Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Chassidish Imas in Lakewood- let's discuss this
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13 14  15  16  Next

cbsp

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:15 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
It's really not only a Chassidishe problem.

I drive a lot for various reasons, and I don't have the pleasant experience that small bean does, probably because we're driving in different areas. I feel like every time I come home from another drive, I should bentch goimel. Or thank Hashem that nobody got killed. Seriously. It's not just the Chassidim, it's also teen-age boys who are doing a lot of walking (at least in certain neighborhoods) and the amount of near accidents I have witnessed or narrowly avoided would make your jaw drop. Sorry I responded so ho-hum to your post, because for me, this is a mayse shebichol yom.

It's true that Lakewood was not originally built for walkers, but it has been very much built up since then and now it's not very friendly to either walkers OR drivers.

I have no idea what can be done about it, so I'm glad crust is braver than me and trying to change things. I gave up.

Was thinking about this overnight.

The complaint is that Lakewood grew too fast for the infrastructure to keep up.

(and whoever posted that only the USA had places without sidewalks... Ummm, what? Other countries have forests with built in sidewalks? Really? )

I was wondering if the census data will help change some of this mess. Now there will be numbers to demonstrate the need for the infrastructure to support the growth... (that is, if everyone properly filled out their census forms)

Still won't help with crossing a state highway, but it might be the impetus to investigate ways to accommodate the pedestrian traffic...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
My husband is a bus driver in one of the Lakewood Companies.
Bus Companies DO NOT control the snow days.
Their input is relevant, but ultimately it's a joint decision between the LSTA, the police, the township, the BOE and other townships schedules.
I meant the schools aren’t the one who make that decision. I know it takes them several hours to decide so obviously the companies don’t do so on their own. It sounds like they discuss the entire night and then reach a conclusion at 5:30 in the morning. Something like that.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I’ll switch schools for 5th grade. Problem solved Wink

What is Bnos Hadassah's uniform? What type of school is it?

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:22 am
small bean wrote:
I didn't say it's always pleasant to drive, just that I don't mind driving.

We live in different areas so the traffic patterns and conditions are different for us. I used to live near you and I know what the driving can be like. Doesn't take away the fact that I don't mind being in the car.

Amother mistyrose, that sounds like an awesome idea.

I think chayella was talking about one of the really chassidesh schools it was another mother who mentioned meon.

And lastly why would you say aderes is similar to bais kaila other than all the highschools are really the same?

My gripe with lakewood is, why do we have to school today, would be so fun to have a snowday.

They basically are all the same except with small differences in the types of girls. I think with those two schools specifically there can be a lot of crossover.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:26 am
cbsp wrote:
Was thinking about this overnight.

The complaint is that Lakewood grew too fast for the infrastructure to keep up.

(and whoever posted that only the USA had places without sidewalks... Ummm, what? Other countries have forests with built in sidewalks? Really? )

I was wondering if the census data will help change some of this mess. Now there will be numbers to demonstrate the need for the infrastructure to support the growth... (that is, if everyone properly filled out their census forms)

Still won't help with crossing a state highway, but it might be the impetus to investigate ways to accommodate the pedestrian traffic...

If there were no houses, there would be no issue. But seems people live there, hence they need to cross the road. Country roads where I live don't have sidewalks, but once it becomes built up they have sidewalks. Its also the attitude that people HAVE to have a car to live.

Europe is not only tall apartment buildings. Have you ever even been here? I live in a semi suburban area, mostly houses with gardens, lots of sidewalks.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:26 am
crust wrote:
I'm sure I am not the first one. I'm sure someone asked already.
I want to know if anything is being done.

Ps. Many sidewalks and red lights in heavily populated areas were only approved once there were a certain amount of casualties.

Beyond sad.

I didn't read thru this entire thread. Just wanted to add my comment as an old Lakewooder who doesn't drive. Yes, it's extremely challenging not to drive in Lakewood, which is why so many learn to drive. Like others mentioned, Lakewood used to be a lot smaller, pretty much walk-able with sidewalks from one end to the next with much less stores and hasagos. Having women cross the 70 is dangerous and not normal. No, it doesn't make sense. However, you have Yankel's grocery by Belz and most stores deliver. Also, the chassidish women mostly don't work outside the home and really make their way around Lakewood with either rides, car services, or like others mentioned, the L bus. It's actually a lot easier now with local car services, which we didn't have just a few years ago, besides Uber/Lyft.

Chaya123

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:27 am
Crookshanks wrote:
What is Bnos Hadassah's uniform? What type of school is it?

gray jumper/skirt, pink blouse. It's heimishe/yeshivish.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:29 am
Raisin wrote:
If there were no houses, there would be no issue. But seems people live there, hence they need to cross the road. Country roads where I live don't have sidewalks, but once it becomes built up they have sidewalks. Its also the attitude that people HAVE to have a car to live.

Europe is not only tall apartment buildings. Have you ever even been here? I live in a semi suburban area, mostly houses with gardens, lots of sidewalks.

The houses have sidewalks. It's when people want to walk across a main highway that there's a problem.

They can walk all they want around their own houses. There's plenty of room to walk and plenty of sidewalks. It's when you want to get somewhere else - and have to cross a highway to get there - that it becomes a problem.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:29 am
Chaya123 wrote:
gray jumper/skirt, pink blouse. It's heimishe/yeshivish.

Aw that's cute

cbsp

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:32 am
Raisin wrote:

Have you been to Lakewood?

For the most part, the areas being discussed were once upon a time forests that were knocked down to create a development. Within the development there are sidewalks. These are people who now want to walk to the neighboring development (a mile away) or shopping area (also in areas that used to be forests) but are separated by a high speed highway.

small bean

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:40 am
Crookshanks wrote:
They basically are all the same except with small differences in the types of girls. I think with those two schools specifically there can be a lot of crossover.

My personal opinion is they are all the same, doesn't matter really where you go as long as you make a good group of friends.

But my daughters school told me to apply aderes and oros. I asked what about BK, and they told me not to apply there. I personally like BK as it's just normal but her pricipals didn't think my daughter would love it. So funny to hear you say, it's similar to aderes.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:42 am
I think building self contained developments and cul de sacs is a big part of the problem. Why should someone have to go on the 9 to get from chateau park to sterling forest - there should be roads that intersect and connect that area. It would also mitigate traffic if there were more through streets and a grid.but each family would rather live in a quiet cul de sac with few cars so it continues.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:46 am
small bean wrote:
My personal opinion is they are all the same, doesn't matter really where you go as long as you make a good group of friends.

But my daughters school told me to apply aderes and oros. I asked what about BK, and they told me not to apply there. I personally like BK as it's just normal but her pricipals didn't think my daughter would love it. So funny to hear you say, it's similar to aderes.

I have a relative who wants to send her DD to Aderes or BK. She doesn't want to apply to Oros because she's afraid she would get in and not get into one of her choices. So she's gonna apply to two other schools that will likely not take her, in order to ensure she gets into her choices.

So really they are all the same, some people have their peeves about one or another. Your principal likes Oros for whatever reason.

small bean

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:53 am
Chayalle wrote:
I have a relative who wants to send her DD to Aderes or BK. She doesn't want to apply to Oros because she's afraid she would get in and not get into one of her choices. So she's gonna apply to two other schools that will likely not take her, in order to ensure she gets into her choices.

So really they are all the same, some people have their peeves about one or another. Your principal likes Oros for whatever reason.

What does she like about those 2 schools and not oros, just curious.

I'm just following what the school says cuz I don't think it matters much. If my daughter gets into any of the schools in lakewood, I'd be fine with it. I'm really not nixing any of them.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:56 am
small bean wrote:

I'm just following what the school says cuz I don't think it matters much. If my daughter gets into any of the schools in lakewood, I'd be fine with it. I'm really not nixing any of them.

I can p.m. you.

sweet

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 12:01 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I didn't read thru this entire thread. Just wanted to add my comment as an old Lakewooder who doesn't drive. Yes, it's extremely challenging not to drive in Lakewood, which is why so many learn to drive. Like others mentioned, Lakewood used to be a lot smaller, pretty much walk-able with sidewalks from one end to the next with much less stores and hasagos. Having women cross the 70 is dangerous and not normal. No, it doesn't make sense. However, you have Yankel's grocery by Belz and most stores deliver. Also, the chassidish women mostly don't work outside the home and really make their way around Lakewood with either rides, car services, or like others mentioned, the L bus. It's actually a lot easier now with local car services, which we didn't have just a few years ago, besides Uber/Lyft.

Firstly Yankels the grocery store closed down a yr ago.

Amd my relative lived near belz right off the 70 and yes she does walk there and she needs to wait for her childrens school bus on the shoulder of the 70 - they dont want to come in to her small development.
(I did tell her to give the driver$$..)

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 12:11 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I didn't read thru this entire thread. Just wanted to add my comment as an old Lakewooder who doesn't drive. Yes, it's extremely challenging not to drive in Lakewood, which is why so many learn to drive. Like others mentioned, Lakewood used to be a lot smaller, pretty much walk-able with sidewalks from one end to the next with much less stores and hasagos. Having women cross the 70 is dangerous and not normal. No, it doesn't make sense. , you have Yankel's grocery by Belz and most stores deliver. Also, the chassidish women mostly don't work outside the home and really make their way around Lakewood with either rides, car services, or like others mentioned, the L bus. It's actually a lot easier now with local car services, which we didn't have just a few years ago, besides Uber/Lyft.

Yankees is already Zichrono livruche. Closest grocery is Gourmet glatt in seagull square, and while we don't have to cross the 70 to get there, we do have to walk on the side of the 70 to get to the 9, which we do have to cross.
And minimum delivery amount in $75 and only till 5.00
If I need something urgent, I have to walk

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 12:12 pm
small bean wrote:

I’d stay away from oros.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 12:14 pm
Why??? My daughter wants oros and aderes!! What’s the problem with oros??

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 12:17 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Why??? My daughter wants oros and aderes!! What’s the problem with oros??

I would pm you but we are both anonymous 😬
Page 13 of 16   Previous  1  2  3 12  13 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries