Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Do you extinguish the menorah flames before going to sleep?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you extinguish the flames before going to sleep?
Yes  
 53%  [ 76 ]
No  
 46%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 141

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 11:28 am
Sometimes, it just doesn't occur to people and once it's pointed out and they realize, they know to take proper precautions.
I knew personally of two bad situations with Chanukah menorahs from years ago (thankfully nobody died, but in one case a house was burnt down and in the other, a child was seriously injured with burns) so it's always something I've been conscious of. Same with Shabbos candles, when I was 7 or 8, my friend across the street had her hair catch on fire from getting too close. Fortunately, there was a water pitcher already on the set table and her mom was nearby, so it was put out immediately without her getting hurt. These events left an impression on me, so I've always been careful.
But for those who weren't, no need to scold or shame, just bring awareness. That's why a thread like this is a valuable discussion to start.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 11:29 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
How how how are people leaving their menorahs lit after you go to sleep????? This is not a chumrah!!!! Even if it’s on a table - you have no idea exactly how the glass can tip off the menorah and where it will land. The stories over the years are so so so horrific. Hashem does not want you to be doing this.

I cannot believe the poll is almost half and half.

I didnt vote in the poll because we put enough water that it doesnt burn till bedtime. So we don't extinguish the flames but we also don't go to sleep with the menorah burning.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 11:32 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Sometimes, it just doesn't occur to people and once it's pointed out and they realize, they know to take proper precautions.
I knew personally of two bad situations with Chanukah menorahs from years ago (thankfully nobody died, but in one case a house was burnt down and in the other, a child was seriously injured with burns) so it's always something I've been conscious of. Same with Shabbos candles, when I was 7 or 8, my friend across the street had her hair catch on fire from getting too close. Fortunately, there was a water pitcher already on the set table and her mom was nearby, so it was put out immediately without her getting hurt. These events left an impression on me, so I've always been careful.
But for those who weren't, no need to scold or shame, just bring awareness. That's why a thread like this is a valuable discussion to start.

This.

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 11:55 am
A yartzeit candle has a flat base, while the vast majority of shabbos and Chanukah candles are perched on top of a more tip-able holder. That's one reason why yartzeit candles make me less nervous. I also place mine inside a foil pan on my stovetop, so there are several layers of protection from it setting anything on fire. The shape and size of these candles all but guarantees that if it were to tip, it would put itself out. The depth and placement make it extremely unlikely that anything else will get close enough to catch the flame.

If your Chanukah menorah meets all those descriptions, kol hakavod, you're doing a great job on fire safety. But this isn't something I have actually seen, ever.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 12:15 pm
After the half hour is up my husband moves his menorah into the sink or over a large aluminum pan in midst of the dining room table. It’s usually out by the time we go to sleep though. This way kids can freely move/run around.

*sink only works if there are no cabinets over it and also my husbands menorah isn’t tall

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 11 2021, 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

giselle

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 12:26 pm
essie14 wrote:
I move the yarzeit candle to the sink if I have to leave it unattended.

This. Or the middle of the stovetop. And if it’s yt and I have to leave the house, I put it outside so it blows out.

I can’t believe this is a question. I’m literally shocked that people go to sleep with the menorah lit.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 12:35 pm
giselle wrote:
This. Or the middle of the stovetop. And if it’s yt and I have to leave the house, I put it outside so it blows out.

I can’t believe this is a question. I’m literally shocked that people go to sleep with the menorah lit.

It’s when they feel it’s just as safe as your yurtzeit licht on the stove top.

funkyfrummom

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:15 pm
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/1......html

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:24 pm
How many babies had to be the korbanos to teach us not to leave chanukah candles lit unattended? People please!

giselle

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:26 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
It’s when they feel it’s just as safe as your yurtzeit licht on the stove top.

That’s impossible unless your menorah is one flame in a small flat thick glass cup.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:32 pm
giselle wrote:
That’s impossible unless your menorah is one flame in a small flat thick glass cup.

Do you know about those rubbers I’m talking about that make it impossible for the glass to move even a drop?
I honestly feel I’m a very responsible person and would never take any risks at all and yet I felt it’s safe.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:37 pm
Well, let's see. My Chanukiah is in a glass box. The box is on the outside windowsill, between the glass and the window bars, with maybe an inch each side. The cups are wedged into the bottom of the box, and take a certain amount of effort to get out in order to clean them after Chanukah. I really don't see how the box has room to fall over, or how the cups could slip out. Any further safety issues?

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:43 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Well, let's see. My Chanukiah is in a glass box. The box is on the outside windowsill, between the glass and the window bars, with maybe an inch each side. The cups are wedged into the bottom of the box, and take a certain amount of effort to get out in order to clean them after Chanukah. I really don't see how the box has room to fall over, or how the cups could slip out. Any further safety issues?

You gotta love how people are quick to judge and blame you for killing babies because you don’t have their level of anxiety. Obviously always be smart and be safe and don’t rely on Nissim. That’s with pools and car trips and everything else in life. But don’t rush to generalize that if someone keeps their candles burning safely they can’t really be sad for the Azan family. That couldn’t be more ridiculous and judgemental.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:44 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:

If you are asking...very possibly at outdoor breeze could blow dry leaves or debris through the bars and into the top which could ignite and possibly build up a bigger flame that could reach the top and spread.
Not likely but not impossible, either.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:44 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
I didnt vote in the poll because we put enough water that it doesnt burn till bedtime. So we don't extinguish the flames but we also don't go to sleep with the menorah burning.

This
As for comparing tall candlesticks and menorahs to a small metal or glass cup for yartzeit- not the same

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:46 pm
These rubbers are sold wherever glass for candles or oil is sold. It’s a great thing to have. It’s made so the glass should stay firmly in place like glue.

https://I.imgur.com/mMxUXKF.jpg

Last edited by ExtraCredit on Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:46 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
You gotta love how people are quick to judge and blame you for killing babies because you don’t have their level of anxiety. Obviously always be smart and be safe and don’t rely on Nissim. That’s with pools and car trips and everything else in life. But don’t rush to generalize that if someone keeps their candles burning safely they can’t really be sad for the Azan family. That couldn’t be more ridiculous and judgemental.

This is a horrible way to put concern for fellow yidden. I don’t want to cause machlokes, this is uncalled for.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:47 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
This is a horrible way to put concern for fellow yidden. I don’t want to cause machlokes, this is uncalled for.

Read back where I was blamed for not really being sad for the Azans

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:51 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:

Nobody blamed you for not being sad for that family. I commented on how your emoji makes your sadness seem trivial. And even with the family in mind, you left your flame out while you slept. The way your post was worded and illustrated, it seemed lighthearted and flippant.

Don’t fill the cup so high. If you need large glasses because you have a large menorah, fill the cups halfway with water and halfway with olive oil. It’s not such a hard thing to do.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:52 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:

Ok we need to separate the 2, I don’t think that was called for either, but others that are nervous about open flames are not nuts.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics