Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Writing Careers

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 15 2020, 1:24 pm
Anyone here have a career in writing? I'm talking copywriter, copy editor, freelance writer, etc.? Did you need to get a degree? How did you build your portfolio?

amother
Green

Post Tue, Dec 15 2020, 1:36 pm
I'm a magazine editor, and have done long stints of freelance writing (and always have it as a side hustle). It used to be very lucrative, but it no longer is unless you work for very high end clients. One also needs keen copy-editing skills these days, as there are no more copy editors. It's a very different ballgame than it was 20 years ago, but if you're a go-getter and a fast writer you'll have a better chance. Do NOT, under any circumstances, write for ANYONE for free just to get your name out there. I promise you that it won't give you the kind of publicity you're seeking and it's abusive to ask people to do this.

I have a double BA from a well known university, and began my career on staff at a magazine as an assistant editor.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:12 pm
I write books, magazine articles, ghostwrite for private clients and provide editing services. I have a degree in an unrelated field.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:13 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I'm a magazine editor, and have done long stints of freelance writing (and always have it as a side hustle). It used to be very lucrative, but it no longer is unless you work for very high end clients. One also needs keen copy-editing skills these days, as there are no more copy editors. It's a very different ballgame than it was 20 years ago, but if you're a go-getter and a fast writer you'll have a better chance. Do NOT, under any circumstances, write for ANYONE for free just to get your name out there. I promise you that it won't give you the kind of publicity you're seeking and it's abusive to ask people to do this.

I have a double BA from a well known university, and began my career on staff at a magazine as an assistant editor.

How else can you get started?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:24 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
How else can you get started?

You mean instead of writing for free? You can start a blog or newsletter, so you can showcase your talent. I was able to meet other editors at events, and then I'd ask to write for them.

There are writers groups for women on Facebook (one is called Binders) and they have at least a hundred sub-groups for women writers, one for Jewish writers. They all post opportunities and advice constantly.

Genius

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:31 pm
You can market yourself on LinkedIn. There is an abundance of heimisha people in the marketing/writing industries there.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:39 pm
Genius wrote:
You can market yourself on LinkedIn. There is an abundance of heimisha people in the marketing/writing industries there.

I have no experience and no portfolio. I just know that I like to write.

Genius

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have no experience and no portfolio. I just know that I like to write.

It’s worth a shot. People post about copywriting courses there too. So it can be helpful in this sense too

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 4:16 pm
I took Michal Eisikowitz CopyTribe course a while back. Other than that, I have no college degree.I got started organically with leads from friends and grew my business from there.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 4:30 pm
So I hope op is ok with me asking my own related question here ( If not, please let me know I’ll delete it and start my own thread . I seem to think it’s along the same lines of what you’re asking...)
In a writing teacher for close to 20 years . No special degrees . I do lots of proofreading and writing marking. Obviously in a Jewish school I am being paid very little for my expertise... love my job but looking for a way to make some more side money doing this. Is there any room in the Jewish writing market for someone that does this? I am a very solid writer and have excellent grammatical and proofreading skills. Is there any course that I should/could be taking or any way to find p/t or side jobs this way? Thx !

shaqued_almond

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 4:42 pm
I'd say start at the side and take it from there. I'm currently working on my first novel and it's a lot of fun

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:31 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
So I hope op is ok with me asking my own related question here ( If not, please let me know I’ll delete it and start my own thread . I seem to think it’s along the same lines of what you’re asking...)
In a writing teacher for close to 20 years . No special degrees . I do lots of proofreading and writing marking. Obviously in a Jewish school I am being paid very little for my expertise... love my job but looking for a way to make some more side money doing this. Is there any room in the Jewish writing market for someone that does this? I am a very solid writer and have excellent grammatical and proofreading skills. Is there any course that I should/could be taking or any way to find p/t or side jobs this way? Thx !

Just dive in. Sounds like you already have the skills. Join soferet Google group and reply to jobopp posts. Good luck.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:41 pm
seeker wrote:
Just dive in. Sounds like you already have the skills. Join soferet Google group and reply to jobopp posts. Good luck.

Ty! How do I do that?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics