 6:10 am
Mayflower wrote:

In Israel the charedim usually go with the more traditional older-fashioned names, and in Israel the names you mention are pretty much that (except Noa which has been running in all circles for years)

For a modern name, you would use Ron, Roni, Rinat for example instead of Ronit.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 6:38 am
etky wrote:
B'sha'ah tova!
It might be quite different in haredi circles but in DL circles I would say yes it's in the same category.
So is Rena IMO.

Thanks! I guess at the end of the day, if you love a name, use it! I don't think any of these would get made fun of though, even if they're a bit outdated..

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 7:45 am
AliZa outdated Can't Believe It
Not around here but I don’t live in a dL crowd in Israel...

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 7:47 am
Mayflower wrote:

I find it fascinating, because to me it's evidence that what is anathema to chareidim is not absolute. It changes over time, and in particular, when it has been around long enough becomes acceptable just by virtue of it no longer being new and "modern." In the same way, it has become acceptable over time for girls to learn Tanach inside, to learn Halacha outside, to learn Halacha inside the Kitzur Shulchan Aruch but not in the Shulchan Aruch, to learn from the Shulchan Aruch but not Gemara, as long as it's not inside but printed on sheets, to learn from Gemara as long as it's printed on sheets but not inside. Many years ago, it wasn't acceptable to go to college, then it was acceptable to go as long as it was mostly from seminary credits or in a totally frum environment, then even if seminary credits etc. weren't sufficient, it became okay as long as one was becoming a PT, OT, or ST, etc. etc. Many years ago, it wasn't acceptable to have names that were "mechudash" like Aliza and Tova; then it became acceptable. The secular lead the way, the Modern Orthodox follow a few years later; the chareidim follow several decades after that. (Amother Slategray has made this point about names; I am just pointing out that the phenomenon is not limited to names.)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names