Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Do you extinguish the menorah flames before going to sleep?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Do you extinguish the flames before going to sleep?
Yes  
 53%  [ 76 ]
No  
 46%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 141

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:18 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
The rubber secures the glass, but what secures the menorah itself? A few weeks back, I heard a loud bang coming from my dining room. I ran in there to find the glass display that the menorah was resting on had given way and the glass and menorah had tumbled to the floor. What instigated it, I don't know.

With fire, it's always more prudent to take the safest route, even with mitzvahs. I wonder if hiddur mitzvah even applies to situations where we needlessly create some level of danger.

I wonder if it's even considered hidur mitzvah to have the fires burning for so long that there's noone left to see them.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 10:30 am
Notsobusy wrote:
I wonder if it's even considered hidur mitzvah to have the fires burning for so long that there's noone left to see them.

I don't know where you live, but there are people going back and forth past my window long after my candles go out. And, come to that, long after I go to sleep, as well.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:40 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I don't know where you live, but there are people going back and forth past my window long after my candles go out. And, come to that, long after I go to sleep, as well.

Im in a residential neighborhood where most people drive. The streets are pretty empty after 11p and for sure after 1a.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 1:13 pm
I didn't really understand the poll q when I answered and I wonder if others did the same... I never extinguish the flames but we use candles and they go out long before we go to sleep, so I voted no. I doubt there's that many who leave flames burning all night.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 1:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My DH doesn’t believe in extinguishing the menorah flames and they sometimes still burn in the a.m. I have a fear of it burning all night while we sleep especially since the horrific chanuka fire a few years ago in Flatbush. I’m curious if others do extinguish it.

Then you go there and extinguish it yourself. Lehalacha once the first half hour has passed there is no mitzva any longer. If he wants it to stay on he can stay awake with it. Otherwise it cannot be left burning without supervision, sorry. We're venturing into Chasid Shoita territory here.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 3:47 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
How how how are people leaving their menorahs lit after you go to sleep????? This is not a chumrah!!!! Even if it’s on a table - you have no idea exactly how the glass can tip off the menorah and where it will land. The stories over the years are so so so horrific. Hashem does not want you to be doing this.

I cannot believe the poll is almost half and half.

casn't speak for others but I made a mistake in answering. I answered "no" but that's becuase they're not still burning when we go to sleep. we use oil outside and don't fill the cups all the way. the kids under bar/bat mitzvah use those candles that barely last 1/2 hour

4g01o

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 4:04 pm
Voted no because they go out well before we go to bed. My dh puts in water and oil so it doesn't burn for more than about 3 hours.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:16 pm
Yes, I for sure put them out before I go to sleep if still burning.
Please do!

amother
Black

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:50 pm
I remember seeing the footage from the security cameras inside the Azans home, ( think it was theirs, or a different menorah fire, no difference). The glass cracked from heat. The oil & wick spilled over. It caught something flammable in its reach before it went out.

If you put your menorah outdoors encased in non flammable stone & glass, I dont think OP was addressing this set up. Not saying my opinion on this but not really topic at hand.

Inside the home, if someone leaves it unattended and goes to sleep is the real question. And did you ask a shaila or is it because dh thinks that and no one has ever asked a Rav. And why are your candles using such a large amount of oil? Or do you party so late all 8 nights that you only light when you go to bed?
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics