Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Do you extinguish the menorah flames before going to sleep?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you extinguish the flames before going to sleep?
Yes  
 53%  [ 76 ]
No  
 46%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 141

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:07 pm
My DH doesn’t believe in extinguishing the menorah flames and they sometimes still burn in the a.m. I have a fear of it burning all night while we sleep especially since the horrific chanuka fire a few years ago in Flatbush. I’m curious if others do extinguish it.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:09 pm
We do the amount of oil based on how long we want them to burn.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:10 pm
Ours don't last that long. I would not go to sleep with the candles still burning.

Can your Dh use less oil? (Not sure what the halachos are, could be you need to fill it all the way- I'm quite ignorant in this area)

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:13 pm
We don’t and ours also burns through the night. In fact this morning at 11 the erev Shabbos flame was still burning.
P.S. I think of the Azan family every chanuka! Crying Heart

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:28 pm
We do. Bought a candle snuffer for this purpose.

Chloe22

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:30 pm
Mine don't burn through the night and I stay up till they're out. I also don't go to sleep until the Shabbos candles are out.

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:36 pm
Yes I put them out. I would never go to sleep with them lit

DVOM

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:40 pm
We put them out. Too many terrible stories.

maze

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:55 pm
There's no option for other. We buy the 2 hour pre filled oil so that it won't burn too long. You can also fill it halfway or not light too late. It isn't safe to let it burn overnight when you're sleeping.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 9:57 pm
Fill the cups mostly with water and a little oil at the top. It will only burn an hr or so.

DREAMING

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 10:47 pm
We move it to the center of the table (away from window shades...) after the half hour.

challahchallah

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 10:53 pm
We use the 30minute candles for most of ours. The longer burning oil one we light in the fireplace, so it’s safe unattended.

Notsobusy

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 11:46 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Fill the cups mostly with water and a little oil at the top. It will only burn an hr or so.

This is what we do. I would never leave it burning while we're sleeping. I'd be much too scared to go to sleep.

lucky14

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 11:51 pm
Guys this is so so so so so dangerous. Why are they still burning in the morning??? Don't fill them up with so much oil! You can NOT go to sleep with flames burning. I am sure there is some halacha that to put your family in danger you would be able to put them out. But the better solution would be to just not fill with so much oil. Please please don't do this. Speak to a rabbi if you must. One of us is in the room the entire time they are burning. Shabbat candles also- I'm awake until they go out.
We also never leave the house with candles/flames still burning.

btw I accidetally clicked on "no" instead of yes. So you can change the results to one less no and one more yes. But really we don't officially extinguish them since they go out on their own before we go to sleep.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:01 am
We use the pre filled. They last about 2-3 hours. No one is sleeping yet by the time they are finished. If we have to leave the house, yes, we extinguish of course after the required 30 min. I would never leave anything with fire unattended.

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 3:41 am
Halachically there is zero issue with putting them out manually, btw. And as others have said, what in the world are you fueling the menorah with that is burning all night? The prefilled ones I've seen last about 3 hours, and the ones you fill yourself only take a little experience to get a handle on how much oil you need to use.

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 3:44 am
There is no reason why anyone should even have this problem. As others have said, don't use so much oil.

The nes of Chanukah is that 1 cruze of oil lasted 8 days; not that 8 days' worth of oil burns as long as 1 day's worth.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 3:46 am
Ours are on an outdoor window sill on concrete. And they finish before we go to sleep. Lighting here is at like 5pm.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 5:19 am
No.
Humans are G-d's candles/oil lights.
We do not put out light only add to it.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 5:26 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Ours are on an outdoor window sill on concrete. And they finish before we go to sleep. Lighting here is at like 5pm.

Same. I do have to put up a screen to protect them, though. My blind cat sometimes likes to come and go if she feels the window open, and she can't see the flames so she doesn't know that there is danger until she's practically knocking over the menorah. I figured that out on the first night! Surprised

As soon as Chanukah is over, I'm going to find a glass box on sale, and have it for next year. I'll feel much better about it if I end up taking an unexpected nap.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics