Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Do you extinguish the menorah flames before going to sleep?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you extinguish the flames before going to sleep?
Yes  
 53%  [ 76 ]
No  
 46%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 141

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:54 pm
watergirl wrote:
Nobody blamed you for not being sad for that family. I commented on how your emoji makes your sadness seem trivial. And even with the family in mind, you left your flame out while you slept. The way your post was worded and illustrated, it seemed lighthearted and flippant.

Don’t fill the cup so high. If you need large glasses because you have a large menorah, fill the cups halfway with water and halfway with olive oil. It’s not such a hard thing to do.

You’re being very judgemental and rude. My emoji expressed exactly how I feel when I think about them. Don’t see where you see that my sentence about them was lighthearted. It’s your own interpretation not based on anything at all. It’s not a contradiction to my belief that I’m being 100% safe with my menorah. I didn’t ask for advice how to fill my cups but thanks.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:56 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Ok we need to separate the 2, I don’t think that was called for either, but others that are nervous about open flames are not nuts.

For sure. Always better to err on the side of caution but those who do it safely are not automatically being irresponsible.

crust

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Do you remember the thread a few years ago where an amother said something caught fire and her son got badly burned extinguishing it to save the home?

Yes....

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:13 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
If you are asking...very possibly at outdoor breeze could blow dry leaves or debris through the bars and into the top which could ignite and possibly build up a bigger flame that could reach the top and spread.
Not likely but not impossible, either.

It's in a glass box. With a top. You open the glass doors to light it. They have a magnetic closure, and a little decorative bolt to keep them closed. Nothing significant could get through the air holes, and any fragments that did would then be contained.

Something similar to this.

http://www.alef-to-tav.com/gla.....090s/

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:17 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
You’re being very judgemental and rude. My emoji expressed exactly how I feel when I think about them. Don’t see where you see that my sentence about them was lighthearted. It’s your own interpretation not based on anything at all. It’s not a contradiction to my belief that I’m being 100% safe with my menorah. I didn’t ask for advice how to fill my cups but thanks.

I cant wrap my mind around your choice. I’ll bow out now.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:23 pm
watergirl wrote:
I cant wrap my mind around your choice. I’ll bow out now.

I can’t wrap my mind around how you blamed me for being lighthearted about the Azans. I guess we should leave the wrapping for gifts and quit wrapping our minds around others.

funkyfrummom

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:26 pm
I whole-heartedly believe that everyone here on ima is truly saddened by the deaths in the Azan family. I don't believe anyone takes it lightly.

There has been a lot of back-and-forth with some posters believing that they are taking the appropriate precautions. I would imagine the Azan family thought they had as well. Obviously, people are not intentionally making decisions that they believe are unsafe. Why would anyone endanger their family? They wouldn't. And that is what is frightening to me when I read this thread.

There's also a lot of discussion about menorahs tipping over and menorahs inside fishtanks and menorah boxes, and other safety precautions. My understanding is that they believe their in the case of the Azan family the fire started because one of the cups cracked from heat. I have actually had that happen to a shabbos candle cup just in an hour or two of burning... people here are talking about flames that are going for many hours and that are obviously quite hot. I just want to mention that.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:35 pm
Right, plus glass can explode if it gets extremely hot. So, if you have an enclosed glass box, and one of the glass candle holders crack, you can't guarantee what will happen.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:38 pm
funkyfrummom wrote:
I whole-heartedly believe that everyone here on ima is truly saddened by the deaths in the Azan family. I don't believe anyone takes it lightly.

There has been a lot of back-and-forth with some posters believing that they are taking the appropriate precautions. I would imagine the Azan family thought they had as well. Obviously, people are not intentionally making decisions that they believe are unsafe. Why would anyone endanger their family? They wouldn't. And that is what is frightening to me when I read this thread.

There's also a lot of discussion about menorahs tipping over and menorahs inside fishtanks and menorah boxes, and other safety precautions. My understanding is that they believe their in the case of the Azan family the fire started because one of the cups cracked from heat. I have actually had that happen to a shabbos candle cup just in an hour or two of burning... people here are talking about flames that are going for many hours and that are obviously quite hot. I just want to mention that.

Thanks for your sensible post.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:45 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Right, plus glass can explode if it gets extremely hot. So, if you have an enclosed glass box, and one of the glass candle holders crack, you can't guarantee what will happen.

Ok, glass cup cracks/explodes. Oil drips down to metal base of box. Wick, possibly still alight potentially follows. Oil drips out of holes in base onto stone window sill. Wick continues burning until oil is consumed or has all dripped out. Next?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:50 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Ok, glass cup cracks/explodes. Oil drips down to metal base of box. Wick, possibly still alight potentially follows. Oil drips out of holes in base onto stone window sill. Wick continues burning until oil is consumed or has all dripped out. Next?

Well possibly entire glass box explodes if it gets extremely hot, and embers fall thru cracks onto debris, or dried leaves lying around, or the wind blows thru the bars.
Then, yes, potential for fire to spread around.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:54 pm
Delete

Last edited by ExtraCredit on Sun, Dec 13 2020, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 2:56 pm
Thank you for starting this thread. It sparked a great discussion and review of our safety protocols, which we are having to revisit especially because of having adopted a pet over the summer. None of our candles burn long enough that we go to bed with anything lit (except yahrzeit).

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 3:02 pm
And, yes, serious fires (both forest and house fires) have started from little things like that. Like the fires in CA this past summer where people died and lost homes. They started from a little party with balloons spreading the fire.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 3:07 pm
Delete

Last edited by ExtraCredit on Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 3:11 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
As are the Shabbos candles in their glass cups. And the Chanukiah in its glass box.

I’ve had neronim glass cup shatter from heat.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 3:22 pm
We don't put in enough oil for the candles to burn that late. Whether it's Shabbat, YT or Chanuka, I don't go to bed until the candles are out, period. On Chanuka weeknights this is easy: once your licht have burned the requisite half hour, you are allowed to extinguish them.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 8:45 am
There was a fire in Toms River last night which was started from a menorah. B"H everyone is fine, but there was a lot of damage to the house. I'm sure they also thought their menorah was safe.

https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 8:59 am
Everyone, please be careful and alert. Space your menorahs away from each other, away from anything hanging, on sturdy trays. Put less oil, use smaller candles.
Make sure the table is not wobbly
Keep children away
Extinguish the flame if you are going away
( yes you are allowed to after a 1/2 hour)

And please- hkbh- keep us all safe

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:13 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
These rubbers are sold wherever glass for candles or oil is sold. It’s a great thing to have. It’s made so the glass should stay firmly in place like glue.

https://I.imgur.com/mMxUXKF.jpg

The rubber secures the glass, but what secures the menorah itself? A few weeks back, I heard a loud bang coming from my dining room. I ran in there to find the glass display that the menorah was resting on had given way and the glass and menorah had tumbled to the floor. What instigated it, I don't know.

With fire, it's always more prudent to take the safest route, even with mitzvahs. I wonder if hiddur mitzvah even applies to situations where we needlessly create some level of danger.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics