Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Do you buckle baby and toddler in car seat with coat on?
Previous  1  2

Do you buckle baby and toddler in car seat with coat on?
Yes  
 49%  [ 65 ]
No  
 50%  [ 66 ]
Total Votes : 131

GLUE

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 11:01 am
In Canada it is agnest the law to were a seat belt if you are driving on the Ice Roads the reason, is if the ice cracks you have an extra few seconds to jump out.

If you live in very cold climate that you can get frost bite if you take of your coat in the car DO NOT TAKE IT OFF. Look at what is the most common thing that is dangerous and use your common cents.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 11:59 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Why is it yes safe for older kids and adults to wear coats?

Because seat belts constrict according to size. No adjustments necessary between people of different sizes. So if a person is being thrown by impact, the belt will constrict more, even pressing the puffiness of the coat, and still hold them down.
Car seat straps need to be adjusted to size beforehand. They won't hold a baby in a puffy coat on impact c"v. When the puffiness gets pressed, the straps become loose and don't help the baby.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:08 pm
Can the straps be tightened with a puffy coat?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:13 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

Car seat straps cannot be tightened enough for impact with a puffy coat.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:14 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

I make the straps pretty tight, I really don't think it's unsafe with a not puffy coat.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:20 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Car seat straps cannot be tightened enough for impact with a puffy coat.

Is it the puffy coat only?
What about a wool jacket?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:31 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

As a general rule, winter coats should not be worn underneath a car seat harness because that can leave the harness too loose to be effective in a crash. Here's a simple way to check whether your child's coat is too big to wear underneath a harness:

Step 1: Put the coat on your child, sit him or her in the car seat and fasten the harness. Tighten the harness until you can no longer pinch any of the webbing with your thumb and forefinger.

Step 2: Without loosening the harness at all, unhook it and remove your child from the car seat. Take the coat off, put your child back in the car seat, and buckle the harness straps, which should be adjusted just as they were when the child was wearing the coat.

If you can pinch the webbing between your thumb and forefinger now, then the coat is too bulky to be worn under the harness.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 2:30 pm
I have 2 drop offs to do before getting to work, aside from getting my other kids out the door. You're lucky if I'm in the car only running 5 minutes late. I don't have time to do things like heat up the car previously or even time to take coats on and off. Besides my old car doesn't have working air con to heat it up and often feels colder inside the car than outside.
All you wonderful imas who are able to be safety conscious-good for you. I'm just surviving here. I can't do more than I do.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 2:51 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Why is it yes safe for older kids and adults to wear coats?

Because car seat harnesses and seat belts function differently

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 2:53 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I have 2 drop offs to do before getting to work, aside from getting my other kids out the door. You're lucky if I'm in the car only running 5 minutes late. I don't have time to do things like heat up the car previously or even time to take coats on and off. Besides my old car doesn't have working air con to heat it up and often feels colder inside the car than outside.
All you wonderful imas who are able to be safety conscious-good for you. I'm just surviving here. I can't do more than I do.

Every car has heat. It’s just running the air over your engine.

I hope for your Children’s sake you never get into a car accident while they are in a presumably expensive car seat that is not being used properly.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 2:54 pm
Zehava wrote:
For short rides yes. Long rides no because they get sweaty.

From a safety perspective, statistically most accidents happen within a few blocks of your house.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 3:25 pm
https://thecarseatlady.com/warmandsafe/

The car seat lady is an amazing resource that explains everything about car seats. She also has guidelines about how to safely keep kids warm in car seats.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 4:50 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
As a general rule, winter coats should not be worn underneath a car seat harness because that can leave the harness too loose to be effective in a crash. Here's a simple way to check whether your child's coat is too big to wear underneath a harness:

Step 1: Put the coat on your child, sit him or her in the car seat and fasten the harness. Tighten the harness until you can no longer pinch any of the webbing with your thumb and forefinger.

Step 2: Without loosening the harness at all, unhook it and remove your child from the car seat. Take the coat off, put your child back in the car seat, and buckle the harness straps, which should be adjusted just as they were when the child was wearing the coat.

If you can pinch the webbing between your thumb and forefinger now, then the coat is too bulky to be worn under the harness.

Thank you
Our kids are grown up and we never thought about this. So now we will have more awareness for when we take our grandkids on trips.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Dec 15 2020, 4:11 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I use flannel. I imagine wool would be fine too. Puffy is the real issue because it compresses.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Dec 15 2020, 4:13 pm
Question I was wondering:
Once kid is in booster seat - is a puffy coat ok?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Dec 15 2020, 4:28 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Question I was wondering:
Once kid is in booster seat - is a puffy coat ok?

Yes. They are now secured with a seat belt like an adult.

Tzips5

Post Tue, Dec 15 2020, 11:56 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
From a safety perspective, statistically most accidents happen within a few blocks of your house.

I never understood this oft-cited statistic. Yes, most accidents happen close to home, but that's because most of the driving is done close to home! I want to know what percentage of fatalities or serious injuries happen on side streets, whether close to home or not. In my mind it's the highways that are so dangerous, due to high speeds and momentum. So maybe I'd be comfortable putting a child in a coat in a car seat for a drive on local streets as opposed to a 5 minute drive on the highway.

deams

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 5:54 am
I can't figure out what to put on my toddler who is rear facing and it is -20 outside. It takes at least 15 minutes to warm up the car just to be able to sit in the vehicle with a coat and it takes 4 minutes from my house to the car. Takes a good 4 minutes to strap him in. That's on a good day when he doesn't make himself flat as a board. Then what do you do when you have appointments and the car is parked 7 minutes from the entrance/exit. How do you get your bigger baby/toddler into the car when you can't even turn it on to warm up the car just a little before hand. Even if I invested (minimum of $600) in a car remote starter I would be to far to use it when I have appointments. I find this stage so hard to figure out at this time of year. Can you help me figure out what should be worn?
I can't run any faster to my car as I also have a child who walks next(who has low muscle tone and can't walk quickly) to the stroller from clinics to car.
The car is never hot or even warm in the winter time, as the older ones are in there warm long down coats. Looking for a practical solution.

lucky14

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 11:03 am
This wont help everyone but for those who it would work for: My little kids wear hats and gloves/mittens and boots and warm clothing and after they are strapped in I either put their coat over their body like a blanket or use an actual blanket.

and btw we all survive the few minutes it takes for the car to heat up (though we live in a climate that is cold in the winter it does not get into the negatives here. I know that makes a difference).

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 11:45 am
deams wrote:
I can't figure out what to put on my toddler who is rear facing and it is -20 outside. It takes at least 15 minutes to warm up the car just to be able to sit in the vehicle with a coat and it takes 4 minutes from my house to the car. Takes a good 4 minutes to strap him in. That's on a good day when he doesn't make himself flat as a board. Then what do you do when you have appointments and the car is parked 7 minutes from the entrance/exit. How do you get your bigger baby/toddler into the car when you can't even turn it on to warm up the car just a little before hand. Even if I invested (minimum of $600) in a car remote starter I would be to far to use it when I have appointments. I find this stage so hard to figure out at this time of year. Can you help me figure out what should be worn?
I can't run any faster to my car as I also have a child who walks next(who has low muscle tone and can't walk quickly) to the stroller from clinics to car.
The car is never hot or even warm in the winter time, as the older ones are in there warm long down coats. Looking for a practical solution.

Have you tried removing ten child’s coat just to strap them in and then putting the coat back on on top of the seat belt harness backwards? Your child will only be out of a coat for the amount of time it takes to get strapped in. And their warm body and warm coat will
Help warm up the seat itself.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics