Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Do you buckle baby and toddler in car seat with coat on?
1  2  Next

Do you buckle baby and toddler in car seat with coat on?
Yes  
 49%  [ 65 ]
No  
 50%  [ 66 ]
Total Votes : 131

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:18 am
Or take it off for safety?

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:18 am
No! So dangerous.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:19 am
NEVER!

They make bunting that goes around a car seat, so baby stays warm and won't kick the blanket off.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:20 am
Buckle Me Baby Coat
https://www.buybuybaby.com/sto.....aw.ds

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:21 am
Those options can work for a newborn or a toddler in a not very cold climate. What do you do with a toddler in well below freezing temperatures?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:23 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Those options can work for a newborn or a toddler in a not very cold climate. What do you do with a toddler in well below freezing temperatures?

Prewarm the car. Bring a blanket. Remove the coat in the car that's been warmed and keep baby covered by blanket.

lasagna

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:24 am
I bought my daughter a thin gap coat and bring a thicker coat to school for outdoor play. My baby had bunting arnd the carseat without interfering with the actual seat.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:24 am
I bought my toddler a lightweight down coat so there’s no puff but it keeps him warm getting in and out of the car. Also put on gloves and hat. Got a bundle me that goes over the car seat for the infant.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:25 am
I can’t believe this is a question! Safety first!

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:25 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Prewarm the car. Bring a blanket. Remove the coat in the car that's been warmed and keep baby covered by blanket.

The car door is open when the coat comes on and off. We’re talking frigid here, people send their kids out in snowpants. Right or wrong, I’ve never seen anyone remove a child’s coat where I live.

Zehava

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:27 am
For short rides yes. Long rides no because they get sweaty.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:29 am
I actually prefer to walk the baby to/from daycare in the stroller to avoid the issue. (It’s a 10 min walk/5 min drive+bucking in and out time). For outings by car (to the store or in better times to visit friends/family) she wears a fleece jacket and has a blanket (that we just keep in the car).

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:46 am
Walking or thin coats are not an option in -30 degrees.

Zehava

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 6:54 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Walking or thin coats are not an option in -30 degrees.

Is moving an option?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 7:01 am
I put baby in a fleece jumpsuit that's pretty warm in the car seat. Toddler wears coat to and from the car and we take off to get in car seat. BH I have remote start on my car to prewarm it, but DH does morning daycare dropoff and his car is old, so he goes out to start it before getting her ready to go out. We have a private driveway and the car is behind the house, but my father used to do this with 2 car keys so he could leave one in the ignition and use the other to lock the car. I think you could also have remote starter installed by a mechanic.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 7:02 am
Zehava wrote:
Is moving an option?

Me personally or my entire community?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 7:26 am
My toddler wears his coat. It's not fluffy.
I don't see why it's dangerous, the straps are pretty snug.

miracleshappen

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 7:35 am
Please watch this video of what happens to a child in a puffy coat when they crash. I hope you will think twice before ever considering such a thing

https://www.today.com/video/ca.....57914

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 7:43 am
I never knew that this was an issue. Is this something that was brought to the attention of parents in more recent years? I always bundled my babies in snowsuits and my toddlers in jackets in the car seat. I thought those car seat warmer things were just for convenience. I have kids ranging from toddler to adult and I never knew about this and both my DH and I are very into safety. I feel so clueless about this. Where did everyone get their information about this safety issue? Just curious. The pediatrician had seen my infants in their snowsuits in the infant car seat and they never told me that it was a problem or unsafe. The hospital never mentioned it either when giving car seat instructions.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 7:47 am
Why is it yes safe for older kids and adults to wear coats?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics