Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S/o careers for mothers
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:08 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
But the most important thing would be for you to know where your talents and interests lie. You don't want to spend lots of money and years of your life training for a career that's totally not your speed.

I'm doing nursing because I have a passion for medicine and want to do work that will help people. I could NEVER be an accountant much as I think it would match my lifestyle. I'd be miserable

You’re right, that’s why I’m trying to get some ideas before jumping headfirst into a career.
I already trained in a field for a few years, but it’s a very competitive field and I’m not sure I want to always be competing for the jobs. I just want to have a job that I can go do every day. Sounds boring but I guess that’s what I want:)
I wouldn’t be able to be an accountant either.
I like working with people. I have never been a gory person at all, so that definitely worries me a lot, but I love science so I’m thinking I should head in that direction. I’m also worried about stamina, I’m also a night person but I get tired after being on my feet a long time.
Are you concerned about leaving your family during school and at night while working?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:13 pm
The last two years of school will be tough but it's an investment in my and my family's future.

I'm actually looking forward to being able to work nights. Those are my good hours and I'll be able to be there for my kids. But nothing is set in stone. If it doesn't work I can always work a day shift. If I have a hard time with the long hours I can always work in a clinical setting. There are also lots of opportunities for desk jobs for nurses if that's something you prefer

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:25 pm
I'm a speech therapist in lakewood.... I do early intervention which goes through an agency. So I get to make my own hours but I'm not having to compete to get clients so I like that.

lovingmommy3417

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 10:45 pm
Goldenrod I am also starting nursing school next semester! So excited!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 10:52 pm
lovingmommy3417 wrote:

Which school are you going through? Yeah really exciting!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 10:58 pm
lovingmommy3417 wrote:

What school are you doing it with?
It’s nice to hear that nursing has options for people to work in different settings...anyone know if part time jobs are easy to come by?
And most importantly, how do you know that you will like nursing? This may sound dumb but how do I figure out if I would be interested in it? I don’t know any nurses Confused

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 10:59 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I'm a speech therapist in lakewood.... I do early intervention which goes through an agency. So I get to make my own hours but I'm not having to compete to get clients so I like that.

Wow that’s great! I’ve been hearing the speech therapy field is flooded in lakewood and new therapists can’t find jobs:(

lovingmommy3417

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What school are you doing it with?
It’s nice to hear that nursing has options for people to work in different settings...anyone know if part time jobs are easy to come by?
And most importantly, how do you know that you will like nursing? This may sound dumb but how do I figure out if I would be interested in it? I don’t know any nurses Confused

My local community college has a good program. I think it's harder to part time starting off but there are always part time jobs. There is never a shortage of nurses.
Maybe look into what it entails first. I always knew I wanted to do something in healthcare and I want to do something that will help people. You could start off getting a CNA or medical assistant license to see if you are interested. They take a few months generally.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:24 pm
In Lakewood there is a shortage of people who repair bikes. My mother fixes bikes and people give her their old bikes were she fixes and sells. It is a good job to do when you have kids.

Do you like sewing? I hear that people are always looking for a good seamstress.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for these ideas! Graphic and interior design I’m worried may be very competitive
if you work for a firm, you have set hours and you don’t need to find your own clients or deal with the business end of things.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 12:31 am
I’m a speech therapist. I think it’s the perfect career for mothers. There are many different populations that you can work with in a variety of settings. You can easily find jobs that are part time, full time, extremely part time like 4 hours a week or even PRN which means that you are you’re own boss. You can also work from home. I’ve done various things but with covid Im currently working PRN with a home health agency. Which basically means that I can accept or decline patients and decide when I want to takeoff and for how long. I also schedule my visits directly with the patients so I can schedule them around my other obligations. Down side is that as a PRN worker they don’t guarantee you work so sometimes I’m very busy, but sometimes I don’t have any work. On the other hand the pay is great so it’s worth it for me to do even one or two visits a week.

queen esther

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 1:51 am
*Okay this got really long!*

I'm a nurse, I work part time in an office setting. I actually work only on the phone and don't even see patients in person. That part I don't love, but I chose this job for the hours, and other reasons, it's all while my kids are in school. BUT it took me 8 yrs before I found this job, and I previously worked in a nursing home and did home care. Nursing is great because there are so many options where you can use your degree and they are all so different, but I think the traditional shifts are not so mother friendly. It can be managed and worked out with a willing available husband or hired help and there are perks to a shift schedule like days off, but I can't imagine finding someone else to get my kids up and off to school in the morning if I have to work at 7- my husband needs to be out early for his job. And evening shift means I don't see kids all day, night could work easier but again depends how early husband needs to leave... And it's not a picnic to have to sleep in the day, and only some days a week. Of course, there are many nurses who do work these schedules and have figured out how it works for their families and maybe they'll chime in. When I worked day and evening shift I only had one baby and my husband wasn't as busy out of house as he is now.
Just trying to point out that as flexible as nursing is, some aspects are really not so I always wonder about this when people talk about nursing as a good option for moms.
About the field in general- I think the poster who said check out CNA program had a good idea, as a nurse you may or may not be doing those tasks bc there are so many different sub-fields but as a student you probably will, and it's good to know if you're okay with that as a starting point. Some of nursing is very unglamorous and "messy"- blood and body fluids and wounds etc, some is "cleaner" if you are outpatient, there's surgery and dialysis and pediatric office and nursing home and ER and L and D and plenty more and they're so different.... But a desire to help people, being able to deal with the physical and emotional stuff involved, and interest in and grasp of science and medicine are at the core everywhere I think.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 2:00 am
Hi!

Another nurse here! I would def reccomend the job. Nursing has so many different fields you're almost sure to find your niche somewhere. There's medical, geriatric, pediatric, labor delivery, mother baby, psychiatric, rehab. In the hospital you work 3 12 hour shifts a week. Part time is 2 12 hour shifts and contingent is 2-4 12 hour shifts a month. There's also plenty of other places like clinics, urgent cares, nursing homes that have 8 hour shifts. You can also do school/camp nursing.

Nursing is hard. HARD. Many nurses working shifts on medical floors in hospitals get burnt out and don't enjoy their jobs. It is still good to start there to gain experience and confidence in your knowledge and skills. Consider it payed schooling. Then move on to what interests you.

The pay is very decent and stable. There are always jobs for nurses. In the tri-state area I think you start at about 75-80k and goes about to 100kish. In the Midwest it's more like 60k going up to 80kish. It goes up pretty fast but then you're capped.

NP is another 2 years schooling part time with many online programs. Or you can do it slower if you need.

About night shifts: pros: home for kids all the time, no worries about carpool, babysitters, kids getting sick... You also get payed more, it's also more chilled at night. Cons: it takes a toll on your body.

If you have any more questions ask here. I'm happy to answer. Although it's not all roses I love my job, feel great that I'm helping ppl, I'm making decent money (especially with covid pay) and there's potential for much more, and I'm there for my family every morning and every day when they get home from school:)

queen esther

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 2:23 am
Lime amother, I like your post! Lots of good realistic nursing info on there
I'm curious, do you mind sharing what kind of nursing you do that keeps you seeing kids before and after school each day? I love hearing what other nurses do. Sorry OP if this is derailing a bit, but it can give you ideas so it's not really off topic.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 2:36 am
queen esther wrote:
Lime amother, I like your post! Lots of good realistic nursing info on there
I'm curious, do you mind sharing what kind of nursing you do that keeps you seeing kids before and after school each day? I love hearing what other nurses do. Sorry OP if this is derailing a bit, but it can give you ideas so it's not really off topic.

I work hospital shift work. 7-7:30. You can clock out earlier if you're done giving report. I'm usually home about 7:35-7:45. Kids leave between 8:10 and 8:30. Kids get home at 4:30 I leave to work 6:20. We do dinner, homework and dh does bedtime after I leave.

curlyhead

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 2:13 am
Virtual assistant/ freelancer
You don't need a degree. A short course will be helpful. You can make a decent income especially if you niche down and choose your own hours. Today my kids had off so in did a few hours work then took them out and will do more work in the evening! You choose your hours and can work if kids are home sick etc

Makehumusnotwar

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 7:10 am
Although the field is currently quite flooded, I still believe that programming/coding/software development is a good option for mommies. Most women still believe that they are not suited or don't have the aptitude for a career in high-tech but I think this is false.

Web design especially can be done remotely and on a freelance basis, and if you are able to really niche down you can make a good living.

momomany

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 9:06 am
queen esther and lime said it all regarding the job satisfaction (pro!), flexibility and also the difficulty of being an RN. I do need to work so I feel really lucky to be in a job that I absolutely love (night shift L&D) with some flexibility and the ability to be with my children before and after they are at school. Working F/T and mothering a family is a challenge no matter what your job is, so try and find a job you love to sweeten the challenge.

elisabeth

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 12:10 pm
This may seem a bit naive, but at the end of the day you spend a LOT of time at work (even at a part-time job) and it's really important that you enjoy your job and that it's a good fit. I'm an attorney and while I wouldn't necessarily emphasize law as a family-friendly field, I absolutely love my job and am happy to start again every Monday. I also have a very flexible schedule as legal jobs go.

miami85

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 12:31 pm
Nothing that makes a lot of money is "easy". You get paid more if you are unique in what you do or what you have to offer and people want that service.
But the reality is that the working world is not designed for having kids.

I have a career that I'm good at, I don't make a TON but I have an above average salary for where I live. I have relied on a loop-hole during the pandemic to make it work for me, though it's not been 100% l'chatchila--but as they say "in French" "ain breira"--there has been no "GOOD" solution to anything.

It's not a career that I would recommend to most people unless they too are very good at it and really want to do it.

But the most "depressing" feeling is feeling "not essential". My role was paid but not doing "my job" during the spring part of the pandemic and then the fall part I was "working" but my role of a mother was practically impossible. It was frustrating.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics