Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Mazel Fortune Cookies

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:33 am
I did a small batch of these as a test run so see if my clumsy fingers could manage as I thought they might be fun for MM or as the notes indicate for any kind of special gathering.

For gifting MM the Chinese takeout containers are widely available on the internet and the pairing has many possibilities.

Creating the messages would probably be a fun project for kids to be involved with.

The cookbook has some recipes that really look good. The Pesach section especially has some recipes that I haven't seen elsewhere and I am definitely going to put it to use as I can send some around or even mail to people. I will post a list of the Pesach recipes below in case anyone is interested in one of them.

The recipe seems more formidable than it actually is - you do need to work quickly while the cookie is hot and it can be shaped easily - but the actual shaping is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

MAZEL COOKIES (FORTUNE COOKIES)

Excerpt From: Paula Shoyer - The Holiday Kosher Baker

Makes 18 to 22

These fortune cookies are really fun to make. You can put any message you like inside—a note from you and your family, a simple chag sameach (happy holiday) greeting, or a blessing. At your Purim seudah (festive meal), a cookie can be used as a place card holder—with the name popping out—or it can be filled with a special or funny message for each guest. I would advise making just two cookies at a time in the first batch, so you learn how to fold them, and then make no more than four to six cookies at a time so they do not harden before you can fold them properly. If you have tight-fitting plastic gloves, they will protect your fingertips as you shape the hot cookies. To lift the cookies off the pan, you will definitely want to use a wide metal flat-blade spatula—like the ones used to plaster walls. I’ve also included a dark chocolate variation for this recipe, below.

2 large egg whites
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon (113g) sugar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange juice
3 tablespoons canola oil
½ cup (65g) all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt

PREHEAT OVEN to 375°F (190°C). Cover a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or grease the cookie sheet with a little spray oil. You can also use parchment paper that is greased with a little canola oil. You will need a glass bowl, a measuring cup, or a mug for shaping the cookies over the rim and a muffin pan to help them hold their shape. Cut out about sixteen small typed or handwritten notes to put in the cookies.

PUT THE EGG WHITES and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium-low speed for one minute, or until creamy. Add the vanilla, orange juice, and oil and mix again until combined. Add the flour and salt and mix well until you have a creamy batter, scraping down the bowl to incorporate all of the flour.

SCOOP UP two heaping teaspoons of batter and place them on the prepared cookie sheet. Repeat, spacing each little pile of batter at least four inches (10cm) apart. It is more efficient, however, to scoop up and drop four piles of batter one after the other onto the cookie sheet. Use the back of a measuring spoon or a teaspoon to swirl and spread the batter into a 3½-inch (9-cm) wide circular cookie.

BAKE the cookies for 7 to 8 minutes, or until they are browned from about half an-inch (1.25-cm) in from the outside edge. Remove the cookies from the oven. You will need to work quickly. Use a metal spatula to lift a cookie off the pan (removing the darker ones first) and turn it over onto the counter. Place a note in the center. Working quickly, fold the cookie in half so the browned edges meet and then with the browned edges facing up, bend the middle of the cookie over the rim of the bowl or cup. Count to five. Place the cookie on its side into the muffin cup and quickly repeat with the other baked cookies on the tray —and with the other batches.

STORE THE COOKIES in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days or freeze them for up to three months

Dark Chocolate Variation

Substitute:

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract for the ½ teaspoon vanilla and 2 teaspoons orange juice
⅓ cup (40g) all-purpose flour plus 3 tablespoons dark cocoa for the ½ cup of flour

HERE’S AN EASY WAY to tell when the chocolate cookies are done: When you press the top after about 8 minutes of baking, no batter should get on your fingers and the cookie should feel a little rubbery.

SILICONE MAT WORKS BEST

This is a recipe where a silicone baking mat (a Silpat) works better than either parchment paper or a greased baking pan. Using a Silpat helps you spread the batter faster, facilitates lifting the cookies off the pan, and makes the cookies a little cooler so they are easier to handle and shape.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:35 am
Passover Snacks

Farfel Cookies
Chocolate Chip, Pistachio, Cranberry, and Hazelnut Biscotti
Pistachio Cookies
Brownies
Mexican Chocolate Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Fruit Pie Bars
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Carrot Cake
Nut Crumb Cake
Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes
Financiers Muffins (Mini Almond Muffins)
Marble Chocolate Chunk and Cinnamon Meringues
Chocolate Caramel Matzoh Sandwich Cookies
Chocolate Candies
Rosemary Nut Brittle
Dried Fruit and Nut Candies
Fruit Crisp
Whole-Wheat Fruit and Nut Granola

Desserts for Passover Entertaining

Florentine Bars
Black and White Cookies
Vanilla Cupcakes
Chocolate Chip Sponge Bundt
Low-Sugar Chocolate Almond Cake
Never Fail Sponge Cake
Lemon Layer Cake
Strawberry Monaco
Flourless Chocolate Amaretti Cake
Key Lime Pie
Lemon Tart with Basil Nut Crust
Chocolate and Pistachio Tart
Fruit Pie
Lemon and Passion Fruit Pavlova
Lime Macarons
Mocha Macarons
Chocolate Mousse Macarons
Chocolate Chocolate Éclairs
Crêpes
Nougat Glacé
Strawberry Ice Cream
Moscato Granita
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins