Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o last question u asked your Rav
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 5:55 pm
Whether Bailey’s purchased in the US was kosher. We hold it is Cheers

sweetbee

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 6:42 pm
Why exactly Chabad minhag is to say the bracha over the Hanukkah lights without "shel"
And some advice about whether or not some particular music was alright to listen to

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 7:07 pm
cnc wrote:
I would love to meet the person that asks their Rav - which brand of tissues to use .

I was clearly exaggerating, but I meant those people who can't make a decision without asking their Rav. That's not how Hashem created the world. One of the things that really bugged me in the other thread was that people said that they'd rather the achrayus be on their Rav's head than on their own. Your Rav is not a substitute for your own agency and responsibility in your life, notwithstanding the warped hashkafa that has brought so many to that conclusion.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 7:10 pm
So... my husband suggested I use the ocean as a mikvah since my family is in quarantine?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 7:10 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I was clearly exaggerating, but I meant those people who can't make a decision without asking their Rav. That's not how Hashem created the world. One of the things that really bugged me in the other thread was that people said that they'd rather the achrayus be on their Rav's head than on their own. Your Rav is not a substitute for your own agency and responsibility in your life, notwithstanding the warped hashkafa that has brought so many to that conclusion.

My Rav is my mentor, my Rebbe, my guide. I'm lucky to have him. He is older and wiser and has helped me tremendously. It's a plus, not a minus.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 7:13 pm
I don’t remember but I will need to ask about when to cut our sons hair since he was born during the three weeks.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 7:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My Rav is my mentor, my Rebbe, my guide. I'm lucky to have him. He is older and wiser and has helped me tremendously. It's a plus, not a minus.

Do what works for you. Just know that up there, when you're asked about fulfilling your potential, saying "My Rav told me..." isn't going to be a catch-all shield if it was a question you should have decided on your own. And you should have the agency and seichel to know that. I'm not talking about halacha.

שאל עצה ועשה כשכלך - Nefesh HaChaim

paperflowers

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 7:37 pm
If I can give extra prizes to my students before their holidays

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 7:40 pm
I asked him about the area he lived in when he lived in Israel.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 7:43 pm
I’m the OP from the asking rav about BC thread. The last question that we asked our rav was at what point during labor do we become nida. He said when my water breaks or I’m on the hospital bed. Whichever one happens first...

Still waiting for one of those to happen Tongue Out

amother
Green

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 7:47 pm

Where I live its very popular way to lead your life by asking literally every random thing to your Rav. its one of DH's pet peeves. he goes crazy when I repeat to him things my friends tell me they or their husbands ask a rav.

most recent one...which frum place/shop is most reliable to buy a car from...!!

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 7:54 pm
We asked about how to make a succah kosher when we wnet away.
About fasting yom kippur pregnant.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:13 pm
Do what works for you. Just know that up there, when you're asked about fulfilling your potential, saying "My Rav told me..." isn't going to be a catch-all shield if it was a question you should have decided on your own. And you should have the agency and seichel to know that. I'm not talking about halacha.

שאל עצה ועשה כשכלך - Nefesh HaChaim

I'm not even sure what scenario you are referring to.

GOD "Leah, you have not become who you could have become. Instead of learning and teaching Torah you read secular books, watched secular movies"

Leah "but my Rav said it was ok"

???

This is ludicrous.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:17 pm
I asked if I could tovel something in the snow.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:19 pm
Wasn’t a shaila, more shoel eitzah....

Deciding between two houses- reviewed pros and cons of both and the impact either may have on our lives and families (location etc)

We weren’t looking for a psak per se, but yes, we do believe the Rav’s life experience and knowledge in Torah would help frame and guide us in making a decision.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not even sure what scenario you are referring to.

GOD "Leah, you have not become who you could have become. Instead of learning and teaching Torah you read secular books, watched secular movies"

Leah "but my Rav said it was ok"

???

This is ludicrous.

I did not do xyz because my Rav told me not to, even though I knew that it was best for me. As a result, I hurt my family and my life. My Rav does not have my binah yeseirah when it comes to my family, and therefore, he is not the appropriate person to ask advice on this issue. (Whether it is parenting, physical or emotional health, marriage, etc.)

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:21 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I asked if I could tovel something in the snow.

We did for our new china a few years ago...I think it was around pesach also

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Where I live its very popular way to lead your life by asking literally every random thing to your Rav. its one of DH's pet peeves. he goes crazy when I repeat to him things my friends tell me they or their husbands ask a rav.

most recent one...which frum place/shop is most reliable to buy a car from...!!

Exactly, this is my point.

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:22 pm
I did not do xyz because my Rav told me not to, even though I knew that it was best for me. As a result, I hurt my family and my life. My Rav does not have my binah yeseirah when it comes to my family, and therefore, he is not the appropriate person to ask advice on this issue. (Whether it is parenting, physical or emotional health, marriage, etc.)

Here's the question I think that this is being posed. If you know it's not best for you and if the rough does not have your Bina yesera, And you say he's not the appropriate person to ask why would you ask

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:33 pm
I am an RN. In the early days of COVID, I was unemployed. I asked if I should look to take a job in a hospital, likely helping save lives in a very real way, but putting myself in a place of safek sakana. Or stay home and take care of my children in lockdown, at a time when other childcare arrangements would have been extremely difficult, but suffer financially and waste my (relevant to COVID care) skills.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics