Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Urgent: Can you travel to Israel with two months on passport
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 2:49 pm
Hi,

We live in Israel, but we're not citizens, we're here on student visas.

We hope to travel abroad soon for a wedding and I realized that my son's passport is expiring less than two months after the date we plan to return.

Will this be an issue?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 2:50 pm
You need to contact the embassy NOW. There can be a two to three month wait just to get an appointment. All the Covid closures have slowed down application processing, and there's no real estimate about how long it will take.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 2:52 pm
Yes. We had an issue. Although it was 5 yrs ago. The timeframe is even smaller for minors.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 2:56 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Yes. We had an issue. Although it was 5 yrs ago. The timeframe is even smaller for minors.

You weren't allowed to fly?

He will be turning 5 soon.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 2:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You weren't allowed to fly?

He will be turning 5 soon.

We didn't even try. We went and expedited a new passport. We were told that getting on the plane might be fine but then getting out of the airport and into the country would be a different issue.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 3:17 pm
avrahamama wrote:
We didn't even try. We went and expedited a new passport. We were told that getting on the plane might be fine but then getting out of the airport and into the country would be a different issue.

Does anyone know if the fact we have visas make it any different?

avrahamama

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 3:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I calledy airline (el al) and they were able to help me figure it out. It might be worth it to call and see if they can direct you to better information.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 3:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Contact the embassy. If you live in Israel you might be able to get back in on a visa.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 3:29 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Contact the embassy. If you live in Israel you might be able to get back in on a visa.

If you need answer right now you can call american number. Still business hours here.

#Happymom

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 3:31 pm
Call chaim v chessed.
They'll know

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 4:52 pm
If its american passport this is the state departments website.

banana123

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 4:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ordinarily I'd think that it would. Now with corona, they're not allowing anyone who isn't Israeli into the country. And that includes people who hold some types of visas.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 4:59 pm
banana123 wrote:
Ordinarily I'd think that it would. Now with corona, they're not allowing anyone who isn't Israeli into the country. And that includes people who hold some types of visas.

We're eligible to get permits to return. Though you're actually making me realize that if they give the permit then they've authorized him to come in to the country regardless of passport status, so that might make it even easier. (unless I guess, they decide NOT to issue a permit because of it.)

I guess will speak to Chaim V'Chessed tomorrow and see what they say. I sent an email though was after hours already.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 5:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,

We live in Israel, but we're not citizens, we're here on student visas.

We hope to travel abroad soon for a wedding and I realized that my son's passport is expiring less than two months after the date we plan to return.

Will this be an issue?

Yes. A few years ago I was returning to Israel, and my UK passport was due to expire in less than three months. They wouldn't let me on the plane until I produced my Israeli passport and explained that I would be entering Israel using that.

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 5:47 pm
This February my husband and I were supposed to go on vacation but when we got to the airport, they wouldn't let us on because his passport expired in less than 90 days (he told me the night before and was like "huh I hope this won't be an issue" Banging head There was nothing to do at that point except hope for the best). We were seriously there with all our suitcases ready to go and had to turn around and go right back home. Now we laugh about it but at the time it was traumatic. So sorry haha I know that's not helpful for your specific situation but hopefully it can be a PSA for other imas here!

nanny24/7

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 1:50 pm
I was under the impression Israel is only letting adults into the country on student visas. So unless your 4 year old got a full Israeli citizenship and Israeli passport he wouldn't be allowed back into Israel regardless of when his foreign passport expires or not.
I never heard of any children allowed into Israel since Corona started, unless they are full fledged Israeli citizens with up to date Israeli passports.
Does your child have a student visa?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 1:53 pm
nanny24/7 wrote:
I was under the impression Israel is only letting adults into the country on student visas. So unless your 4 year old got a full Israeli citizenship and Israeli passport he wouldn't be allowed back into Israel regardless of when his foreign passport expires or not.
I never heard of any children allowed into Israel since Corona started, unless they are full fledged Israeli citizens with up to date Israeli passports.
Does your child have a student visa?

We are all dependants on dh's student visa and they're issuing permits for that as well.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 2:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're eligible to get permits to return. Though you're actually making me realize that if they give the permit then they've authorized him to come in to the country regardless of passport status, so that might make it even easier. (unless I guess, they decide NOT to issue a permit because of it.)

I guess will speak to Chaim V'Chessed tomorrow and see what they say. I sent an email though was after hours already.

The permit and passport are 2 separate issues. You can have a permit and the airline can still refuse to let you fly due to expiring passport.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 2:52 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
You need to contact the embassy NOW. There can be a two to three month wait just to get an appointment. All the Covid closures have slowed down application processing, and there's no real estimate about how long it will take.

I contacted them last week and received an appointment for the end of March (Tel Aviv). Jerusalem's calendar is fully booked or not yet open for booking, and they have not responded to my email.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 2:54 pm
We spoke to Chaim V'chessed today and they said it wouldn't be a problem, I think because we have visas. I'm still nervous though, so I guess we'll try and check with others as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions